Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #41
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Deft View Post
I tend to think of scales and chords as the same thing.
To an extent, they are and should be!

I'm not flaunting the steps I posted, just the only reference point I have for this thread. Meaning, once I got over the hump, the idea of what is playing the progression, vs what is playing a solo, vs what is the rhythm part sort of blurred into wait for it.... "music". What an eye-opening wonderful moment that was.

You know when you hear real good players and they sound like they are kind of soloing but you can still hear all the chord changes, even though no one is playing underlying chord changes? This gets you that.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:27 PM   #42
Tone Deft
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Here's some Modal Flavors over a G note...

Occasionally, I stop on or emphasize notes that are important to that mode. What you want to listen for is how the flavor or mood changes between each one which should be easy to hear.

We can discuss why I'm droning a G note instead of G chord later.

I've been jamming to the modes in G with youtube backing tracks and going back to your video. I just looked back and now I realize that's what YT stood for in your post, lol for real. facepalm.

I try to play along but I haven't learned the scales proper. it's the ear/brain/finger coordination. I know not to look for shortcuts, this is all ear and feel and grind, IMO. I didn't want to stall the impending conversation because I have to study more.

I can tell you're emphasizing the flavor notes, probably the 6th and 2nd flat and natural and the tonic for reference, maybe the fifth(?) if it's closer (safe note). I think you show some escape routes or 'odd note' resolution in the scales. I guess if we were in the same room I could auto-pause/start you on command.

I had hopes of a proper dissection in a more timely manner. I will do exactly that if that's what's recommended. I kind of sketched out my goals now, verify the above, writing this helps.

I got through school, I can grind and learn this. the fog is lifting over the path.

impressions so far...
Phrygian is the most fun to get lost in.

I'm used to Ionian and Mixolydian

skipped Locrian

Dorian reminded me of The Cure (my roots, I'm old), or one jam did

Aeolian I should know by now FFS, it's the Natural Minor, that's everywhere.

b6 is tough to fit in unless I play it out of octave. that was a great tip from someone.

b2 is easier to fit in but takes thought.

4 is fun to bend up into a b5. makes me rethink my choice of always locking down my bridges, bending notes is now more accessible to my brain, not just wanking on the b3. just the 4th is awkward unless I'm on the IV chord.

b6 is that extra flavor sauce I mostly play around with in minor keys

the 1, 3, 5 and 7 were studied in my 'last level' learning the pentatonics. they feel like old familiar home turf.

I keep a printout of each mode's 'tonal number' printed out on a fretboard so I can SEE what I will eventually intuit. I can slap my fingers down on the frets to create what were prior to me exotic chords, they're not, they're modal, as I see it now. I can make odd chords, and make them make sense in context, even just hold it and chukka on a fist of curated notes.

I want to keep this short, could rant and maybe correct myself above. just wanted to give a shout out while I'm still hacking away at this in the background.
Tone Deft is offline   Reply With Quote