Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
joangolfing
Human being with feelings

Default Very new--loading Kontakt in reaper

I am a total beginner. My only purpose for using this program is to record my Roland FP-4 and make quality waves and MP3's using great sounding grand pianos. I have Akoustik pianos & Sonic Implant grands.

Can you direct me to parts of the manuals that I might understand on loading these into Reaper. I have Alicia Keys ordered and have Kontakt 4 free version.

How do I get started? I have Roland UM-1 midi installed along with Asio4all, & lame encoder.

Last edited by joangolfing; 12-02-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling
joangolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
zappsunzorn

Welcome to the forum!

You can find a quick start pdf under help/documentation/quick start

The first few sections of the normal manual should put you on the right path 1.11 and 1.12

Once you have installed the Roland following the their directions all you will need to do is activate that midi device (it should show up in Reaper). Go to options/preferences/midi devices (under audio on the left side of the preferences window). You should see your interface. Right click it and select enable.

For your VST folder (the one with all your instruments) go to options/preferences/vst

PS: make sure you do NOT put the vst plugins in the Reaper/plugins folder, that is only for reaper plugins not normal vst plugins.

Reaper can automatically set up a track for instruments, go to insert/virtual instrument on new track.

PS: in section 1.8 of the manual it shows the "ASIO configuration" button (if you are set to use asio) Sometimes you have to hit that button again with asio4all to make it work.

Last edited by zappsunzorn; 12-02-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: it's the preferences window not the options window...... doh
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
joangolfing

Thanks, I'll do some reading from those sections of the manual.
I'm not understanding enough about what you are describing. I need to build up a vocabulary first to be able to begin the process. I hope I can set everything back to original mode after I start making preference changes in the program.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
zappsunzorn

I think at least part of that was me (look at my previous post's reason for edit). Don't worry it is easy to return to the default settings in reaper (not that I would suggest changing things willy nilly).

Feel free to ask any more questions.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #5
joangolfing

Default Reaper Power Guide

Would it be helpful to have Reaper Power in hardcopy to learn the process. I find all the PDF's which can be printed out, more difficult to use than having a real book in my hands. The only problem seems to be the high price of the book on Amazon and no available used copies.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
dobro

I'm a relative noob to Reaper and to Kontakt. I got it working quickly and easily. Keep reading what Zapp said, and you'll get it. You have to make sure that Kontakt is listed as a VSTi in the Reaper VST list, and you have to figure out how to route stuff on the track you're recording. The thing that I had to stumble on on my own was that my keyboard had to be plugged in and ON for Reaper to notice it - you can't route stuff first and turn the keyboard on afterward.

Pdf's are a pain sometimes. Why not print it out?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
joangolfing

I think I understand the process in the manual. What I'm missing is whether I really have the vst's on my computer to install in the vst section. Whatever I have added doesn't seem to show up anywhere in reaper. How do I know I have VST's? And where would they be if I had them? And what are they called?
Old 12-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
dobro

On my hard drive, there's a folder called 'VST Plugins'. When I installed Kontakt, I installed it to that folder. Where did you put your version of Kontakt? If you're not sure, find or create a VST folder on your hard drive and put Kontakt in there. Re-install it if you have to.

Okay, now in Reaper, try this: Options>Preferences>Plugins>VST. There's a small window under the heading 'VST plug-in paths'. Around that window, there are three useful buttons: Auto-detect, Add, and Re-scan. Use those buttons to direct Reaper to your VST Plugin folder and update it.

Okay, now add a new track to Reaper. You can try my sequence if you like:

1 Click R for record.

2 Click the icon for 'record monitoring on'.

3 Click the 'in' button for 'record input'. Select the MIDI keyboard path for your keyboard.

4 Click the fx button. It'll display a menu of all the stuff you can add to the track fx. Kontakt 4 should be displayed there. Select it and load it.

If your MIDI keyboard is hooked up, you're ready to record MIDI data with Kontakt 4 as the sound generator. When you're finished, save what you've done, and every time you load that session, Kontakt 4 will be loaded as the fx on that track, and you'll be able to hear what you've done.

Finally, because I'm so used to working with audio rather than MIDI, I always render every MIDI track I make so that I have a wav file to work with - I like mixing wav files rather than learning how to work with MIDI. :-) If I could figure out how to make it work, *anybody* can learn how.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
joangolfing

Great advice. I'm printing your message out and following your steps. I just tried these steps and again nothing's happening.

I can get Kontakt to work quite well. But Reaper doesn't find the folders even after making a folder for VST plugins. Not sure I am finding the original Kontakt program. I can get my Akoustic Piano and my Sonic Implants both into Kontakt. I have the demo mode of Kontakt and a licenced version of Reaper.

Checking the fx button shows only the Reaper stuff loaded in the menu, nothing from Kontakt, AP, or Sonic.

Last edited by joangolfing; 12-04-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
zappsunzorn

My guess is that you already have a VST folder with the .DLL files on you computer that was created as a defult location when you installed the plugin software. When you installed Kontakt are you sure you installed the VST as well as the stand alone version?

Do a search for "VST" to see if you don't already have a folder with you DLL files for the plugins already. Also search for "Steinberg" because some installers default to a Steinberg\VST\ folder.

Perhaps you have your DLL files in more than one location, if that is the case you can just add both to your VST path in Reaper by hitting the "add" button in the VST plugin setting in Reaper. After that create a VST folder for all your future VST installs.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
joangolfing

Default getting sound from Reaper on laptop

I checked on the Kontakt VST install and found it didn't open and couldn't be installed so I guess I only have the Kontakt stand alone program.

I might give up trying to use it and concentrate only on what Reaper can do for me. So far I can record from my Roland FP4 digital making a midi file. But I can't get it to playback through my laptop's speakers.

And if I can't load NI's Alicia's Keys through Reaper I might see if I can get NI to refund my money. It hasn't been shipped yet.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
dobro

I might be wrong about this, but I think the standalone doesn't work the same as the VST. But since this is a Reaper forum, I don't have to worry too much about being mistaken about NI stuff. :-)
Old 12-05-2010, 01:22 AM   #13
zappsunzorn

Just for a test I would suggest downloading the 4Front Piano Module.

http://www.yohng.com/piano.html

It has no interface (just a picture of a piano) and just one dll file (an additional one for 64 bit operating systems) so you should be able to download it unzip it and move the folder into your VST folder. It has no interface so if it is not making a sound the issue is almost certainly with Reaper's settings and not the plugin.

I have the free version of Kontakt 4 and the dll files for the versions with a different number of outputs are:

Kontakt 4.dll
Kontakt 4 16out.dll
Kontakt 4 8out.dll

Search for these, and if you can't find them you can reinstal the software making sure during install that you get the VST version and that the dll files are in the desired location.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #14
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by joangolfing View Post
I checked on the Kontakt VST install and found it didn't open and couldn't be installed so I guess I only have the Kontakt stand alone program.

I might give up trying to use it and concentrate only on what Reaper can do for me. So far I can record from my Roland FP4 digital making a midi file. But I can't get it to playback through my laptop's speakers.

And if I can't load NI's Alicia's Keys through Reaper I might see if I can get NI to refund my money. It hasn't been shipped yet.
I don't what you mean by the "VST Install" - when you install Kontakt you get the standalone app installed and whatever format plugins you select. And you can select what folder the VSTi goes into.

As said above, you need to find where the Kontakt VSTi was installed then make sure that the folder path is in the Reaper Preferences, Plugins, VST.

Once you have got the Kontakt VSTi running in Reaper (as many people have) then you will be able to load Alicia's Keys
Old 12-05-2010, 06:13 AM   #15
joangolfing

Default Reinstalled Kontakt VST

I finally have it.(with all of your help) I reinstalled Kontakt and discovered there were 4 choices for installing. I had previously installed the stand alone one. I now have the VST plug in program. I can find the 3 Kontakt files in the VSTi folder within Reaper. I did download 4fPiano with its one dll file. That I can't figure out where to put it.

It seems Reaper can't find my folder (VST Plugins) that I created in my main libraries on Win 7's system. Does it need to be a folder within the Programs in C drive? That might help get the 4fPiano located.

So now on to working within Reaper. Should I start a new thread with questions about how to:
1.Play back midi files within laptop (not connected to digital keyboard)
2.Convert midi to wave
3.How this whole system works together with what I will have (Akoustic Piano, Alicia's Key Piano, Sonic Implants Grand pianos.) (Roland FP4, Roland Edirol UM-1 midi, Asio4all Win 7 on an HP Pavilion dv6-3122us)
Old 12-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #16
Zblogny

Quote:
It seems Reaper can't find my folder (VST Plugins) that I created in my main libraries on Win 7's system. Does it need to be a folder within the Programs in C drive? That might help get the 4fPiano located.
You have just to Add the path for every folder containing your VSTi in Reaper - Options - Preferences - VST :

Zblogny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #17
zappsunzorn

Quote:
I can find the 3 Kontakt files in the VSTi folder within Reaper.
Oh no do not put the VST dll file in your Reaper/Plugins folder it should be in a separate folder for VST plugins. (I noticed that Zblogny in the post above has done this, but he might know why not, and do it anyway, but it is still generally bad practice)

Quote:
I did download 4fPiano with its one dll file. That I can't figure out where to put it.
Just create a new folder (outside of the Reaper folder) and tell Reaper were to find it.

Quote:
1.Play back midi files within laptop (not connected to digital keyboard)
Assuming it is a midi file for piano just drag and drop the midi file into Reaper, and you will need to have a vsti in the track to make the piano sounds.

PS:Often piano midi files will have the left hand in one midi channel and the right hand in another, Reaper will ask you if you would like to have all the midi channels in one track in Reaper, or spread them out with each midi channel in its own track, it is much simpler (but less flexible) to have all the midi channels in one track.

Quote:
2.Convert midi to wave
With a VST making the piano sounds you like when you play back in Reaper, just go to File\Render and it will create an audio file in just a few seconds.

For your external keyboard sounds you would have to send the midi to that keyboard and have the audio from the keyboard go back into Reaper to record those sounds. In the Render window you might also have to set it to "online render" on the top right of the window so it plays back the midi in real time.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
Klemperer

Hi,

additionally to all these great posts and especially here what zappsunzorn has already told you about playing midi files, I made a little gif (with a tool the developer also created^^). I messed up the text at the end, he he, runs only 1,8 seconds so is of no use, forgot to put it to "20seconds" or something.

It is just about "pre-listening" midi files in case you first want to choose which one to load into your piano setting.

Text : 1. find the "media explorer" right below in the corner, it is "docked" there, click on it and it opens. Or use: ctrl alt x. It opens. A little "Explorer" inside Reaper...
2. All folders you might often use in Reaper you can setup here. Say you want C:\mypianomids or whatever folder. Find it here in the window, then rightclick the folder and you will see "add to shortcut lust". Next time you want to use it, it will already be in your left hand area of the media explorer .
3. the rest you can see here:

You can choose your midi file, and if autoplay is on like you see, you will hear the file. Depends, like zapp already said, on the file - in my case the Bach file came with piano left hand on one and right hand on another midichannel - so if I had only 1 piano setup I would have just heard the right hand playing.

If you already know what to load and don't want to pre-listen a dozen of files before, zappsunzorn's method is the better one. Load the file straight into Reaper and you're done.
But often I find myself loading files I recorded somewhere else into reaper, and the pre-listen-function is nice then, for example. I find this very convenient.
Klemperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #19
joangolfing

That's wonderful stuff. I need to make some practice midis and see what happens. I just found out that my Alicia's Keys will come with the Kontakt player and not the real Kontakt 4. I wonder how that will work since the player is only a demo with 15 min. of some capacity or other.

Last edited by joangolfing; 12-06-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #20
joangolfing

Default Progress

I'm making progress. I was able to get Alicia's Keys to work as a Standalone so I could listen to the sound of the Yamaha C3 Neo grand. It has a very sweet subtle sound and perfect for playing Bach and Handel.

I also got Reaper finally to find the Kontakt files!!!!
So I'm recording midis and playing them back. My next goal will be to incorporate the Kontakt sounds on some wave files when I learn more about that process.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #21
dobro

Quote:
I'm making progress. I was able to get Alicia's Keys to work as a Standalone so I could listen to the sound of the Yamaha C3 Neo grand. It has a very sweet subtle sound and perfect for playing Bach and Handel.

So I'm recording midis and playing them back. My next goal will be to incorporate the Kontakt sounds on some wave files when I learn more about that process.
Yeah, that was my next step as well. It's easy. In the meantime, enjoy the Kontakt stuff. It sounds very good.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:33 AM   #22
DarkStar

Quote:

To help out others with a similar problem, can you please explain how you solved it? What did you do?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #23
joangolfing

Default What worked for me

Getting the standalone working: Alicia's Keys in Kontakt
I followed this sequence for turning things on--
1. connect midi cable
2. turn on keyboard
3. start kontakt--options, click midi stuff
4. Load Alicia's Keys
5. Turn off Roland FP4 keyboard speakers
6. Connect laptop to external speaker system

Reaper:
loading the vst's, finding folders, etc.
The secret for me was adding them
Then closing Reaper and starting program up again.
They were in the correct place after this restart.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
Maya

I'm also a beginner, I don't have a MIDI keyboard yet but I use Reaper's virtual MIDI keyboard.

I have trouble loading Kontakt Factory library in Reaper. I go to Options - Preferences - Plugins - VST, point to the folder where I unpacked the library but when I click Re-scan nothing happens.

I don't have the VST state/UI window at all, just the 'Default VST to generic UI' and Knob mode.

My OS is Win7 64bit.

p.s. eventually I tried loading the program files-kontakt-vst plugins 64bit folder and it kind of worked, I get a Kontakt window inside Reaper, is that the way it's supposed to be?

Last edited by Maya; 11-12-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Maya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #25
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
I'm also a beginner, I don't have a MIDI keyboard yet but I use Reaper's virtual MIDI keyboard.

I have trouble loading Kontakt Factory library in Reaper. I go to Options - Preferences - Plugins - VST, point to the folder where I unpacked the library but when I click Re-scan nothing happens.

I don't have the VST state/UI window at all, just the 'Default VST to generic UI' and Knob mode.

My OS is Win7 64bit.

p.s. eventually I tried loading the program files-kontakt-vst plugins 64bit folder and it kind of worked, I get a Kontakt window inside Reaper, is that the way it's supposed to be?
Hi Maya and welcome to the forum.

First of all do you have the full registered version of Kontakt?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #26
Maya

I use free Kontakt 5 player & activated Factory Selection library.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #27
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
Hi Maya, yes that's the way it should work. Did you get it to work and were you able to load any of the instruments.

I don't know anything about the Player, but with full Kontakt you first locate the Kontakt instrument files (nki files) and then drag them in. Kontakt has a Browser button in the top menu that opens the browser.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #28
Maya

Hello. Well, I get a Kontakt window and I can open instruments inside Kontakt and play with Kontakt keyboard and record them so I guess it works. There are a few more confusing things but I am yet to read the manual, I was just impatient to try it.