Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
JohnRosso
Human being with feelings

Default Slow graphic performance on MacOS

Hello,

I made a video. This is a comparison between graphics performance on Mac OS and graphics performance on Windows 10.

https://youtu.be/vmdIOlI81Fg

I used the same hardware - MBP 2017. I boot camped Windows 10. I used the latest version of Reaper. Everything is set correctly.

At the end of the video, there's a quick summary of what I mean. I didn't use any speed video editing tools. Everything is how it is.

Any thoughts?
JohnRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #2
serr

Something running in the background in OSX? Or... there's some new hardware faux pas with the newer Macbooks at play? (Sure a lot of other faux pas with newer Apple hardware and OSX builds!) I would have guessed the opposite OS's from just watching that performance. Something's wrong alright!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
Allspice

Happens on my system too.

Mac OS X 10.12.6
REAPER 5.70 x64

An easy-to-obtain plugin with a visualizer you can observe this with is Nicky Romero's Kickstart. If you open just one instance of the plugin's UI while playing back REAPER's meters slow down quite noticeably.

Same plugin is much smoother on PC.
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:19 AM   #4
JohnRosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Something running in the background in OSX? Or... there's some new hardware faux pas with the newer Macbooks at play? (Sure a lot of other faux pas with newer Apple hardware and OSX builds!) I would have guessed the opposite OS's from just watching that performance. Something's wrong alright!
I don’t think there’s problem with hardware. Because metering is perfect (if frequency update set for 30 or 60 hz in preferences), if you touch nothing and just play multitrack without any plugins on the screen. But once you strat doing some graphics-frame-drawing task like create new track, resize plugins, increase/decrease mixer, open plugins with heavy-graphics-drawing-framework or something like this, you’ll get low FPS performance. I believe this is a problem with Reaper and MacOS on software level, and can be fixed with code.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:47 AM   #5
Futur8me

we have been complaining about this horrible performance lag of Reaper in macOS for over a year now, there are a couple of threads about it in the macOS forum area, this proves that Reaper on macOS is not good at all.

Thank you for making this video

Old 01-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRosso View Post
I don’t think there’s problem with hardware. Because metering is perfect (if frequency update set for 30 or 60 hz in preferences), if you touch nothing and just play multitrack without any plugins on the screen. But once you strat doing some graphics-frame-drawing task like create new track, resize plugins, increase/decrease mixer, open plugins with heavy-graphics-drawing-framework or something like this, you’ll get low FPS performance. I believe this is a problem with Reaper and MacOS on software level, and can be fixed with code.
My gut reaction would be to blame newer builds of OSX.

I've been happily ignorant still working away in 10.6.8 most of the time. I also have a 10.10 install on the studio machine for demo'ing newer plugins. I haven't really shaken this one down for performance or anything. Everything since 10.6 has seemed sloppy to me. Extra little lags. Quirky behavior even just in a finder window. Then all the 'phone home' stuff they keep adding to hunt down and turn off. I've always kept the latest and greatest on a partition on my laptop just to stay in the loop. I don't feel like 10.13 is even worthy enough to test on the studio machine from the bug riddled mayhem I've seen so far.

Can you boot into 10.6.8 and do the same test?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
Allspice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
this proves that Reaper on macOS is not good at all.
That’s a little harsh lol, we’re just talking about fine-tuning graphical performance.

That’s a good idea about checking slightly older builds of OSX serr. It does seem like they add a lot of small “quality of life” stuff each update that affects a lot of programs. I don’t have an older one available but if anyone does it would be nice to see the same sort of test, at least so we can trace back to where this came up.
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
My gut reaction would be to blame newer builds of OSX.

I've been happily ignorant still working away in 10.6.8 most of the time. I also have a 10.10 install on the studio machine for demo'ing newer plugins. I haven't really shaken this one down for performance or anything. Everything since 10.6 has seemed sloppy to me. Extra little lags. Quirky behavior even just in a finder window. Then all the 'phone home' stuff they keep adding to hunt down and turn off. I've always kept the latest and greatest on a partition on my laptop just to stay in the loop. I don't feel like 10.13 is even worthy enough to test on the studio machine from the bug riddled mayhem I've seen so far.

Can you boot into 10.6.8 and do the same test?
But we must focus on the present/future and not on just the past.., macOS has changed a lot recently so Reaper needs its gui code updated to be able to run smoother on the newer macOS.., the new Logic pro 10.4 that just came out last week looks and runs smooth as butter and their new chroma verb plugin graphics is pure eye candy its wonderful.., i read that its uses apples new metal 2 api.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #9
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allspice View Post
That’s a little harsh lol, we’re just talking about fine-tuning graphical performance.

That’s a good idea about checking slightly older builds of OSX serr. It does seem like they add a lot of small “quality of life” stuff each update that affects a lot of programs. I don’t have an older one available but if anyone does it would be nice to see the same sort of test, at least so we can trace back to where this came up.

A fact is a fact, facts do not care about feelings.. "harsh".., graphically reaper has horrible gui lag on macOS.., i use both reaper and logic pro and it is night and day when going between them..,

Reaper is not smooth at all on macOS as that video proves.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:35 AM   #10
JohnRosso

Really simple test is to adjust mixer panel. Move it up and down.
https://youtu.be/vmdIOlI81Fg
0:04 - Windows on MacBook Pro
0:55 - MacOS on Macbook Pro

No plugins needed to demonstrate the Reaper's GUI performance on MacOS.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #11
Robert Randolph

I believe that this is partially recognized as an issue, see this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=201904

However, I do not think that will fix the lag of using Reaper drawn components.

It's not very slow on my iMac, but it is definitely faster in Windows. I'm not bothered by it. Plugins work fine for me.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #12
weedboy

I was considering a new MBP and was wondering if macOS still has this issue on new macs. Thanks for confirming. One thing I found is if you make Reaper window smaller, GUI gets really fast. So basically - more GPU (or CPU?) power, and lower screen resolutions should help.
weedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:52 AM   #13
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedboy View Post
I was considering a new MBP and was wondering if macOS still has this issue on new macs. Thanks for confirming. One thing I found is if you make Reaper window smaller, GUI gets really fast. So basically - more GPU (or CPU?) power, and lower screen resolutions should help.

Then why does FL Studio for macOS run silky smooth on macOS.

Reaper on macOS is the problem not macOS.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:42 AM   #14
Robert Johnson III

Other DAW’s are catching up with updates to counter this behaviour. REAPER has a great but small dev team, this (GUI) could not be a priority…. (it should be IMHO)Hoping to get an update regarding this issue. In the meantime: on 10.13.4 (17E199) low resolution mode could be a partial and temporary solution.

[REAPER HSierra Lowresolution - YouTube](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbaJuNeC17I)

[REAPER HSierra Lowresolution adjust mixer panel - YouTube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09tMWS4dQ5A

[REAPER HSierra Native RGB - YouTube](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-K775FiygY)

https://soundcloud.com/mytopia

Last edited by Robert Johnson III; 04-13-2018 at 03:26 AM.
Robert Johnson III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:11 AM   #15
JohnRosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedboy View Post
Better go with Dell XPS series or something like that. If I were you.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #16
JohnRosso

Reaper Icc18 beta version + non-retina resolution makes faster responce and overall graphic performance is better.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
Futur8me

Quote:
Reaper Icc18 beta version + non-retina resolution makes faster responce and overall graphic performance is better.

Yes ok but the big questions still remain of why does the beta of FL Studio run silky smooth on macOS retina resolution, and also why does Windows 10 on the exact same Mac retina resolution hardware run Reaper silky smooth.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #18
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
I don't perceive any difference in graphic performance concerning Icc18? Did you compare the two versions? If so what system?

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #19
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johnson III View Post
I don't perceive any difference in graphic performance concerning Icc18? Did you compare the two versions? If so what system?

Thanks!
The icc18 build will likely have better performance for plug-ins that use OpenGL, and for the video window when used on large (high pixel-count) displays. Not because of icc18 specifically, but because it is compiled/linked with a newer (10.7 or later) macOS SDK that enables OpenGL 3.2. We will migrate to these builds for the main releases at some point, though there will likely be a few plugins which break as a result.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #20
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
The icc18 build will likely have better performance for plug-ins that use OpenGL, and for the video window when used on large (high pixel-count) displays. Not because of icc18 specifically, but because it is compiled/linked with a newer (10.7 or later) macOS SDK that enables OpenGL 3.2. We will migrate to these builds for the main releases at some point, though there will likely be a few plugins which break as a result.
Thanks for clarifying this Justin.

Lately there has been a tremendous amount of unquestionably great bug fixes and workflow enhancement to REAPER, but it would really be awesome if the GUI of REAPER could run smoother on Mac Retina… Don’t know if this is possible without rewriting large amount of code or if this is a priority… Hope somewhere in the future?

Old 04-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #21
cfillion

REAPER's UI has been stuttering a lot recently after a few hours of use. Usually when I notice it, the whole main thread appears to freeze for a bit every few seconds. Audio is just fine when that happens. It completely goes away after restarting REAPER.

Not sure when this started or what is triggering this (or if I should have started my own thread)...

Last edited by cfillion; 04-18-2018 at 05:45 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #22
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
REAPER's UI has been stuttering a lot recently after a few hours of use. Usually when I notice it, the whole main thread appears to freeze for a bit every few seconds. Audio is just fine when that happens. It completely goes away after restarting REAPER.

Not sure when this started or what is triggering this (or if I should have started my own thread)...

I've had a similar issue... I was certain it had to be something else on my system. Didn't occur to me that it may be Reaper?

However I have a number of background scripts running, and use dozens of scripts probably 100s of times a day, so it's difficult to say if it's vanilla Reaper.

I'm not sure I could work with vanilla reaper for hours to find out.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #23
cfillion

I used quite a few plugins and scripts today in relatively big projects (one was over 400 tracks) so I can't say for sure it's just vanilla REAPER either.

I think I just found an important clue by taking a spindump of the process: https://pastebin.com/raw/wiG8AL66. Mac_GetProcessMemUse. And indeed, the timing of today's stutter is consistent with the refresh rate of the infobar and disabling "CPU/RAM use, time since last save" makes the UI smooth again! I'll check if it's always the case over the next few days...

Last edited by cfillion; 04-19-2018 at 11:28 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #24
Futur8me

Interesting because the playhead for me has always been very low FPS/stuttery and gets worse and worse with the more plugin windows I have open.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #25
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I used quite a few plugins and scripts today in relatively big projects (one was over 400 tracks) so I can't say for sure it's just vanilla REAPER either.

I think I just found an important clue by taking a spindump of the process: https://pastebin.com/raw/wiG8AL66. Mac_GetProcessMemUse. And indeed, the timing of today's stutter is consistent with the refresh rate of the infobar and disabling "CPU/RAM use, time since last save" makes the UI smooth again! I'll check if it's always the case over the next few days...
Ahh interesting, thanks! Perhaps there is heap fragmentation which is causing that call to be so slow. Hmmm, I'll have to do some testing.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #26
vanhaze

Quote:

WOW, this could be an Eye Opener 2.0.
Thx very much cfillion and succes with it Justin ! #fingerscrossed
Old 08-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #27
JohnRosso

Tried Ableton 10... and the graphic is blazingly fast. I mean how it should be on every DAW. But still, love Reaper with my full heart. But still, wait for the magic to happen and Reaper graphics would be like Ableton and so on. Maybe Reaper dev team should have a talk with Ableton dev team.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #28
Dreiko

Hey guys, hope all is well. Somebody fixed the problem?

Have the same on my Sierra/Hackintosh also on Mojave/Macbook pro 2019

Any ideas how to fix it? Thanks!
Dreiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:22 AM   #29
JohnRosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreiko View Post
Any ideas how to fix it? Thanks!
I literally switched to windows based mashine. I start usuing mbp less and less.
Performance on Windows is just... heaven compare to macos version.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #30
ovnis

On my win 10, slow graphic performance happens when lots of FX chain windows are docked.

Last edited by ovnis; 01-12-2019 at 11:18 AM.
ovnis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:49 PM   #31
Justin
Administrator

Quote:

This should be fixed in 5.982!
Old 11-30-2019, 11:46 PM   #32
Del Rei

Did anyone solve it?

When I use Reaper64 it's very slow.
But in Reaper32 it's normal....

Will it be fixed?
Del Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #33
KevinPaculanVA

Yeah, I recently got a Mac this December, 16" MacBook Pro with 1TB, 16GB RAM (Catalina). And I do notice a bit of lag when I use Reaper. It's a little distracting because I like to edit smoothly. Never noticed anything with Windows, so I'm wondering if this is going to get fixed in an update soon? I'm pretty sure what I'm experiencing is similar to what everyone else's experience here.
KevinPaculanVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:14 AM   #34
gapalil001

since i've updated to macOS Big Sur i notice that there is some additional glitches brings. also theme custom splash screen with alpha channel (transparent areas) displays solid black color with some glitches

also reaper going hell in TCP/MCP areas when i switch "Display updates" to non-automatic(metal) mode in advanced UI/system tweaks

obviously, it's Big Sur issues

Last edited by gapalil001; 06-24-2021 at 05:27 AM.
gapalil001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #35
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapalil001 View Post
since i've updated to macOS Big Sur i notice that there is some additional glitches brings. also theme custom splash screen with alpha channel (transparent areas) displays solid black color with some glitches

also reaper going hell in TCP/MCP areas when i switch "Display updates" to non-automatic(metal) mode in advanced UI/system tweaks

obviously, it's Big Sur issues
What theme is this? Is it a retina display or non-retina? Are you saying you've disabled Metal? Does it look correct with Metal enabled?
Old 06-30-2021, 06:09 AM   #36
gapalil001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
What theme is this? Is it a retina display or non-retina? Are you saying you've disabled Metal? Does it look correct with Metal enabled?
Thank you a lot for answer!
this is FullHD version of my own theme called Flat Madness that i use on my FullHD screen, no hidpi or 4x sized images here.

i always works with metal enabled, but at that day i've tried to run Reaper with another display updates modes because of weird looking custom splash screen. i've hoped that it may solve the problem but i saw a few more bugs. and there are the same bugs in every single theme, not my only(with any non-metal mode enabled only).

also one more user of my theme also reports about exactly the same issue on Big Sur. all works and looks excellent on Catalina and below. also all works good and looks correct with metal (exclude splashscreen). personally i guess that it's because of different structure of Big Sur compared to previous macOS versions

Last edited by gapalil001; 06-30-2021 at 06:55 AM.
gapalil001 is offline   Reply With Quote