Old 08-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #401
darjama
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
hell yes i'm in! thank you for reviving! You may want to post in general section to announce it's return as I just thought I'd check randomly today.
good point, thanks!
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:36 AM   #402
javiramallo

Hi Friends!..

Dave, Could you confirm that my submition is up?

Thank you in advanced!

Javi.
javiramallo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #403
DaveKeehl

Hi, I'm not in charge of this new contest so you have to ask to darjama
Old 08-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #404
javiramallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Hi, I'm not in charge of this new contest so you have to ask to darjama

OooPPS...
Thanks Dave.

I just figure out that there is a specific forum threat nfor the new contest.

I'll ask there.

Last edited by javiramallo; 08-10-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:55 AM   #405
darjama

Time to vote! I'm still working out some of the bugs, so please let me know if you have any problems.

https://reamixed.com/vote/
Old 08-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #406
javiramallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
Time to vote! I'm still working out some of the bugs, so please let me know if you have any problems.

People can vote anytime many times as them want?
Old 08-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #407
darjama

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiramallo View Post
People can vote anytime many times as them want?
No, you should only vote once. It's on the honor system, though I do have some controls in place.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:42 PM   #408
EpicSounds

sent my votes with comments. Its not easy or quick to go through these and make comments. You'll probably need an hour

Right now I'll say there were 5 that were close to sounding right. the 3 I picked were fairly similar but none were really awesome.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:39 PM   #409
darjama

I'm considering trying a tournament style vote next month, something like:

day 1-2: pick the best out of group1
day 3-4: pick the best out of group2
day 5-6: pick the best out of group3
day 7-8: pick the best out of group4
day 9-10: pick the best of the winners

It would require people coming back and participating regularly. It would be nice to get more people who didn't mix voting, and I feel like asking people to rate 3 - 4 songs at a time vs 13 might help with that, but who knows.

In this scenario you would just pick your favorite as well, not the top 3.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:12 AM   #410
MisterGTR

Quote:

Just seen this. Nice page. Will get listening..

Worth posting on Facebook pages? Including JT's?
MisterGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:53 AM   #411
MisterGTR

Just voted. Wasn't easy. But the page made it as easy as possible. I like the ability to put notes in as i listened.

There were quite a few better than mine, and i could hear exactly what was wrong with mine when i listened back to back with others. Almost felt like i'd sent in the wrong mix!

Thanks again for organising. And look forward to seeing what others thought of mixes i thought were good and then taking a look through how they achieved the results. And coming back next month to do a better job!
Old 08-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #412
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGTR View Post
Just seen this. Nice page. Will get listening..

Worth posting on Facebook pages? Including JT's?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/reap...3526274370617/
Old 08-24-2020, 06:09 PM   #413
Not_Here

What?! WHat?! WHAT?!

Something to get away from all the nuttiness.

I feel better already!

THANK YOU for providing a contest @darjama

Peace!
Old 09-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #414
darjama

The September contest is live: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=241808

Come on in, the water's fine!
Old 09-13-2020, 06:27 PM   #415
MisterGTR

What are people doing for limiting to -1 dbtp

I seem to have spent 6 hours adding saturation, using several of the event horizon's etc and it's become a guessing game because of intersampling peaks.

I've even tried setting my project at 192, using project settings for fx and while rendering to flac at 44.1 and that doesn't work.

I have resorted to just turning it down and getting close to -1dbtp as possible. But that seems a bit of a rubbish way to do it.

BTW - i'm importing the rendered file back into Reaper and using the SWS Extension Loudness to measure?! Is that in itself flawed?

I know there was another thread about this 3 years ago but that seemed to suggest trial and error too.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #416
PVinKC

JS Master Limiter is the best way to do it. You need a limiter and that's probably the best stock one. I use Event Horizon but never on my Master Buss.

I would encourage you to aim for a great mix first. I always have a parent channel that everything goes thru on it's way to the Master Buss. If I get a great sounding mix that's too loud, you can either select all channels band turn down all the faders at once, or turn down all the busses, or in my case (since I use a parent buss) I can just turn down the parent buss.

You should ideally hit the master buss with all it's buss effects off at around -12 to -18. Then hopefully your master buss FX aren't increasing or decreasing the volume. This is where your Limiter comes in. You use the Limiter to set a ceiling and to get the volume up to your target (in our case -14 LUFS).

The threshold will turn the volume up. There is an Art to using Limiting that starts with your mix and use of Compression. But if you want the most dynamic sounding mix, you should TRY to get to your target without the use of a limiter. Now mind you, it's tough to do.

Personally, I try to get within 2db of my target and up to 4db depending on my vision for the song. More Limiting equals less dynamics, some music likes that and some doesn't.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #417
Tiny Tortoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGTR View Post
What are people doing for limiting to -1 dbtp
It's been clarified now that it's a -1dBFS limit, so no need to worry if intersample peaks goes above this as long as the digital samples themselves don't.
Tiny Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:04 AM   #418
MisterGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVinKC View Post
JS Master Limiter is the best way to do it. You need a limiter and that's probably the best stock one. I use Event Horizon but never on my Master Buss.

I would encourage you to aim for a great mix first. I always have a parent channel that everything goes thru on it's way to the Master Buss. If I get a great sounding mix that's too loud, you can either select all channels band turn down all the faders at once, or turn down all the busses, or in my case (since I use a parent buss) I can just turn down the parent buss.

You should ideally hit the master buss with all it's buss effects off at around -12 to -18. Then hopefully your master buss FX aren't increasing or decreasing the volume. This is where your Limiter comes in. You use the Limiter to set a ceiling and to get the volume up to your target (in our case -14 LUFS).

The threshold will turn the volume up. There is an Art to using Limiting that starts with your mix and use of Compression. But if you want the most dynamic sounding mix, you should TRY to get to your target without the use of a limiter. Now mind you, it's tough to do.

Personally, I try to get within 2db of my target and up to 4db depending on my vision for the song. More Limiting equals less dynamics, some music likes that and some doesn't.
Thank you for the full and detailed reply!

I now remember a video from someone called Audio Hackr now explaining how to b master. I think I might have even copied his preset and used it by rote as I didn't understand limiting. It was around the same time I thought people were stupid for wanting to distort stuff (ie saturation) as 30 years ago when I last did this on tape decks, getting rid of noise and distortion was the goal 😂😂😂

Thanks again. Will slap that on along with 8 JS Saturation plugins to get it loud and I'm done 😂

I finished last last time. So I can't get much worse!! 🤔😂
Old 09-14-2020, 01:15 AM   #419
MisterGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Tortoise View Post
It's been clarified now that it's a -1dBFS limit, so no need to worry if intersample peaks goes above this as long as the digital samples themselves don't.
Ahhh I must have not spotted that. I just remember in last month's I got it to -0.1 as I thought that was the goal in general. And that was pointed out in the feedback, which I'm grateful for, as I've since learned about ISPs on compressed formats. And have a better understanding of compressors, limiting, clipping and saturation.

Even so far as to consider this clip to zero method I saw on YouTube. Since I'm ITB.

I think I've missed a few tricks in how I've used event horizon in this comp as I learned stuff since starting, but I will try it again with TDR limiter 6 on the mixchecks Empires competition. The idea is to get loud without overly compressing things and just using channel strips on everything. I'm still only a few months in and so every month is a revelation!
Old 09-14-2020, 10:20 AM   #420
MisterGTR

That's my submission in.

I'm hoping to do at least as well as last time!

I gave up on the -1dbtp and just went for -1dbfs

Off to do the Empires Mix next.... Ken Lewis has said he'll enter....so that's something to aim for!
Old 09-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #421
MisterGTR

Something i came across while trying to get -1dbtp.

My interface is set at 96lhz. And normally i do my projects at 48khz. But after finishing my mix i set the project setting to 192khz and rendered (with the use project rate for FX set) to try and get the limiters to over-sample and thus avoid the inter-sample peaks getting through (this is my probably wrong very basic knowledge at work). It was better but didn't work like TDR's limiter. Hey ho...no big deal as -1dbfs is cool.

However something that did happen which i didn't pick up until after i had submitted was that one or more of the reverbs (most likely altantis) got louder in the mix because i had used a higher sample rate.

Another lesson learned....check the mix before you send it!
Old 09-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #422
PVinKC

So I have a question. There are ReaPack scripts and extensions that we can run while mixing. Technically they are stock and available to everyone.

However, let's take MPL Align for instance. Since we aren't altering the stock tracks no adjustments we make with scripts that do things like alignment will matter since you don't use the flac we render but use our project files with the stock tracks to render what is presented on the website if I understand things correctly?

So then, we can't in fact use everything available to us that comes stock or free with Reaper after all, or am I misunderstanding how this works?
Old 09-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #423
darjama

I haven't used scripts too much, but I think that should be okay. If you worked on a .rpp file with a script and I open it up without the script it would still render the same, right? Perhaps there are cases where this wouldn't be true, but I'd need to explore it.

I'm open to testing on this if you like. You can send me a flac and an rpp you've worked on with a script. I'll rerender from my portable install and see if it nulls with your when I flip the phase on one of them.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:30 AM   #424
PVinKC

That's doable. I'll try this on the next monthly contest for ease of access to tracks.

Regrettably I didn't get to participate in the last contest as things are turbulent here...my Mother is in Hospice and we are trying to sell her house so that we can pay for her staying at the nursing home which of course Hospice and Medicare do NOT cover!
Old 10-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #425
darjama

Just a little over 13 hours left to get your October entries in!
Old 10-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #426
MisterGTR

Quote:
Just a little over 13 hours left to get your October entries in!
Moved house so didn't get time to do my submission.

Will give someone else a chance to finish last.. I'll be back to win my title back next month.

Best of everyone. If I get a chance I'll vote.
Old 11-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #427
darjama

The November contest has begun, hope you can join us!

https://reamixed.com

https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=244327

Last edited by darjama; 11-01-2020 at 02:59 PM. Reason: links were missing
Old 11-27-2020, 02:14 PM   #428
darjama

Please take a minute to fill out this survey to help us improve the contest.

https://forms.gle/aAga2oBJZ8mjxZ13A
Old 12-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #429
MisterGTR

Daryll

Can i just say the new player is amazing.

I set it playing in the background and just listened to the chorus for all the entries blind. Made some notes. Just to pick out differences, things i noticed, liked and what makes a 'better mix'. And i'll go back and listen to other parts. Then use those notes to mark. Makes it very easy.

Also gives me an idea of what i should be doing which is the whole point for me.

Great job - thank you once again for running this and doing all the work to make it work so well.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:45 AM   #430
darjama

I've brought the archive online, with results from the previous contests and the old files:
https://reamixed.com/archive

Starting with January 20201, we'll be switching to a star rating system. In the survey it was what a solid majority of people wanted. And I think it should be more fair. I hate seeing solid mixes get low scores as happens sometimes.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:56 AM   #431
PVinKC

Great news! Love to see the attention to fairness taking a front seat. Happy to see it!
Old 01-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #432
darjama

The January contest is up. As mentioned before we're changing the voting from picking your top 3 mixes to giving a star rating (.5 to 5 stars) to each entry.

https://reamixed.com/

https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=247307
Old 01-13-2021, 06:13 PM   #433
eq1

Are the results for the original contest posted somewhere? I go to the original website [https://reapercontest.wixsite.com/home/submissions] and find December 2019 material, for instance, but I don't see the results anywhere. I want to know which of the Dec. 2019 mixes actually won...

Last edited by eq1; 01-13-2021 at 11:10 PM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:43 PM   #434
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
Are the results for the original contest posted somewhere? I go to the original website [https://reapercontest.wixsite.com/home/submissions] and find December 2019 material, for instance, but I don't see the results anywhere. I want to know which of the Dec. 2019 mixes actually won...
Did you mean last months?
Old 01-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #435
eq1

^ No, the original contest, Dec 2019. The link I posted goes to 9 mix entries from that month... I looked all over the website, and in this thread, but don't see results.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:50 PM   #436
Tiny Tortoise

The original Reaper Contest had results posted to the monthly forum threads. This one is December 2019's: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=228028
Tiny Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:11 PM   #437
eq1

^ Thanks. Looks like I picked the winner - yours!
Old 12-08-2022, 07:33 AM   #438
darjama

If you're interested there's a reaMIXed t-shirt available here: https://reamixed.myshopify.com/

Though only thru the end of December 2022.

Old 01-05-2023, 05:09 AM   #439
King Stupid

I have a couple questions:

1.) Can I make my own impulses and include those in the mix and provide them in the submission?

2.) We submitting a -14 luff and -.1db mix? Isn't this basically a mastered track as well, then? (I'm worse at mastering than I am mixing, but OK I'll do it if I must.)

3.) If #2 is correct, maybe it would be cool to, in the future, work as a team, i.e. one person mixes, and another masters?

I'll have more questions.

/edit: OK heres my 4th(ish) question: Am I allowed to add a track that contains information from an already included track to use to make changes to another already included track?

Last edited by King Stupid; 01-05-2023 at 06:31 AM.
King Stupid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 07:13 AM   #440
Wallaby

Default Voting method has changed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by insub View Post
I like this voting method better than last month's. Great job DaveKeehl!
What has changed ?
Wallaby is online now   Reply With Quote