Old 12-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
tootoobee
Human being with feelings

Default Font/letter size

Hi there,

is there any way to increase the overall text size in Reaper including the FX?

I already choose all "large" options in the layout but the text (font size) remains (far too) small...

Anne

PS: 27'' Retina display
tootoobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:02 PM   #2
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootoobee View Post
Hi there,

is there any way to increase the overall text size in Reaper including the FX?

I already choose all "large" options in the layout but the text (font size) remains (far too) small...

Anne

PS: 27'' Retina display
Hi Anne. Are you familiar with the Theme Tweak Window? Go to the Action list and search 'tweak' in the filter box, and click on Theme Development: Show theme tweak/configuration window. Once there you see all the tweak options available. Go down the list and any one that's for font check to see if it is one you want to enlarge. Click on it and change the font size. Note that when you customize the interface this way the font will creep out of its intended location if it gets too much larger. After you've done a few and are satisfied go to the upper right Save Theme box in the tweak window and save with a new name. You can always revert back to default.

Hope it helps. One thing you should try is to check out the free themes in the Resources area. There may be something that works better for you and have larger fonts and also enlarged to match name areas on the objects, so the text will still be in the right place.

edit: Forgot about the Advanced UI/system tweaks. In the first window of Prefs/General at the bottom left, click on Advanced UI/system tweaks. This may or may not give you what you need but it's easy to go back. Check "Scale UI elements" and change the 1 to 1.5 or 1.75 and restart Reaper. You may need to rearrange your screen. To go back just change it back 1 (or hit the reset) and restart. You don't have to restart with the basic theme tweak window or with themes, but with this you do.

Last edited by vdubreeze; 12-07-2016 at 11:22 PM.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:45 AM   #3
onno

Location: currently Mozambique but that's subject to change. Co owner of a property in England
Default Changing Font Size

Hi all

I have searched and scoured but still cannot find the answer to how to change the font size of the track number. Not the track title, that's under Action list/theme/theme dev: show theme / get drop down menu for theme color &font settings (which must be where the answer lies) but then I get Volume & pan label font after scrolling; then track title font and then Walter font 1-16. I changed all of them one by one but none changed the size of the track number.

I'm so frustrated; can anyone help? Much appreciated
onno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:09 PM   #4
jopatius

Just a note to this old thread:
I was lost with this topic also, until I realized the simplest solution of all in a Mac: change the text size on the Mac as a whole:

Click the Apple icon in the top left corner.
Select System Preferences.
Select Displays.
Click Scaled.
Select a lower resolution. If you see icons with different sized previews of text, select the icon that says Larger Text and click OK.

(Reaper just happened to be the application tro trigger me into this, and that's OK - changing the text one notch larger everywhere was enough for me)
jopatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:01 AM   #5
karlingen

Another good tip if you have font issues:
Uncheck "Faster text rendering (reduces antialiasing)" found in Preferences > Appearance.

This made the fonts more readable
karlingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:29 AM   #6
Evertschut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
edit: Forgot about the Advanced UI/system tweaks. In the first window of Prefs/General at the bottom left, click on Advanced UI/system tweaks. This may or may not give you what you need but it's easy to go back. Check "Scale UI elements" and change the 1 to 1.5 or 1.75 and restart Reaper.
This is absolutely brilliant! I magnified to 1.3, enough for my old eyes, but it really helps!
Evertschut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 03:48 PM   #7
mself61

Default overall UI font size

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Hi Anne. Are you familiar with the Theme Tweak Window? Go to the Action list and search 'tweak' in the filter box, and click on Theme Development: Show theme tweak/configuration window. Once there you see all the tweak options available. Go down the list and any one that's for font check to see if it is one you want to enlarge. Click on it and change the font size. Note that when you customize the interface this way the font will creep out of its intended location if it gets too much larger. After you've done a few and are satisfied go to the upper right Save Theme box in the tweak window and save with a new name. You can always revert back to default.

Hope it helps. One thing you should try is to check out the free themes in the Resources area. There may be something that works better for you and have larger fonts and also enlarged to match name areas on the objects, so the text will still be in the right place.

edit: Forgot about the Advanced UI/system tweaks. In the first window of Prefs/General at the bottom left, click on Advanced UI/system tweaks. This may or may not give you what you need but it's easy to go back. Check "Scale UI elements" and change the 1 to 1.5 or 1.75 and restart Reaper. You may need to rearrange your screen. To go back just change it back 1 (or hit the reset) and restart. You don't have to restart with the basic theme tweak window or with themes, but with this you do.
Yes, 1.2 did it for me, thanks, 1.5 was way too huge.
"Prefs/General at the bottom left, click on Advanced UI/system tweaks. This may or may not give you what you need but it's easy to go back. Check "Scale UI elements" and change the 1 to 1.2"
mself61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 11:29 AM   #8
garck

Default FX Window font size

Sadly The advance UI tweaks still doesn't rescale the FX window fonts. Shame it wasn't fixed in 7.

Last edited by garck; 10-25-2023 at 07:43 AM.
garck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:52 AM   #9
C Ray

Search in Actions for 'theme development/tweaker' and in filter type 'Walter'
There you can double click on all the fonts and bump them up a bit.
I set mine to Helvetica Neue
'Walter font 3' I set to 15 and that helped the legibility a lot on my Mac
I can't remember what all the fonts are for but it's easily reversed.
C Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 07:44 AM   #10
garck

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Ray View Post
Search in Actions for 'theme development/tweaker' and in filter type 'Walter'
There you can double click on all the fonts and bump them up a bit.
I set mine to Helvetica Neue
'Walter font 3' I set to 15 and that helped the legibility a lot on my Mac
I can't remember what all the fonts are for but it's easily reversed.
I'd already tried that with all of the Walter fonts, and none of them affected the FX window font. Strange.
Old 10-27-2023, 10:34 AM   #11
C Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by garck View Post
I'd already tried that with all of the Walter fonts, and none of them affected the FX window font. Strange.
That’s strange
My FX window font is the exact same as the one used in the track names on the left (15pt Helvetica Neue) Walter 3

I didn’t change the Advanced UI setting
It had no benefit to legibility and the PNGs looked a little muddy when enlarged.

You can drag my settings onto Reaper and see if it works?
You might need to install Helvetica Neue first

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0...oddedDefault_6
C Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 09:47 PM   #12
garck

Perhaps I should have specified, I'm on PC. That might be my problem.
Old 11-10-2023, 07:18 PM   #13
smeagol

I have tried everything mentioned in this forum to increase the BPM, Plugin, and Track name font size - all to no avail.

I just got done messing with my rtconfig.txt file with no effect at all. Probably it is not even being utilised.

It is vry frustrating that basic legibility on high DPI monitors is effectively unusable without wasting hours time.

Who does this serve exactly?
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:37 PM   #14
profquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
I have tried everything mentioned in this forum to increase the BPM, Plugin, and Track name font size - all to no avail.

I just got done messing with my rtconfig.txt file with no effect at all. Probably it is not even being utilised.

It is vry frustrating that basic legibility on high DPI monitors is effectively unusable without wasting hours time.

Who does this serve exactly?
Hi me too, have you figured this out? I've tried editing the .ini file too.
I really just want the mixer channel text to be much larger, so I can click on effects and routing easier.
profquad is offline   Reply With Quote