Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 11-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #41
Klangfarben
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
I likely will at some point pivot from program changes. Really all I want is a slightly more flexible system than what we have now for custom notation:
Sorry, I don't mean to clutter the pre discussion here but I think articulation changes need to be tied at least in a basic way to program changes. When I export a standard midi file and send that to an orchestrator, who will import it into a notation program, those program changes clearly mark the articulation changes right in the score. Without that I'm not sure I could use them. I completely understand the limitations and the next steps people want to take and fully support them, but the articulation maps/program changes/note data needs to be export-able IMHO.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #42
Klangfarben

I'm seeing what looks like a bug when moving PC events in the Bank/Program Select lane. When I move an event it is actually changing the PC event to a different program change/name.

Steps to recreate:

1) Insert a general midi/user program change
2) Move the PC event
3) the PC event changes names, indicating it is now a different PC event

See Licecap below:

Old 11-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #43
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
I'm seeing what looks like a bug when moving PC events in the Bank/Program Select lane. When I move an event it is actually changing the PC event to a different program change/name.
Fixed for the next build, thanks. Because of the same bug, you can also edit bank/program markers by clicking and dragging them vertically 😃
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #44
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Fixed for the next build, thanks. Because of the same bug, you can also edit bank/program markers by clicking and dragging them vertically 😃
Ha! If it was the mousewheel that did that I would be all for it!
Old 11-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #45
tack

Quote:
1. the order of note events and the notation events they own, seems like it should be pretty solvable on the script side, given that the notation event should always be the very next event received after the note-on.
Ah, I wasn't aware of that guarantee, thanks schwa. That does indeed make things a lot easier. Although your response implies that putting the notation event after note-on is a deliberate choice? I'm curious about the use-cases that are better with that order.

Quote:
3. can you suggest how you think the API should look for this? (feel free to direct to another thread)
Sure, I started a new thread with some ideas:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2202007

It occurs to me that there may not currently be away to programmatically update reaper-notation.ini. That's not part of that thread, but it'd be needed for the overall idea of Reaticulate doing things through notation. Really all one would need is the ability to kick Reaper into re-reading the file.

Quote:
lack of hash map: keeping your list sorted and implementing a basic binary search function would be the usual way to get the performance improvement without adding complexity.
Fair point. O(log n) then. Definitely much better. Although with #3 it can be made O(1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
When I export a standard midi file and send that to an orchestrator, who will import it into a notation program, those program changes clearly mark the articulation changes right in the score.
I'm sure that's a solvable problem. Even if text events aren't exported (I thought they were?) Reaticulate should be able to have some sort of "duplicate item and replace notation events" action, maybe even with the ability to seamlessly export to MIDI if there's an API for that.

Last edited by tack; 11-12-2019 at 04:06 PM.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #46
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
Ah, I wasn't aware of that guarantee, thanks schwa.
Hmm, actually, this isn't guaranteed in the current code, but we'll make it so for the next development build.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #47
EvilDragon

I cannot move events in bank/program lane at all here. Using "Edit selected CC events if any, otherwise draw/edit" mouse modifier for MIDI CC event (and lane) left click/drag.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #48
dupont

I noticed a midi note echo when recording notes in a midi clip in loop mode with Battery 4.

Playback is fine.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #49
ovnis

Quote:
In the envelope lane we have the luxury of "Prevent mouse edits of single envelope points from moving past other envelope points" to quickly bam-bam create that perfect curve.

In CC, it's almost impossible to do without finicking around and getting a less than ideal result. This could be corrected with extending the above Preference to CC points as well.
Actualy, inside the midi editor, we can't handle very well the envelope when we want to create a vertical line.

Quote:
In the envelope lane we have the luxury of "Prevent mouse edits of single envelope points from moving past other envelope points" to quickly bam-bam create that perfect curve.
Inside the automation envelope, it remains one issue: we can move more than one point through an another point. And it is accompanied by a strange and not expected behaviour. One point or more should not be able to move through an another point.

Last edited by ovnis; 11-13-2019 at 03:10 PM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #50
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
Actualy, inside the midi editor, we can't handle very well the envelope when we want to create a vertical line.

Inside the automation envelope, it remains one issue: we can move more than one point through an another point. And it is accompanied by a strange and not expected behaviour. One point or more should not be able to move through an another point.

About the last I don’t find a strange behavior. Moving the two points over other points deletes them, else it doesn’t. I like a lot this behaviour and they should add an option for one point as well. When we move one point and is passing over another, leaving the mouse should remove the previous point.if we hold the mouse and drag back to the previous point but not over it it doesn’t delete.in my opinion is faster and we end up with only the points we want as we draw them. See how ableton works:

Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote