Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #1
BeardedGnome
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper always crashes when removing SpectraLayers VST3 Plugin

This is on v5.981 x64.

With the Spectralayers vst plugin every time I remove the effect (not disable or bypass) Reaper will crash.

Crashes will also happen with certain things like extending clip length (looping) or even deleting a track that had the plugin on it.
BeardedGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:39 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

I can't seem to reproduce this. It happens every time for you?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
BeardedGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I can't seem to reproduce this. It happens every time for you?
Incidentally I just found out what seems to cause the issue. It only seems to happen with more than 4 tracks (I generally import many tracks and solo to edit one by one, deleting as I go).

When I just edit one track with SL everything works fine, I can remove SL, loop the clip, etc. However once I have 5 or more tracks the crash happens without fail.

As soon as I add a 5th track it will start crashing when the plugin is removed or the clip is looped by dragging the border, I'm wondering if its related to RAM (my system has 16gb).

If it matters here is my workflow, though I should mention it seems to crash with 5+ tracks if SL is removed in anyway and order of operations doesn't seem to matter, just anyway the plugin is removed (including deleting a track that it is on) or if the clip is stretched (as in looping with loop source by dragging the clip border).

I will edit with the SpectraLayers Plugin then apply the FX as a new take (same channel setup as original file mono->mono). I will then select that new take with Shift alt T. Next I will Disable the effect using the FX power switch button on the track.

EDIT: also just happened with only 3 tracks but this time I had Reaeq on after SL
And just happened with a single track, fx turned off but SL unbypassed (box still checked) when item was split.

Last edited by BeardedGnome; 08-13-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:23 AM   #4
BeardedGnome

TEMPORARY SOLUTION:

I haven't received any new responses and the new update hasn't seemed to fix anything, however I found a partial solution.

Make sure you only have the SpectraLayers VST on your track (only one single media item). Edit the item in the SL plugin, making sure not to adjust the bounds of the clip, split, or anything like that.

Once finished editing render the FX as a new take. With both takes now showing go to the FX and remove SL, don't just bypass (bypassing may lead to crash but I'm not sure), again making sure not to adjust the clip length or split anything.

After the FX have been removed you can now use Shift+alt+T to select the spectrally edited take and can now apply other FX without crashing.

This works regardless of the amount of tracks loaded in Reaper if you go one at a time.

Every time you want to use SL just repeat these steps, if you're used to SL as a program you will want to avoid using Ctrl+Z to undo as it will remove the plugin (might not if SL is set to its own window), use undo in the edit menu of the plugin.