Old 10-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
ErBird
Human being with feelings

Default I've lost objectivity

Hi. This is my mix for the October Mix-Challenge(.com) Can someone give me a listener's perspective on how it sounds? Is it reasonably balanced? Closer to legit or amateur? Thx!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r0x...ew?usp=sharing
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #2
tspring

I think the mix is legit. But once you achieve the level of quality that you have in this mix, things get very subjective. One thing that I would do is to look back at previous contests on the website (if possible) and see if I could discern a pattern that might give me a clue to the tastes of the judges. For example, I notice that you a light touch with the bass guitar. That is neither wrong or right, but can you tell if the judges are bass lovers? Or do they like a light touch such as you have applied? Your recording uses a heavy reverb wash to give atmosphere. This is a legitimate artistic choice, but one consequence of the choice is loss of intelligibility of the vocal. I think that this tradeoff is unavoidable. If the judges have commented on vocal intelligibility as a major consideration in the mixes that they like, then you have some decisions to make.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:46 PM   #3
ErBird

Hey, thanks a lot for listening. I had a feeling I overdid the reverb on the vocals and guitars. Hopefully I get to round 2 so I can fix things up a little.

I mainly mixed this on SRH440's. Listening loudly on monitors the low-end is definitely lacking some oomph. I boosted the master bus at 80 hz and it helped a lot. I'll experiment with that vs. working on the kick and bass directly.
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:06 PM   #4
TonE

Can say beautiful guitar melody in the beginning. Then some washy vocals, as mentioned above, but I am super-amateur myself. Vocals more in the foreground could be nice, maybe less distortion in general, but that would be my taste only. Bass mixing style of 1 minute reaper tutorials master I like quite a lot, he found a great style. Here, Rhino for example. https://iddqdmusic.bandcamp.com/
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:08 PM   #5
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBird View Post
I had a feeling I overdid the reverb on the vocals and guitars.
Are you opening a reference song you like in parallel in your project always? This way you can always quickly check your style against the reference, so you would hear immediately if you have too much reverb on the vocals and guitars and so on.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote