Old 09-25-2018, 02:27 AM   #1
phunkyg
Human being with feelings

Default ReaControl24 - Latest Release and News

Hi All, I am @phunkyg and I am now the maintainer of the ReaControl24 middleware for Reaper and Digidesign Control24 hardware.

About ReaControl24:

It is a python project to run alongside Reaper that allows communication with a Digidesign Control24 digital control surface using Reaper.OSC. Once installed and running, you should be able to use:
  • Faders (smooth and responsive, all 24 at once if you need)
  • Pan on Pots, with LED feedback and fine adjustment (hold CMD button)
  • VU meters (except the BUS ones - working on that)
  • Scribble strips (track names, last edited param, configuable)
  • Channel Strip buttons
  • Navigation
  • Transport
  • Jog-Wheel (reaper native Scrub and Shuttle)
  • Clock (beats, time, samples as selected from the desk button)
  • All main surface buttons are mappable to reaper action learn or via Reaper.OSC file

How do I get it?
Visit the Releases page and grab the latest download. Follow the README.md for instructions.

Can I get involved? Can I get new features? Can I get a bugfix? Can I pass back test results?
Yes, Grab yourself a github account here
Then visit the repository page to see what is going on, add an issue, or whatever you need to.
I will also check this thread for activity periodically.

Will you support other control surfaces like the ProControl?
There is work going on a the moment to make this possible, but it is difficult without having physical access to one. There are some brave volunteers already willing to help out, but more are always welcome.

What help do you need
Currently the focus is on these work streams, so any help is appreciated! The skills needed are in brackets at the end:
  • Installation packaging including scripts to help install prerequisites (Powershell, Macos dev)
  • Front End / GUI / helper app (Python, tkinter or similar, Windows dev, Macos dev)
  • More mappings, stateful controls (Python)
  • ProControl support (Python)
  • ProControl testing (owning one, having time, being nice)

Why the new thread?:
Unfortunately, phasewalker is no longer with us, so his original postings are locked away in his accounts. I agreed to take up the project, so it seems a good idea to gain control over the threads and repo.
The original thread is here
From today, I'm closing off the old thread and redirecting the new news and gossip into this thread, so I can gain control over editing and updating. I am also forking the github repo for the same reason.
phunkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:28 AM   #2
phunkyg

Default Windows Setup Video

Hi all,

To help with the awkward Windows setup, there is now a help video in the doc folder of the ReaControl github page.

If you're been having any issues getting installed in Windows, please watch this video to see if it helps. As always, all feedback gratefully received.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #3
lokey

Default procontrol support

any updates about this working for a procontrol with fader pack expansions?
lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #4
lokey

Default ReaProControl

A ReaProControl script would be awesome! Can anyone make this happen?
Old 10-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #5
Subers

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkyg View Post
Hi all,

To help with the awkward Windows setup, there is now a help video in the doc folder of the ReaControl github page.

If you're been having any issues getting installed in Windows, please watch this video to see if it helps. As always, all feedback gratefully received.
Hi.
I can not go to the link to the video. Not available says.
Subers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:48 AM   #6
phunkyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subers View Post
Hi.
I can not go to the link to the video. Not available says.
My bad. Try this link:

https://github.com/phunkyg/ReaContro...dows_Setup.mp4
Old 10-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #7
Subers

Quote:
Thank you! Upload completed.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:16 AM   #8
Subers

Hi. Such error

C:\ReaControl24-1.1.2>python control24d.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "control24d.py", line 650, in <module>
main()
File "control24d.py", line 632, in main
SESSION = C24session(opts, networks)
File "control24d.py", line 555, in __init__
self.thread_pcap_loop = Sniffer(self)
File "control24d.py", line 262, in __init__
c24session.pcap_sess.setfilter(filtstr)
File "pcap.pyx", line 288, in pcap.pcap.setfilter
OSError: ethernet addresses supported only on ethernet/FDDI/token ring/802.11/ATM LANE/Fibre Channel
Old 10-17-2018, 02:00 AM   #9
phunkyg

Default Logged

Quote:
Hi. Such error

main()
OSError: ethernet addresses supported only on ethernet/FDDI/token ring/802.11/ATM LANE/Fibre Channel
Logged here: https://github.com/phunkyg/ReaControl24/issues/2
Old 11-22-2018, 03:16 AM   #10
phunkyg

Default Release v1.1.3 made today

Hi all,

A new release has been made available with a few OSC client fixes and desk mappings.

Quote:
This release contains a fix for scribble strip updates, making the 'Show Values, Show Names' etc. buttons usable. The wait time to return to default after an update has also been reduced, making them feel more responsive.
When Reaper sends a 'hail mary' of text when a project loads, there is now a trap to ensure this 'spam' does not clog up the traffic flow, while still storing the values for later display.
In addition, many new Reaper.OSC mappings have been created to enable more buttons and functions being available via the desk. OSC addresses that send text strings have also been mapped wherever possible.
This release also lights up some of the Bus VU meters with OSC addresses for MASTER VU, so 2 channels are now shown from the master. The 2 additional scribble strips have been located and mapped to various text addresses, experimentally. These sometimes show up when region names/numbers or markers are encountered.
If you are using ReaControl24 please give this release a try and please feed back here or as github issues.

There are more changes in the pipeline too to help assist with the setup process by providing clearer instructions, and logging files to more sensible areas. Stay Tuned!

Edit: Just a reminder, as this release has a new Reaper.OSC file, you have to copy that into your reaper OSC directory!

Last edited by phunkyg; 11-23-2018 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #11
Lazloos

Quote:
Hi. Such error

main()
Is there a solution for this error? I am trying to set it up on windows and I get this same error
Lazloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:15 AM   #12
phunkyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazloos View Post
Is there a solution for this error? I am trying to set it up on windows and I get this same error
Hi Lazloos,

The workaround for this would be to supply the command line parameter that specifies the adapter to use.
For some reason, on some people's systems, the adapter chosen by default is not a correct type. This might be because some other (strange) adapter type exists.

To get to the bottom of this, could you run the command with the --help command line switch and PM me the results?
This will display your list of adapters, you can now specify which one you want to use on the command line.

Edit: A little more info...

To get the list of adapters for Windows, this registry key is queried:

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I am thinking that more than "Ethernet, Token Ring" etc. appear in this list. We're only really interested in Ethernet so I am looking at how it might be possible to filter these out.
Unfortunately I don't have a Windows system with any examples! I'm hoping either one of you can show me what they look like so I can program a filter.

Last edited by phunkyg; 12-11-2018 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Update about reg key
Old 12-17-2018, 11:39 PM   #13
Lazloos

hi phunkyg, thanks for the feedback! I figured out that the problem was as you suggested: the default device being detected was the npcap loopback adapter not the ethernet adapter.

I posted some more details on the phunkyg fork on github under issues but in short I got it working by doing the following:

I used the -n option (python control24d.py -n=2525246246) it said theat the network I inputed was not valid but it outputs all your adapters with the ids in the error message so I copied the one which said ethernet ( {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx} Ethernet ) out of the list and ran the command:

python control24d.py --network={xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx} Ethernet

and it worked now I get: desk detected :MAINUNIT 1.37 @....
!!!!
I also had to specify the IP of my computer for control24osc.py:

python control24osc.py --connect=192.168.0.55:9125

since it is using the ip from the loopback adapter. now everything works.

it would be great if the Pro Control support could continue evolving. happy to help out in any way.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:45 AM   #14
phunkyg

Quote:
hi phunkyg, thanks for the feedback! I figured out that the problem was as you suggested: the default device being detected was the npcap loopback adapter not the ethernet adapter.

since it is using the ip from the loopback adapter. now everything works.

it would be great if the Pro Control support could continue evolving. happy to help out in any way.
YAY!

*does a little snoopy dance*

Thanks for the feedback about the loopback adapter. That makes sense now. I couldn't work out why the average windows machine would have some funky adapter type. Seems we added it ourselves!

Edit: In terms of helping out on the Pro Control support, as you get into using your device with Pro Control, can you make some notes on what works and what doesn't, and how you think it *should* work?
I have seen pictures and diagrams of that surface but I can't figure out how the limited number of scribble strips and the strange matrix pad should function.
It will probably make a lot more sense to you as you are used to it!
My plan is to clone the oscclient python file into a new one for pro control, then start to change it accordingly.
Eventually I'll get some sort of sensing and launching sorted out, but for now this would give us somewhere to work from.
Now you're in github, let's take all this over there. You'll see there is a card for Pro Control support in the project section, but you could also log issues. Perhaps just log one 'big' issue at the moment to collect your notes in, then we can review it?

Last edited by phunkyg; 12-18-2018 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:07 AM   #15
phunkyg

Default Temp files in temp dirs

Hello again, PhunkyG here with a quick ReaControl update.

Firstly, thanks to everyone getting involved over at github! Sorry for being slow moving on the issues you've reported, IRL activity is at a peak right now but I'm hoping to devote some extra time here soon.

A couple of things are going on: Testing for Pro Control support is starting up in the branch DEV_OtherDevices. It is early days right now but hey, any movement is good right

For anyone that has the problem of getting started up because folder rights for logging cause problems, there is a pending fix in branch DEV_TempFiles. This moves all logging to somewhere within the default TEMP directory of the platform. This needs a good testing before being merged down so anyone willing to give that a spin would be helping out a lot!

I see prices of these devices on eBay etc. continue to climb. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not but a big Hi to anyone that just acquired one and is looking for Reaper compatibility!
Old 02-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #16
phunkyg

Default A wild ProControl appears!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avid-Digi...r/333073357582
Old 05-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #17
lokey

Default Pro Control and Expansion Pack Reaper Compatibility

I'm intersted in helping get Pro Control working with Reaper if you need someone to test things or anything I can help with. I have a Pro Control and Fader Expansion Pack.

Quote:
Hello again, PhunkyG here with a quick ReaControl update.

Firstly, thanks to everyone getting involved over at github! Sorry for being slow moving on the issues you've reported, IRL activity is at a peak right now but I'm hoping to devote some extra time here soon.

A couple of things are going on: Testing for Pro Control support is starting up in the branch DEV_OtherDevices. It is early days right now but hey, any movement is good right

For anyone that has the problem of getting started up because folder rights for logging cause problems, there is a pending fix in branch DEV_TempFiles. This moves all logging to somewhere within the default TEMP directory of the platform. This needs a good testing before being merged down so anyone willing to give that a spin would be helping out a lot!

I see prices of these devices on eBay etc. continue to climb. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not but a big Hi to anyone that just acquired one and is looking for Reaper compatibility!
Old 05-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #18
lokey

Default Pro Control Support

Quote:
Second this
Old 05-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #19
phunkyg

@lazloos and @lokey

I'm trying to figure out a format that might work for remotely mapping the Pro Control devices.

Possibly the easiest would be a time-synced video plus debug trace of pressing and touching all the controls in turn.

I believe phase walker did something similar when they originally did the Control24 although actually at a desk, where we don't have that luxury (as I don't have one).

Do you think that would be possible? Just a potato quality (good enough to see which control group and control) video would do, no audio needed as such.

Does that sound like a good way forward?
Old 06-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #20
phunkyg

Default DEV_OtherDevices update

So there are some new commits in this branch.

There is a new daemon version ReaControl. py which should in theory deal with multiple devices and auto launch the required client code.

This should open up support for ProControl fader pack and other extensions.

If any ProControl folks out there could give this a spin then I'd be very grateful!

For Control24 users this will also mean a much simpler setup and launch process hopefully!
Old 08-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #21
Gebus

Default Please tell me,..

Please tell me this will work with the DIGI002 control surface!

I think it uses the same ethernet protocol over firewire. I will gladly test if needed.
Gebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #22
freshmade

Default Setting Up Ports Correctly?

Hello, I'm working with ReaControl24 and I think I'm almost there.

Everything seems to be installed correctly and I am able to see the 'desk' come up when I launch the control24d.py process. -- I see the control24 ID and it matches the in the console utility.

However, I haven't been able to actually connect to the DAW. The control24osc.py is stuck looking at the incorrect network adapter and IP. I've tried several combinations of IP:Port using the --help function, but none seem to find the correct connection. It wants to default to a specific network adapter that is for storage and unrelated.

Also... I use several different network adapters for storage reasons, etc. The REAPER OSC dialog is forcing a specific IP in the "Local IP" input box. Maybe that's fine? Not sure. But it's not the IP of the adapter that the Control24 is connected to.

Thanks for your help!
freshmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #23
Lazloos

Quote:
@lazloos and @lokey

I'm trying to figure out a format that might work for remotely mapping the Pro Control devices.

Possibly the easiest would be a time-synced video plus debug trace of pressing and touching all the controls in turn.

I believe phase walker did something similar when they originally did the Control24 although actually at a desk, where we don't have that luxury (as I don't have one).

Do you think that would be possible? Just a potato quality (good enough to see which control group and control) video would do, no audio needed as such.

Does that sound like a good way forward?
Hey @phunkyg I have been checking in on this project from time to time to see the progress, but was too busy over the summer. I have some time now and would be definitely interested in trying out this mapping business, and I think I could probably do the video you describe, only tricky part would be syncing the video with the log. Many of the pro control buttons are mapped already, just to buttons that exist on a control 24 and not a pro control.

what I would really like to get going is the scribble strips though because with the existing mapping everything is largely functional for mixing but you have no labels.

thanks!

hopefully @lokey comes back to lend a hand.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #24
Lazloos

Quote:
I also had to specify the IP of my computer for control24osc.py:

python control24osc.py --connect=192.168.0.55:9125
@freshmade did you try this? I will have to look back at my settings but you should be able to specify all the correct network adapters through the - options
Old 12-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #25
phunkyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmade View Post
Hello, I'm working with ReaControl24 and I think I'm almost there.

Everything seems to be installed correctly and I am able to see the 'desk' come up when I launch the control24d.py process. -- I see the control24 ID and it matches the in the console utility.

However, I haven't been able to actually connect to the DAW. The control24osc.py is stuck looking at the incorrect network adapter and IP. I've tried several combinations of IP:Port using the --help function, but none seem to find the correct connection. It wants to default to a specific network adapter that is for storage and unrelated.

Also... I use several different network adapters for storage reasons, etc. The REAPER OSC dialog is forcing a specific IP in the "Local IP" input box. Maybe that's fine? Not sure. But it's not the IP of the adapter that the Control24 is connected to.

Thanks for your help!
I think I've seen Reaper dialog being fussy like this before but not sure
I have an answer to offer,but is most likely where your problem is. As you seem to be
up and running with the daemon you have
that bit sorted.

As All the connections made locally are only
loopbacks I would try to get configured
on the 'wrong' subnet first and get things
working, then gradually move your config
to where you prefer it to be, finding what's possible.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #26
phunkyg

Quote:

There is a new daemon version ReaControl. py which should in theory deal with multiple devices and auto launch the required client code.

If any ProControl folks out there could give this a spin then I'd be very grateful!

For Control24 users this will also mean a much simpler setup and launch process hopefully!
Hi again everyone.

Happy New Year!

If the new year is bringing you a bit of free time, I'm still looking foe testing and mapping help for Pro Control and other devices, as well as regression testing for Control24.

Please grab the DEV_OtherDevices branch and give it a whirl!

If I can get this tested, it also brings a new easier to use launch based on one process instead of 2.

Thanks to everyone that has DM'd me on this, pff to continue to talk there, here or on GitHub.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:38 AM   #27
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hi again everyone.

Happy New Year!

If the new year is bringing you a bit of free time, I'm still looking foe testing and mapping help for Pro Control and other devices, as well as regression testing for Control24.

Please grab the DEV_OtherDevices branch and give it a whirl!

If I can get this tested, it also brings a new easier to use launch based on one process instead of 2.

Thanks to everyone that has DM'd me on this, pff to continue to talk there, here or on GitHub.
Happy New Year !!

I'd love to add this to CSI, can it speak Midi or OSC ?
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #28
phunkyg

OK ignore my last, from your wiki it looks like CSI does the same job as the OSC client in ReaControl.

So to replace that with CSI I think a MIDI client would work or it might be possible to skip MIDI as a comms layer and send raw bytes between the 2 with a lightweight shim client, depending on where it could talk to CSI?

I'll dig deeper into CSI code and interfaces see if I can spot a good place to hook in.

Edit: doh! closed source? My bad assumption when I saw github.
So how do you think it might work?

Last edited by phunkyg; 01-07-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #29
MixR

Quote:

Brilliant, Phunkg. I am having the following trouble:

I have a Main Unit plus three Fader Packs (in the following order:
  • Fader Pack One (NAME: 1-8)
  • Main Unit (NAME: MAIN UNIT)
  • Fader Pack Two NAME: 17-24
  • Fader Pack Three NAME: 25-32

This was the outcome:

Code:
Network Handler Started
Device detected: 1-8      1.37 at 00 a0 7e a0 01 92
No client code for this device 
device session 1 closing
device session 1 closed
Exception in thread device session 1_thread_listener:
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python@2/2.7.17_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "ReaControl.py", line 333, in run
    self.name, self.session.client_process.pid)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'pid'

Device detected: 17-24    1.37 at 00 a0 7e a0 13 46
device session 2 closing
device session 2 closed
Exception in thread device session 2_thread_listener:
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python@2/2.7.17_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
    self.run()

Device detected: MAINUNIT 1.37 at 00 a0 7e a0 3b 0b
device session 3_thread_listener Pipe Listener waiting for first data from pid 46094
Process Process-1:
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python@2/2.7.17_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/process.py", line 267, in _bootstrap
    self.run()
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python@2/2.7.17_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/process.py", line 114, in run
    self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
  File "/Users/MixR/Library/Application Support/REAPER/Scripts/ReaControl24-DEV_OtherDevices/procontrolosc.py", line 1418, in __init__
    self.server = OSC.parseUrlStr(opts.server)[0]
AttributeError: Values instance has no attribute 'server'
Device detected: 25-32    1.37 at 00 a0 7e a0 1b 48
device session 4 closing
device session 4 closed
Exception in thread device session 4_thread_listener:
    self.run()
I then tried with just the Main Unit and got the following:
With just the main unit connected:
Code:
Network Handler Started
Device detected: MAINUNIT 1.37 at 00 a0 7e a0 3b 0b
device session 1_thread_listener Pipe Listener waiting for first data from pid 46098
Process Process-1:
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python@2/2.7.17_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/process.py", line 267, in _bootstrap
    self.run()
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python@2/2.7.17_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/process.py", line 114, in run
    self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
  File "/Users/MixR/Library/Application Support/REAPER/Scripts/ReaControl24-DEV_OtherDevices/procontrolosc.py", line 1418, in __init__
    self.server = OSC.parseUrlStr(opts.server)[0]
AttributeError: Values instance has no attribute 'server'
MixR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:49 AM   #30
phunkyg

Default DEV_Otherdevices work continues

So, thanks to MixR there has been a bit of forward movement with the DEV_OtherDevices branch, which is opening the door to support for ProControl, then hopefully other devices might follow.

To be clear, this has changed the framework to allow for detection of different devices and auto-creation of one or many different client processes to deal.

There is still a long way to go, but the next steps are to map out the devices and make button/control maps for each to start opening up possible workflows.

As a nice side effect, launching ReaControl is now a single entry point, so only one script launch and terminal window is required. I'll be taking a look into packaging this properly soon so that it installs as a normal module does from a python perspective, has a config GUI and ultimately so it will launch either from a single icon double-click or when Reaper does.

So, please muck in if you can... this release still needs help to regression test the Control24 support and move forward with ProControl mappings.

The specific branch is at github here:

https://github.com/phunkyg/ReaContro...V_OtherDevices
Old 04-06-2020, 09:02 PM   #31
Lazloos

hey I have my procontrol hooked up again, ready to map out the buttons but I tried the Reacontrol.py from dev_otherdevices and I can't get it to work . so I will open up an issue on the github but if I am to map out the buttons on the procontrol should aI use that or go back to control24d.py?

cheers
Old 04-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #32
Lazloos

@MixR did you get two way communication between the ProC and Reaper going?

I read your issue on github and I have the same problem you had at the end where the ProC responds to Reaper but not the other way around. I can't figure out if you fixed the problem and how.

But I am happy to report that for the brief moment it was receiving info from reaper the scribstips were showing the dbs as you move the fader. Encouraging progress!
Old 04-10-2020, 11:07 PM   #33
Lazloos

I mapped out the buttons for the Pro control based on the hex addresses in the ReaControl.py -d terminal window and created an excel sheet here hopefully this is helpful!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Procontrol Map.xlsx.zip (158.1 KB, 219 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #34
Lazloos

I have been digging and wiresharking and I was able to resolve most, if not all, the addressing errors for ProC so the VUs, Pan LEDs, Auto mode LEDs, clock and Scrib Strips (already resolved by phunky g) all work, I submitted a pull request to phunkyg on the git hub to update the main repository. I will soon have the Map updated also, so, if we can figure out why the ProC refuses to talk to Reaper but can receive info from using the new single file ReaControl.py method in Dev_Otherdevices we will have near full functionality for ProC_ntr_l!!
Old 04-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #35
Lazloos

FYI we got this working. we are well on our way to having the scrib strips VUs, clock, pan and automode all working!
Old 04-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #36
phunkyg

Quote:
FYI we got this working. we are well on our way to having the scrib strips VUs, clock, pan and automode all working!
Yep we're taking this to the next stage now, getting the refactoring done for the classes and mapping out the device.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:25 AM   #37
MixR

Quote:
Brilliant work, Lazloos - I saw that you had been working with PhunkG as I was receiving Github emails.
I am out of lockdown now and am catching up with the developments. Bearing in mind I am the least technical if our small group I will try and contribute as much as I can to the project.
I am on the latest release from PhunkG and now have bi-directional comms which is a result. You have made quite a bit of progress with the spreadsheet and if I can help you with that I'll be very happy to carry on specific mappings (so we don't end up doing double the work).
Great to see this is coming together and very excited by the prospect of getting these control surfaces fully working in Reaper.
MixR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #38
locostudios

Default Procontrol

Hey all, very excited about this project. I own a ProControl and a D-Command (both just the 8 fader main units). I tried the V-Control Pro with the ProControl to get it up and running with Cubase. Turns out they are missing a lot of functionality in Cubase as it seems they mainly work out the ProTools way of working. The main reason I acquired these units was to make use of the dedicated DSP Edit section (ProControl) and EQ and Dynamics (D-Command). I got them real cheap so I took the chance that someone out there is working out a way to make use of these great controllers - and here I am!

I'm a producer/engineer, and python and programming is very new to me. Just installing the prereq's was quite the challenge, but I managed after a while. Reacontrol is up and running and responding to button clicks and fader moves, but I cant figure out the client. For the ProControl I've tried running procontrolosc.py - but I'm getting error messages - even different ones if I type in the flags and such with ip address and ports.

Below is a readout from terminal when i type in "sudo python procontrolosc.py". Please let me know if anyone can see something Ive done wrong. Using Mac Pro 5.1 with Mojave. Hope I can be a resource to this great project!

sudo python procontrolosc.py
Exception in thread thread_osc_listener:
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 810, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 763, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File "procontrolosc.py", line 1388, in _manage_osc_listener
self.listen)
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/OSC.py", line 1765, in __init__
UDPServer.__init__(self, server_address, self.RequestHandlerClass)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 420, in __init__
self.server_bind()
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 434, in server_bind
self.socket.bind(self.server_address)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 228, in meth
return getattr(self._sock,name)(*args)
TypeError: an integer is required
locostudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #39
Lazloos

Quote:
Originally Posted by locostudios View Post
Below is a readout from terminal when i type in "sudo python procontrolosc.py". Please let me know if anyone can see something Ive done wrong.
hey @locostudios you should be typing
sudo python ReaControl.py not procontrolosc.py

also make sure you are using trhe files from Dev_OtherDevices branch , not Release, if you want to use it with procontrol.

it is better to open issues on phunky g's github for this sort of help though.

@MixR welcome back, Phunky g is working on refactoring the code so I think we just wait until that is ready to test
Old 05-25-2020, 02:13 AM   #40
locostudios

Quote:
hey @locostudios you should be typing
sudo python ReaControl.py not procontrolosc.py

also make sure you are using trhe files from Dev_OtherDevices branch , not Release, if you want to use it with procontrol.

it is better to open issues on phunky g's github for this sort of help though.

@MixR welcome back, Phunky g is working on refactoring the code so I think we just wait until that is ready to test
Thanks Lazloos - I thought I had to run both a server and client, but phunkyg just messaged me saying reacontrol.py is all that I need to run. I found the issue though, sort of. I can't get two way comm by connecting one of mye ethernet ports on my mac pro directly to the ProControl. I tried with a router with DHCP, connecting only one port of the mac and the ProControl, and it works! Very little is mapped though, is that the case? Or something wrong here at my end? Getting meters, but no scribble strips for example.

Sorry if I'm posting the wrong place - I will type it up on Github as well.

And yes - phunkyg referred me to the Dev_OtherDevices branch, so I should be using the right version.
locostudios is offline   Reply With Quote