Old 12-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
sinkmusic
Human being with feelings

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain
Default Dynamic split : lost item FX ?

Hello,
With Reaper6, it seems that splitting an item using Dynamic Split loses the itemFX.
Is this a bug, or a new behaviour ?
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
sinkmusic

> no more itemFX after splitting.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
akademie

Confirming.

Only first slice (if no removed by options - remove silent areas etc.) keeps the take FX. I would consider it as a bug :-(

Behavior tested on Windows 7 Pro (32-bit) and Reaper v6.01 (32-bit) and Reaper v5.984 (32-bit). It does the same in both versions.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

This is by design, because dynamic split can often result in hundreds or thousands of items, and preserving take FX in these cases can result in massive amounts of memory being used...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
akademie

Ohh, I see, Justin. Technically understandable then, sure.

Hmm, but problem is, that if the first slice is silence and the option to delete/remove these is enabled, then take fx is gone completely, with no way of reuse when needed, if you know what I mean.
Maybe at least warning asking for confirmation before finalizing dynamic split operation if it finds that the opeation would remove the slice with item FX (which actually is the first slice)?
Old 12-15-2019, 01:52 AM   #6
sinkmusic

Thank you for the clarification, Justin.
But like Akademie wrote above, I also lost some takeFX after splitting a couple files, and didn't noticed the takeFX were gone (i thought, as the slices are small, that the take didn't have enought space to display the TakeFX).
There is no warning message, no clear indication that something will disappear (the itemFX aren't even processed), which seems a bit odd...

Would it be possible :

- to have at least a warning message when splitting items with takeFX ("warning : splitting the item will delete all itemFX !")

- Or to have the choice (better solution imho) : "warning : splitting items with takeFX can result in massive memory use, do you really want to proceed?" (or "splitting items with takeFX can result in massive memory use, do you want to 1- split items and keep itemFX, or 2-split items and delete itemFX (without applying them to the take")... Maybe as an option (tick box) in the Dynamic Split window (so the behaviour can be saved as a preset)

-Or to have the option to render the take (apply itemFX) prior to split it ?

At least, imho, the user should be aware that something he has done (applying FX) will be lost without warning.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:25 AM   #7
pepe44

I think is reasonable to loose take FX for the reason Justin just said . If the same fx is to be used on that track why don´t you just insert one instance on the Track FX instead ?
Keeps resources lower. Or is it a specific fx that needs to be on all splits?
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
I think is reasonable to loose take FX for the reason Justin just said . If the same fx is to be used on that track why don´t you just insert one instance on the Track FX instead ?
Keeps resources lower. Or is it a specific fx that needs to be on all splits?
pepe44, but you are missing the main point - that it destructively breaks your work without any prior notification. If you have tailored your Item FX chain and suddenly it is gone, then how you make all the settings/tweeks again from the scratch???

As sinkmusic pointed above, there are lots of ways how to deal with it - from simple notification to intelligent logick behind the operation. And as always, we have options in Reaper, so let's user decide if he want to loose his work unintentionally or preserve it at the cost of increased CPU/memory load

BTW, I do not use item FX a lot and also do not split to thousands of slices (maybe tenths when splicing drumloops etc..). Others sure may do so.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
it destructively breaks your work without any prior notification.
This. +100000 !

In a world where some developers keep on releasing 32bit software for backward compatibility sake, I do find very awkward to delete (or destroy) what the user did without letting him know.
In 20 years of using software, I can not find one single piece of software crushing what the user did "for his own security (or "computer memory use").

In my case, I was editing 1000+ one-shot samples, and only 5 of them had a bad noisefloor requiring some custom denoising and eq shaping.
I think warning me prior or deleting my work without any notice would make feel grown up enough to take my own decision.
My computer can handle 5 slices or "per-itemFX" without even an eyeblink, so yes, please Reaper, let me do what i want to do

Quote:
dynamic split can often result in hundreds or thousands of items
Mmh, yes, sometimes, I guess so. To each his own workflow, however (and this is the very reason why i am favorable to user freedom of choice and information) : I think that anyone who once tried to dynamic split a take featuring a cymbal would agree that the workflow is better if you don't try to dynamic slit at once a long chunk of audio, because it's harder to tweak.
If, like me, you start by splitting your big take into several smaller takes, you can process the individual slices 10 by 10 (instead of 1000 at once), and it is easier to tweak... and doesn't put your CPU on its knees (in the case where you would have per item FX).

(Also, should I mention that this behaviour is non consistent when you "split" and when you "dynamic split" ? When you split and item, you keep the FX, when you dynamic split, you loose the FX without knowing it...)

Please, consider allowing the user to choose, give him the freedom to do what he needs to do, and please give him the required information so he knows that he will lose his work if he splits the item.
A tick box option in the preferences ("keep item FX when dynamic split" yes/no) would be the best, imho, or a tick box in the Dynamic Split window would be fine.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:24 AM   #10
sinkmusic

*Bump*
Would it be possible to have an option to keep itemFX while splitting if we want/need to ?
Old 03-31-2020, 12:17 PM   #11
akademie

Bumping too.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:52 PM   #12
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Would it be possible to have an option to keep itemFX while splitting if we want/need to ?
A single Item FX chain for multiple items ?
Seems very illogical.

I recon using a dedicated track for the item to become a bunch of items makes a lot more sense.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:22 AM   #13
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
A single Item FX chain for multiple items ?
Seems very illogical.

I recon using a dedicated track for the item to become a bunch of items makes a lot more sense.
Hi, Michael,

No, it really depends on what you do, your context of work : it can seem unlogical if you work on a "song", but i do also a lot of sample editing, and sometimes i just need to drop an eq on 10 seconds of a raw file, which i will need to split into dozens of parts later (And that pieces can be on a track with some track FX, but that's another story).

Also, the DAW changes what the user has done without warning (it removes the FX without any further notice (or, as Akademie wrote : "<i>it destructively breaks your work without any prior notification</i>."): this seems very illogical to me

I think that if you read the posts above (from Akademie, or myself), you should understand why in some situations it can be very handy.

Having an option in the Preferences to allow each user to chose the workflow it suits him best (removing takeFX without warning or keeping it) would imho please everyone
Old 04-01-2020, 04:59 AM   #14
akademie

Michael, it's exactly what sinkmusic wrote in the post above ^^^^^^^.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:07 AM   #15
mschnell

"illogical" is not a contradiction to "handy".

I in fact do understand what you are up to, but I don't see a straight forward way to accomplish it in a logical way.

Do you think it would make sense to create dedicated FX chain with the used effects for all of the new items ? IMHO this would bloat the project in a horrible way.

Another implementation would need a new concept of a "multi item FX chain" at a logical layer between the track and the item (similar to a group). This seems doable in principle, but would "boat" the structure of Reaper.

-Michael
Old 04-01-2020, 06:23 AM   #16
akademie

Michael, read all posts in this thread carefully, please, it was described few times what happens and that it is more a bug the way it is now.
Justin already responded from the technical point of view that there is high possibility of creating too much new items (even hundreds or thousands) that will lead to eating all CPU and memory eventually. That's why we proposed to ask user after performing operation that could lead to such case to ask him if he/she, user, really wants to do it even when warned (so he is then aware that his project can start to act slow and also can crash maybe).

That's not about logical, illogical or handy. That's simply wrong.

Even the disclaimer "WARNING: You will loose all your TakeFX in newly created items! Do you want to continue?" after choosing split action (before actually performing it, yet) would do the job, at least, by informing the user about that destruction.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:08 AM   #17
J Reverb

Would be a nice option agreed.

There are a few things that could be added to dynamic split such as high/low pass filter on transient detection and a gain control.
MK_Slicer is a great script for choppng stuff and has these features but still doesn't keep fx, maybe a request or a mod would make this happen.

In the meantime however there is a script to copy fx chain to selected items by me2beats
So you just dynamic split then hover the mouse over the first item with
the fx chain on it and run the script via a shortcut and voila !
This is also nice as any changes you make to an individual slice can be copied/updated on any selected slices after the fact.

Script: me2beats_Copy FX of item under mouse to selected items (active takes).lua

In Reapack me2beats
his repo.

https://github.com/me2beats/reapack/...ster/index.xml
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #18
mschnell

Quote:
Even the disclaimer "WARNING: You will loose all your TakeFX in newly created items! Do you want to continue?" after choosing split action (before actually performing it, yet) would do the job, at least, by informing the user about that destruction.
IMHO simply not allowing dynamic split on items with item FX chains seems more appropriate (and logical).

-Michael
Old 04-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #19
sinkmusic

Quote:
IMHO simply not allowing dynamic split on items with item FX chains seems more appropriate (and logical).
No, i politely disagree...
Old 04-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #20
akademie

Quote:

-Michael
I disagree too, Michael.

There is no need to not allowing dynamic split for such items. It just needs one message windows with warning, at least!
Old 04-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #21
akademie

Michael, don't get me wrong, please, but it seems that you don't have any use for use cases which we mentioned here in the thread. Why the discussion and opposing then?

We simply do not want Reaper to let us (users) to loose our FXchains when doing Dynamic split operation.

And as you can check for yourself, when item has Notes added, then after dynamic split they are preserved in all of new created items, while FX isn't and is removed/lost.
WARNING: If after dynamic splitting the first item accidentally contained silence and therefore was removed, then you have lost the FXchain totally!!! (not only for subsequent splitted items).

And that is something that shouldn't be allowed.

Last edited by akademie; 04-01-2020 at 06:57 PM. Reason: restylized
Old 04-01-2020, 10:15 PM   #22
mschnell

Quote:
We simply do not want Reaper to let us (users) to loose our FXchains when doing Dynamic split operation.
I perfectly do understand.

But it does not make much sense if there is no decent suggestion where they should go instead of being lost. IMHO, neither just the first item, nor all items is an appropriate option.

Hence "nowhere" (aka "not allowed: please remove Item FX Chain") after an appropriate warning, in fact seems sensible (if this is what you suggest).

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-01-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #23
Tower Studio

I just had the issue in a mastering session and I'm very lucky I noticed it and could recover my work from a backup. Please please please Justin change that. Either warn the user, or (better I think) add an option to keep the Take FX intact.
Tower Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:31 PM   #24
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
This is by design, because dynamic split can often result in hundreds or thousands of items, and preserving take FX in these cases can result in massive amounts of memory being used...
Justin, this makes perfect sense in a worst case scenario. But if it means a conscientious editor who has a five minute narration item with five segments, who wants to use the take fx currently on it (and not track fx because the separated item will be moved to other tracks and wants the item to have self contained fx) it's a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, as they used to say.

For me, if such an item can be manually split with that in mind, I'd expect it to work the same when dynamically split, except that it takes much less time. I'd assume if it were an hour item with 500 splits it would be unwise CPU-wise to do it, but I wouldn't expect that to be the reason I can't use it on a five minute item if that *wouldn't* strain the computer doing it. Actually, I think the scenario of someone doing it on an extremely long, single item with many splits and take fx would be so rare as to be not on the radar, as it seems not a reasonable thing to do anyway, whereas wanting to do it on a short item with a handful of splits and the fx would be something not so obscure, and worth being able to do.

Isn't there a function somewhere in Reaper (I can't remember where) that says something like "You are about to change 34,533 items. Are you sure you want to do that?" (I might be confusing that with something else ) I would support getting an alert in order to be able to dynamically split an item with item fx.

Just a thought.

Respectfully,

v
Old 12-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #25
sinkmusic

VduBreeze, I perfectly agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Isn't there a function somewhere in Reaper (I can't remember where) that says something like "You are about to change 34,533 items. Are you sure you want to do that?" (I might be confusing that with something else ) I would support getting an alert in order to be able to dynamically split an item with item fx.
Yes, Reaper does warn you this way if you grab many plugins at once in the plugin browser and drag them on the TCP.

A warning message like that would be great indeed (or a preference to set in the Options).

Old 12-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #26
karbomusic

I see no problem with a pop up warning but to be fair, it's a matter of CTRL+Z to immediately get it back to what it was even with the warning - there is no need to restore from backup or other dire situations. Yea, "I made other changes for an hour before noticing" but that would be rare because if you are dynamically splitting that item, that is where your attention already is.

So while I agree a warning would be worthwhile, I hesitate to treat it like a disaster.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #27
sinkmusic

In all respectfulness, I don't really agree with you, Karbo

1- If you [ctrl+Z], you go back. But that's not what you want : you actually want to split items
But you want to keep the items FX...

2- ... which leads to point #2 : if you had to drive on the left side on the road on your daily country road, and drive on the right side when taking the highway (without warning the drivers at the highway entry), you could always pretend that you have to "keep your attention" on the road.
But why make things complicated and behaving differently without a warning, when you could (at best) unify the way your whole system work (everywhere the same behavior) or (at worst) at least warn the users that in some situations things behave differently?
With a unified system (and aware users), you would still keep your attention focused on important things, but would also improve the workflow and have people feel more secure (and thus work more efficiently).

I hope that make sense
Old 12-03-2020, 03:34 PM   #28
karbomusic

Quote:
In all respectfulness, I don't really agree with you, Karbo

1- If you [ctrl+Z], you go back. But that's not what you want : you actually want to split items
But you want to keep the items FX...
A) That isn't what I was talking about - I was talking about it not being a disaster if you split and needed to revert (someone mentioned needing to restore from backup).
B) You could easily split something into thousands of items with FX and not even be able to load the project any longer - be aware of that.
C) You shouldn't be dynamically splitting after FX unless it is something small/short/minimal (put the FX on the track, find a smarter workflow), you guys can flame me to hell for that but it's going to get you into trouble somewhere, somehow evenutally... At minimum, be very careful.

Another thing that will get me flamed, there is no way every piece of software you ever use is going to be able to remove any and all responsibility from the end-user from doing things that shoots them in the foot. Therefore it is always smart to take things like this into consideration concerning workflows - otherwise, one ends up frustrated way more than they should be. I'm not saying that applies to anyone here, I am saying ignoring that advice leads to unnecessary frustration.

Those aren't rules any of us make, it's simple realties of the universe we happen to live in. That said, I still agree with the warning, you can say yes, do it anyway and let it do whatever it does and that's on you which is fine but don't forget B. Yes, I'm aware the current warning idea doesn't let you do it anyway, I'm saying if it did.

And to be clear, I'm not trying to disparage you guys, just saying that sometimes we want to mold our workflow for both creativity AND safety. Sorry for the preachy ramble.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-03-2020 at 03:45 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #29
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbo
B) You could easily split something into thousands of items and not even be able to load the project any longer - be aware of that.
Yes, but before such an extreme situation happen, I could also want to split a clip in dozens of samples, which my computer could perfectly handle.
Even hundreds of samples might be fine, too...

So thousands of samples is really a worst case scenario, and I think that I would rather have Reaper crash once if I try to do such a dumb thing as splitting thousands of slices (which never occurred after 15 years of using Reaper) if that means it would allow me to split a reasonable amount of samples, instead of Reaper forbidding me to split even two slices.

Quote:
be aware of that.
That's exactly the point : with a warning, i would be aware. And now that i've been warned, please Reaper let me know what i want because i know what i am doing

Quote:
Therefore it is always smart to take things like this into consideration concerning workflows - otherwise, one ends up frustrated way more than they should be.
I think I could use that very same argument, but the opposite way : I think from reading the thread that the frustration mostly came to users like me who needed to do one thing and Reaper didn't allowed them to (without warning them)
Old 12-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #30
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That said, I still agree with the warning, you can say yes, do it anyway and let it do whatever it does and that's on you which is fine but don't forget B. Yes, I'm aware the current warning idea doesn't let you do it anyway, I'm saying if it did.

And to be clear, I'm not trying to disparage you guys, just saying that sometimes we want to mold our workflow for both creativity AND safety. Sorry for the preachy ramble.
Ah, I just saw your edit after posting my reply
Old 12-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #31
karbomusic

Quote:
Yes, but before such an extreme situation happen, I could also want to split a clip in dozens of samples, which my computer could perfectly handle.
Even hundreds of samples might be fine, too...

So thousands of samples is really a worst case scenario, and I think that I would rather have Reaper crash once if I try to do such a dumb thing as splitting thousands of slices (which never occurred after 15 years of using Reaper) if that means it would allow me to split a reasonable amount of samples, instead of Reaper forbidding me to split even two slices.

That's exactly the point : with a warning, i would be aware. And now that i've been warned, please Reaper let me know what i want because i know what i am doing

I think I could use that very same argument, but the opposite way : I think from reading the thread that the frustration mostly came to users like me who needed to do one thing and Reaper didn't allowed them to (without warning them)
I don't think we are that far apart, I see no problem with "yes, no, cancel" whathaveyou - I just wanted to call out that someone could not realize, drop some heavy FX on an item, cause 1000 splits and be in real trouble. Justin was smart to think about that regardless if it's handled in the best possible way.

Take care!
Old 12-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #32
akademie

There is definitely inconsistency in that regard in Reaper, because:

If you select an item (any length), add TakeFX and then use "Item: Split items at timeline grid" action while your grid is set to e.g. 1/128 then Reaper has no problem to split that item to hundreds (respectively even thousands) of new items without loosing their TakeFX (and also without any warming).

Justin, can you reconsider to make some adjustment to dynamic split behavior, please?
(I would say that keeping TakeFX on splitted item with warning if number of items would be over some reasonable count limit to notify about problem probability would be fine).
Old 12-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #33
karbomusic

@SinkMusic

I love your avatar btw, assuming it's an old LP/45 adapter. Oh wait, that's not what it is is it? Oops! This is why I thought that:

Old 12-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #34
sinkmusic

Yes, I don't think that we are far apart (and even still if it was, it's good to have different views).

It's quite frustrating because :

1- it is a feature I would really use quite often, it suits my needs and workflow, and I think I'm grown enough (I'm using Reaper since the first public beta) to know when things can get a bit complicated and when it will run smooth.

2- I think that while Reaper is very solid and well-coded, having one thing behaving in one way somewhere and another behaving differently is confusing, counter-intuitive and counter-productive.
When we drag & drop too many plugins in the TCP, we get a warning, when we slice items and that Reaper removes FX in an invisible way, we don't get a warning : I can't figure out how it could be perceived as sensible !?

3- I REALLY do not think that this way of working fits Reaper paradigm : after all, Reaper has become all about extensions, actions, scripts and ALLOWING user to add features, scripts, toolbars, etc.
For much more advanced features, Reaper is about allowing people, and not forbidding them as if they were brainless children not knowing what they are doing. So the frustration comes from being an advanced user stuck (for the sole reason that "just imagine what would happen if a noob tried to do something silly"... yes, but I'm not a newbie so please let me do it, just like you allow other users to code their own JS, LUA scripts, extensions, actions, macros and toolbars).
Old 12-03-2020, 04:05 PM   #35
karbomusic

All good points.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:05 PM   #36
sinkmusic

Quote:
@SinkMusic
I love your avatar btw, assuming it's an old LP/45 adapter. Oh wait, that's not what it is is it? Oops! This is why I thought that:
Ah ah!
No, it's the logo from an old soviet synth which i like: the Polivoks
http://syntezatory.net.pl/polivoks.htm
https://stereoklang.se/the-polivoks-...ussian-legacy/
Old 12-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #37
karbomusic

Reminds me of Schwa's Olga:

https://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugins/olga/

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/schwa-olga
Old 12-03-2020, 04:09 PM   #38
sinkmusic

Quote:
I think Olga borrowed some inspiration there indeed (but we're gettint OT).
Old 07-14-2023, 11:21 AM   #39
awelex

Just ran into the same issue. Justin's reasoning makes sense, but blowing all FX away by default is not a good solution, either. What if there was an option added to Dynamic Split to preserve take FX? It could be unchecked by default.
awelex is offline   Reply With Quote