Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-29-2019, 01:54 AM   #1
odelay
Human being with feelings

Default Project compatibility between Windows and Mac versions.

Hi. I'm using Reaper in a Windows computer. A friend of mine is interested in getting Reaper for Mac. I was wondering if we could exchange projects - that is, if he will be able to open a Reaper project created with the Windows version in his Mac, add a few tracks, and then save the project. Then send me his project folder... and in turn - will I be able to open the Mac-saved project with Reaper in my Windows PC? Kind regards.
odelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
solger

Hi,

in general, Reaper projects can be exchanged without major problems between the different platforms. Basically make sure to do a Save project as with the Create subdirectory for project and Copy all media into project directory options checked at the bottom to create a self-contained project folder with all the media files used in the project.

The main thing to look out for are 3rd-party plugins used in the project. If possible, a good strategy for a higher cross-platform compatibility is to use the VST version of the same plugin on both Mac and Windows (instead of using the AU version on Mac).
And in case there might be certain plugin incompatibilities, there's always the option to render these plugin tracks to audio (on an additional track) or to exchange the raw audio stems, etc.

Last edited by solger; 07-30-2019 at 11:14 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:50 AM   #3
odelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Hi,

in general, Reaper projects can be exchanged without major problems between the different platforms. Basically make sure to do a Save project as with the Create subdirectory for project and Copy all media into project directory options checked at the bottom to create a self-contained project folder with all the media files used in the project.

The main thing to look out for are 3rd-party plugins used in the project. If possible, a good strategy for a higher cross-platform compatibility is to use the VST version of the same plugin on both Mac and Windows (instead of using the AU version on Mac).
And in case there might be certain plugin incompatibilities, there's always the option to render these plugin tracks to audio (on an additional track) or to exchange the raw audio stems, etc.
Thank you!!!
odelay is offline   Reply With Quote