Old 08-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
Moth
Human being with feelings

Default Melodyne

I know that Melodyne and Reaper don't work together, however I would like to run my vocal tracks through Melodyne and my problem is that in the .wav files for the vocal tracks are in several "takes." (chopped up into different wav files) What I want to do is to glue them together into one big wav file and then run it through Melodyne outside of reaper and place it back in reaper but I can't figure out how to make it one big wav file. When I glue there is no file for the glue in my directory. Any thoughts?
Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
AudioWonderland

Consolidate files is what you are looking for.Its under the first menu option if memory serves.

But to that point, what is the story with Melodyne? If everyone is following the standards what is the issue? I rarely tune anything anymore but its a real pain to export things back into Cubase to do it. Is this a Reaper thing or do we need to invade the lovefest forums that Melodyne has to get some movement on this?
AudioWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
ngarjuna

I see all the time that "Melodyne doesn't work with REAPER" and it puzzles me; I've been using Melodyne Editor (DNA-enabled version) for a while now with no issues. Is it some particular function that isn't working?
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
beatbybit

i guess the only problem is the OP cant find the glued media?

if thats the case, i'd suggest to rightclick on the glued media and choose "item properties", then pressing "properties" at the bottom. that will show where the media is on the HDD.

if this isnt working somehow, then i'd render the vocal track (soloed, FXs bypassed, master/track/buss vol. faders at unity) then import to Melodyne.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
jpettit

Default Melodyne works good in Reaper

Melodyne (the latest Melodyne Editor) works great for me Reaper 4.0 and Windows 7 64 bit.

The secret to success is you must have a 1024 buffer set or you will not get looping and following tempo changes to work.
There are things that after asking Cakewalk and Celemony for 3 years to fix ( like looping) that are still not fixed there, but actually work great on Reaper.

Maybe you can be more specific with versions and issues?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Baer

Melodyne works well for me also.
Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
henge

Melodyne works perfectly here.
To the OP. In melodynes' file settings reset the recording path from the melodyne default to wherever you want to store the melodyne files. I usually make a melodyne sub folder in the audio file folder for the project.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Moth

Maybe I'm using Melodyne wrong? How are you guys doing it? Say if you wanted to correct a vocal track, how would you go about it?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
beatbybit

which version of Melodyne you use?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
Moth

3.1 .
Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
henge

Ok. I put melodyne (md)on the track I want to process. I then go to the Settings menu in md and change the file path to wherever I want to save the files.
It should be noted that md creates a copy of the file it's processing and then process the COPY. When you play back the md track it's not playing the file your seeing in reaper, it's playing back the processed copy. If you want to hear the file that's being displayed in reaper you have to bypass md.
After correcting in md I then record the corrected track back into reaper. I then apply any analogue processing (eq,compression)to the recorded md track.
Not as easy as autotune but to my ears melodyne sounds better.
Hope this helps!;-)
Old 08-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
beatbybit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
so the standalone version (Melodyne Studio), not the plugin, right?

i render an instrumental mix and glue the edited vocals. i set a new project media folder before doing that, just to keep media organized. (proj. settings / audio settings / path to set media..)
if the vocal tracks dont start at the very beginning of the song (usually they dont), i put a muted item to 1.1.00 on every track before glue. this way all the glued media will start at 1.1.00 (also the instrumental)

then comes Melodyne

this is how i do.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #13
Marah Mag

I use the Melodyne editor plugin in Reaper 4. I like the results, and the process could be a lot worse. Except that I get regular crashes, and have been for a while, under Reaper 3.7x through 4, Windows 7 32 bit.

I've posted about that most recently here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=melodyne

And also here, during the late pre-releases of 4:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=melodyne

Any of that ring a bell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post

After correcting in md I then record the corrected track back into reaper.
@henge When you said you "record" the corrected track back in to Reaper, did you mean to say 'render'? If not, can you say more about that part of your process?

Thanks.
Marah Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
mabian

Try setting Melodyne as "run as dedicated process" or "run as separated process" with "embed UI" set.

Melodyne is very memory hungry but with the settings above I can run Melodyne Essential very stable (in Win x86 at least).

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:27 AM   #15
Marah Mag

Interesting. I will try that and report back.

Thanks, Mario.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #16
grayter1

The problem I'm having with Melodyne (plugin) is that it stops recording almost immediately after starting Reaper (usually less than a bar). I've read about this problem elsewhere, and it may be a window focusing issue - I think.

If you start Reaper -and then- start recording in the plug in, everything seems to work. Its a PITA if your trying to tune something at bar 1 of the track.

Terry
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #17
beatbybit

Melodyne plugin users, how you deal with UNDO?
dont you accidentally press CTR+Z and loosing all your work inside the plugin?

do you like the relatively small window/display? *
and dont you miss the function of showing multiple tracks overlaid? *

* : compared to the standalone version
Old 08-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #18
camerondye

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbybit View Post
The Control Z thing is an effin bitch...I will admit that but the plugin works good for me too. It does occasionally stop after I start recording which is annoying but I try again and it works fine.

I actually still work most of my stuff in Studio where I can work on a bunch of vocals at the same time and transfer one track of instruments to line up everything to each other and to the music. I just wish Melodyne would get off their ass and update Studio to have DNA too.
cam
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #19
EricM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbybit View Post
Sadly, we have to "live with it" for now. I hope
keyboard commands will eventually work properly
in Melodyne, the only thing that is slowing down
the rare process of pitch correction I do with it.

e
Old 08-09-2011, 01:56 AM   #20
Marah Mag

Well Melodyne editor is just not making me happy.

I tried running it in a dedicated process as Mario suggested, and it would stop transferring at seemingly random times, as though I had manually clicked the transfer button. And was generally less stable, bringing down Reaper any number of times. Was worth a try, though.

Now, running it as usual, it's continued doing the random transfer interruptions it started doing when in a dedicated process but which it wasn't doing earlier.

When it works it works well. It's fun to use and try different workflows with it, despite the sharp edges of its UI(like the near total inability to remember it's own preferences.) But when it crashes just because it's in the mood, blecgh.

...just brought down Reaper again.

...will try other isolation methods...

...maybe try working with lighter stem projects... though this project isn't all that heavy.....
Old 08-09-2011, 02:02 AM   #21
mabian

Sorry if you have mentioned already, are you on V1.2.1 Melodyne?

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #22
Marah Mag

Earlier, when I tried to insert a MD instance on a track (which would have been the only instance in the project), it loaded in bypassed mode, and when I clicked on it in the MCP bin, it nothing happened at all.

That might have been the first time I tried after switching it back from the dedicated bridge mode... not sure.

I'll probably try making a slave project and just import a mix and the tracks to be tuned.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #23
Marah Mag

I'm on 1.2.1 32-bit.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:18 AM   #24
Marah Mag

gonna try turning off Reaper background saves. (like why not?)
Old 08-09-2011, 02:25 AM   #25
Marah Mag

I'm saving Melodyne presets, which save its currently referenced audio and any corrections (though not its Preferences.)

Doing this often would seem to offer some protection against crashes.

But saving the Reaper project doesn't seem to reliably save Melodyne's audio.

In fact, working in MD doesn't get read by Reaper as 'modifications' at all, which can be disconcerting.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:04 AM   #26
Marah Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marah Mag View Post

(like why not?)
Of course the reason why not soon becomes apparent....

#fml
Old 08-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #27
Marah Mag

Just crashed when I tried to export an rpl from Melodyne's + button.

Faulting application name: reaper.exe, version: 4.0.1.2, time stamp: 0x4e3e9939
Faulting module name: Melodyne.dll, version: 1.2.1.12, time stamp: 0x4da81c94
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00153312
Faulting process id: 0x1048
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc567b7a35c81a
Faulting application path: R:\REAPER\reaper.exe
Faulting module path: P:\VSTs\Melodyne\Melodyne.dll
Report Id: a8ead828-c26f-11e0-8fa1-001fd0d11ffb

But frequent saving of MD presets CAN help a transfer survice a crash, but not always. I imagine it would save corrections as well, but I haven't actually gotten that far....

Sorry that I'm colonizing this thread... which I know I didn't start...
Old 08-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #28
ngarjuna

Interesting. For me, Editor has always worked more or less trouble free: I don't use any kind of fire walling or special consideration, just instantiate and go. The random transfer drops I am definitely familiar with (they are super annoying); I've found as was mentioned up thread that if I start REAPER's transport before beginning transfer it doesn't do that, though, so that workaround has solved that issue for me.

What I did learn the hard way, though, is that Melodyne won't support REAPER right now. Which makes it pretty tough to get further support on their end. I did submit a ticket to their tech support asking them to add REAPER to their supported hosts (on the notion that it was working pretty well for me already with no support); maybe if they get enough of those they'd consider it. I have to think there are a fair (and growing) number of REAPER/Melodyne users.
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #29
BobM

I'm running Melodyne assistant 1.2.1 on a Macbook with Reaper 4, all's working perfectly.
In Prefs/Buffering, turn off Anticipative FX processing, there's been a lot of posts about this in the past.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #30
AudioWonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I'm running Melodyne assistant 1.2.1 on a Macbook with Reaper 4, all's working perfectly.
In Prefs/Buffering, turn off Anticipative FX processing, there's been a lot of posts about this in the past.
You just turn it off while processing or do you leave it off? I typically process and render so I am not trying to process in real time on playback for the remainder of the process
AudioWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #31
Marah Mag

I process and render.

The track to be tuned in Melodyne only has the MD plugin on it.

That track plays through a folder, where all the other processing (eq, comp, delay, etc) is located.

As I fix the track in MD, I render those items to new takes (mono). At that point I either move on to another set of items, or I remove MD.

Keeping alone MD on the vocal track, and having the vocal track play through a folder, lets me fix the track while listening to it in context, as otherwise processed, without any risk of applying unwanted effects or double-applying fx when rendering.

That said, at the moment, these pics describe my Melodyne experience.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #32
Marah Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post

What I did learn the hard way, though, is that Melodyne won't support REAPER right now. Which makes it pretty tough to get further support on their end. I did submit a ticket to their tech support asking them to add REAPER to their supported hosts (on the notion that it was working pretty well for me already with no support); maybe if they get enough of those they'd consider it. I have to think there are a fair (and growing) number of REAPER/Melodyne users.
I just submitted this post to the Celemony forum about their support for Reaper.

But it's awaiting moderation (i just registered.)

I wonder if it will ever see the light of day.

#killmenow
Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #33
Marah Mag

I'd like to get to the bottom of all this, but what I've done for now, and what's working as expected without incident, is this.

I rendered a mix, sans vocal.

I saved the vocal folder as a template, with media, sans Melodyne instance on vocal source track.

I created a new project, same tempo, and inserted the mix. Then I added the vocal folder template. Then I added MD.

Then I copied the markers from the parent project into this one (thanks SWS!)

And things are working as expected. And i'm finally getting some work done.

I started the new project with as clean a slate as possible (rather than saving the parent as a new name & deleting the other tracks), and so what I'll do is rebuild the project in this rpp folder by folder (either by copy & paste or by template & import), and maybe discover where the problem starts. If it does.

Melodyne has an interface only its inventor could love. But it's an impressively powerful and interesting toy.

Inexplicable to me why Celemony doesn't support Reaper. A fixation on the big boys? (Being paid to ignore Reaper by Roland & Yamaha & Avid?)

Last edited by Marah Mag; 08-09-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #34
Marah Mag

Dear Melodyne,

If you're going to force me to click to undo/redo, would you please add those to the tool context menu?

Thank you.

xoxo

mm
Old 08-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #35
Marah Mag

This is fun part!

Old 08-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #36
Marah Mag

just crashed when saving reaper.

same minimal project.

According to Event Viewer, first Melodyne crashed. Then seconds later, Kontakt crashed (was using an instance of K for reference keyboard... overkill, but still just a 4 or 5 track project.)

That narrows things down a bit. Funny how it went so long without a fail... earlier I was lucky to go 2 minutes (started reminding me of working w V-Vocal.) \

All other plugins in project, on vocal folder, are Rea.

Will elim Kontakt and use ReaSyn instead... assuming there is such a thing... there must be....
Old 08-10-2011, 04:35 AM   #37
Marah Mag

This has been working MUCH better than before... still some crashing... of the same kind... but way less....

What does it mean when, with Melodyne's play cursor moving across its window, the screen is drawn with an "offset," as in the pic below, in the middle, where the black & white notes get out of alignment.

The reason that misalignment stops after a measure or so is bec that's where I stopped playback. I've seen this before, but not that often.

When I then pressed the + button to save the preset, the menu came up all black. The Melodyne surface eventually went mostly and then all blank. Trying to force a redraw (eg dragging it off screen & back) didn't restore it, which usually works when MD doesn't fully draw.

The Reaper crashed.

That 'tb' task bar item shows up nearly every time I save the preset under the + button.

I'm suspecting it's a byproduct of Celemony's activation scheme, which uses the same icon. But then so does my M-Audio driver. Hmm... (So does Addictive Drums, but there's no AD instance in this stem rpp.)
Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #38
BobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
You just turn it off while processing or do you leave it off? I typically process and render so I am not trying to process in real time on playback for the remainder of the process
In the past I would turn it off, but it seems to work either way now.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 AM   #39
thepar

Default melodyne

I am also have issues with the 32 version of melodyne in 4.01. In the 32 bit version of reaper melodyne editor will not even load into reaper, I downgraded back to 3.76 and not it is not working in 3.76.

The weird thing is the 64 bit version (melodyne) is working fine in the 64 bit version of reaper.

running melodyne editor 1.2.1.

I am also having issues with sound toys devil loc, and east west play. 64 bit version of east west play works as well.

This is for melodyne:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: reaper.exe
Application Version: 4.0.1.0
Application Timestamp: 4e3afdfd
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17625
Fault Module Timestamp: 4de8781e
Exception Code: e06d7363
Exception Offset: 0000b9bc
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: ade4
Additional Information 2: ade4874a88087efb08fc3d66db873405
Additional Information 3: 291d
Additional Information 4: 291d541225d5fab1c337a68eb47382bc
Old 08-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #40
Marah Mag

Sucks if you can't get Melodyne to even load. Sorry to hear that.

The problems I was having went into remission when I went to a really light sub-project to work in Melodyne. It's an inconvenience to have to do it, but it's very easy to do in Reaper.

The Melodyne crashes seems connected with saving presets. I don't know exactly what happens when presets are saved, or specifically when Melodyne presets are saved. But saving MD presets takes a while when it's holding 3 or 4 minutes of audio.

The time it takes for the MD preset to be fully digested is not immediately apparent.

Of course it's not necessary to use presets for MD to stay in sync from session to session. But, Melodyne can be a busy little monster and I suspect it's possible at times to overwhelm it.

It's to Celemony's discredit that they don't support Reaper. Not that it makes a diff. It obviously can work well in Reaper, despite my current issues.