Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
satyatunes
Human being with feelings

Default How to change the key of an entire song?

Ok, I searched before making this post but unfortunately the search results didn't help. Anyway, I've been using Acid Pro since a long time, been playing around with Reaper lately and I'm liking it so far.

I hope someone could help me on how to change the key of an entire song. In Acid, you've a drop down where you could try different key signature. Is there something similar in Reaper?

Well, I know in Acid it works only for Acidized loops with embedded key info but in case you know the tempo and key of a loop then you can double click the sample and edit it's properties and then onwards it will act like an Acidized loop. Is there a simple way to achieve this in Reaper?
satyatunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
Mr. Data

You could select all items, then press F2 and when asked, click "All at once". Then in the dialog set "Pitch adjust (semitones):" to your needs.
For best results you have to try different algorithms under "Algorithm".

For this (just came to my mind) it would be easier first to try one or two items to find out the best one. Items with transients work better with other algorithms than the ones with mainly tonal content.

HTH

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
bigwoody

The way I can think of is to go ahead and render what you have to a new file, then open a new project with that file, right click the file (item) and choose Item Properties, then enter your change in the Pitch Adjust box. First make sure that in the Audio settings tab of your project settings that you have a quality algo for pitch shift (like elastique).
I don't know of a way to do it in the project with multiple tracks without also changing the play rate (unless you enter the same pitch change on every track). Someone else out there might know.

Last edited by bigwoody; 05-21-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Curses, too slow again.......
bigwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
PitchSlap

Melodyne DNA
Old 05-22-2010, 03:20 AM   #5
MadMadRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyatunes View Post
I hope someone could help me on how to change the key of an entire song. In Acid, you've a drop down where you could try different key signature. Is there something similar in Reaper?
Use a VST plugin like Samplebase Satellite Free?
MadMadRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #6
Sasu Honka

Just put ReaPitch on the Master channel fx and you can change the key of everything on the fly.
Sasu Honka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
peanutismint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasu Honka View Post
Just put ReaPitch on the Master channel fx and you can change the key of everything on the fly.
This is the first thing I thought of too, BUT, wouldn't that also pitch shift things like drums and make them sound weird??
peanutismint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
msore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasu Honka View Post
I have done that. Works great.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
peanutismint

I ReaPitch'd everything but the drums and it sounded *okay* but you could tell it was shifted, so it looks like I'm gonna have to go down the hard route and re-record!
peanutismint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #10
Higgs

Default Pitch adjust

I see this is an old thread, but in case anyone's still looking for a way to easily change pitch the best way I've found to select the media item(s) you want to change, double-click on the item (bringing up item properties) and use the pitch adjust to raise or lower the pitch in semitones. Assuming you aren't changing the pitch by more than a key or two it should still keep the integrity of the sound in tact.
Higgs is offline   Reply With Quote