Old 07-31-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
lunker
Human being with feelings

Default Audio Assault's Head Crusher ?

Can anybody here recommend for/against Audio Assault's Head Crusher?

They sent me an email that it is on sale for $5 : https://www.audio-assault.com/headcrusher.php

If they are cheap enough, I'm a sucker for buying things I might use but don't really need. $5 is a good price.

But I am also trying to keep from putting junk VSTs I will never use on my new PC -- so I'm conflicted, since I don't know much about Audio Assault and their products.

Any good experiences with Head Crusher you can tell me about? Or should I save my $5 for the next VST sale?
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Sound-Wise, I like it. The featureset is good, and the workflow fast.
I had other plugins doing similar things, but i bought HeadCrusher a couple years ago because it gave me good results quickly.
I use it mainly for driving things a bit, in a quite subtle way.
My only concern is the GUI, which is a bit too dark (few contrast), and therefore a bit hard to read. Also, it is not resizeable, so i wish an updated gui with more readability and resizing would come at some point.
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
Greg Savage

Looks like they have a demo, might be worth a try ya know. I don't know too much about them, I do like their transient designer though.
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
citizenkeith

I like Head Crusher a lot. My clients love it too. It's very versatile, from subtle to insane. I used the free version for a couple years but finally bought it a couple months back. It's essential for me.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:02 PM   #5
jelloman

You can download an unlimited free version here...

http://vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plu...r_Free&id=2112

I'm not sure how it compares to the current paid version, but it should at least give you a good indication of whether or not it fits your needs and workflow...
jelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:03 PM   #6
lunker

Thanks!

Yeah, I saw they have a demo. I just thought I’d ask before I wasted any time with it. Sounds like it won’t be a waste of time after all, so I’ll try it out tonight.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
Lokasenna

I love it. There a couple of presets (whose names I can't recall) that I throw on a kick and snare, pull the mix knob down to maybe 15% wet, and they instantly sound amazing.

Brandon from The Noise Floor made this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj04-MqZuJ8
Old 08-15-2019, 06:20 AM   #8
spk77

This works really well for adding "wetness" for kick and snare.
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:19 AM   #9
sightlessness

It's 49 for me ;(
Old 08-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #10
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightlessness View Post
It's 49 for me ;(
Yeah, the $5 deal was a special offer they sent me after I had purchased something else from them.

I ended up getting Head Crusher (based on the advice here), but I haven't really used it yet.

It looks like once you buy one item from them, they offer frequent $5 deal on their other products. I think I get a new $5 "48 hours only" offer every week. I haven't bought any more yet, because I don't know if I really will use them (I have so many VSTs already!). But maybe I will one day, if they offer the right product for $5.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #11
foxAsteria

Been using it a lot. It's a great tone shaper and can work on really anything.

Lately this has become the thing I try before any EQ or compression. Often it's all I need, so it's a real time saver and sounds great.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #12
Mr. Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Yeah, the $5 deal was a special offer they sent me after I had purchased something else from them.

I ended up getting Head Crusher (based on the advice here), but I haven't really used it yet.

It looks like once you buy one item from them, they offer frequent $5 deal on their other products. I think I get a new $5 "48 hours only" offer every week. I haven't bought any more yet, because I don't know if I really will use them (I have so many VSTs already!). But maybe I will one day, if they offer the right product for $5.
Just buy it. It's a steal at that price. Gives my Decapitator a serious run for it's money, and often I genuinely prefer it.

XCTR is a good one too.
Mr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #13
sightlessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post

Awesome thanks for the tip.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #14
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Green View Post
Just buy it. It's a steal at that price. Gives my Decapitator a serious run for it's money, and often I genuinely prefer it.

XCTR is a good one too.
I don't know Decapitator (I'm allergic to Sountdtoy's CP) but there were some accusations at GS a while back about Head Crusher being a ripoff/imitation of the other.

Whether true or no, it's fine with me. Head Crusher is an excellent and easy-to-use distortion/saturation plug. I got it for $5 too and it's become a favorite for drums and for giving virtual instruments a bit of grit at low settings. I really appreciate developers like Audio Assault who have friendly CP and affordable prices, and it's these sorts of developers I believe in supporting.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote