Old 03-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
J Riley Hill
Human being with feelings

Default Force layout to display width knob

Hey everyone.

I'm working on a custom version of the default theme with some layouts changes etc. and there is one thing i haven't been able to figure out.....

In some themes like Lampshades Paulie theme (amazing theme!!!) the width knob is visible in both Stereo Balance AND Stereo Pan mode... this is the behavior i'd like for my layout. I've been digging in the Paulie rtconfig and looking in the Walter documentation and I can't figure out what parameter I would need to tweak to make this so in the "Default 5" theme.

Thanks!
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #2
Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Riley Hill View Post
Hey everyone.

I'm working on a custom version of the default theme with some layouts changes etc. and there is one thing i haven't been able to figure out.....

In some themes like Lampshades Paulie theme (amazing theme!!!) the width knob is visible in both Stereo Balance AND Stereo Pan mode... this is the behavior i'd like for my layout. I've been digging in the Paulie rtconfig and looking in the Walter documentation and I can't figure out what parameter I would need to tweak to make this so in the "Default 5" theme.

Thanks!
Just WALTER both the Pan and Width positions and fadermodes. Do not add trackpanmode conditionals.

Here, the width only appears in a dual pan or stereo pan setup.
set mcp.pan.label [94 736 36 15 0 1 0 1]
set mcp.width trackpanmode>4 [94 677 36 15 0 1 0 1] [0]

Here, the width appears unconditionally.
set mcp.pan [94 736 36 15 0 1 0 1]
set mcp.width [94 677 36 15 0 1 0 1]

Of course, you would WALTER the pan and width labels accordingly

Last edited by Never; 03-04-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #3
lucas_LCS

Quote:
In some themes like Lampshades Paulie theme (amazing theme!!!) the width knob is visible in both Stereo Balance AND Stereo Pan mode... this is the behavior i'd like for my layout.
you can also leave the Trackmode commands in the rtconfig and just change the Pan Mode Project Settings in Reaper.
This allows the theme to show what mode it's in at glance, but still be able to force whatever mode the user prefers.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:21 PM   #4
J Riley Hill

Thank you both for your suggestions!

I knew about the Project Settings thing and obviously this is probably a better solution. For me i use the width knob a lot, and pretty much always wanna see it so i'm just being picky about it.

@Never the trackpanmodes tip is exactly what i was looking for! I still haven't really wrapped my head around WALTER enough to make it fully do what I want, but that was a good start 🙏
Old 03-05-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
the width knob is visible in both Stereo Balance AND Stereo Pan mode... this is the behavior i'd like for my layout.
Er... why? Unless I'm mistaken, the only difference between those two modes is precisely that; stereo pan has a width knob, and stereo balance doesn't. So if the user chooses stereo balance, that means he doesn't want the width knob you're about to serve up...
Old 03-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #6
Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Er... why? Unless I'm mistaken, the only difference between those two modes is precisely that; stereo pan has a width knob, and stereo balance doesn't. So if the user chooses stereo balance, that means he doesn't want the width knob you're about to serve up...
Right....basically the dev on these themes WALTERED the width on all the time not bothering with the trackpanmode conditional, so that the width is there on every pan mode, even stereo balance, even though it is not supposed to be, and @J Riley Hill likes that, wants the Ver 5 Default theme to work the same way, effectively circumventing the pan mode dialog, so width is on every track, all the time, regardless of pan mode or project settings.

Last edited by Never; 03-07-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:57 AM   #7
J Riley Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
The reason was because the default mode is stereo balance / mono pan. I've been using the Paulie theme (which as Never says, always shows the width knob) so have 100's of projects from the last couple years that don't show the width knob when I open them now that I'm using a new theme. It's a minor annoyance which in reality isn't an issue..... I was just fixating.

I managed to get it working but I changed my mind about it LOL, as you say..... it's pointless.... from this day forward my default pan mode shall be stereo pan, and I will worry not about the past.

Learning how to do it made me learn more about WALTER and how themes work though so that's good. ��

Last edited by J Riley Hill; 03-08-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #8
lucas_LCS

Quote:
The reason was because the default mode is stereo balance / mono pan. I've been using the Paulie theme (which as Never says, always shows the width knob) so have 100's of projects from the last couple years that don't show the width knob when I open them now that I'm using a new theme. It's a minor annoyance which in reality isn't an issue..... I was just fixating.

I managed to get it working but I changed my mind about it LOL, as you say..... it's pointless.... from this day forward my default pan mode shall be stereo pan, and I will worry not about the past.

Learning how to do it made me learn more about WALTER and how themes work though so that's good. ��
Note the buttons at the bottom of the project preferences.
You have the choice to save for this project or make the settings the default for all projects.
This allows you to set it to show the width only on the old projects that need it and still keep the normal default stereo pan behavior for new projects.

Old 10-18-2021, 01:44 PM   #9
rncwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
Note the buttons at the bottom of the project preferences.
You have the choice to save for this project or make the settings the default for all projects.
This allows you to set it to show the width only on the old projects that need it and still keep the normal default stereo pan behavior for new projects.
Doing this does not work for me, I'm on V6.37
Trying to set it for Stereo Pan.

UPDATE: just installed Version 6.38 and everything works as expected now.

Robert

Last edited by rncwalker; 10-18-2021 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Working now
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #10
ArKaDaTa

The pan behavior is not the same on Stereo Pan and Stereo Balance.

One moves the Stereo left or right (basically a mono L+R sum if you push it all the way to 100% L or R), the other boosts the respective L/R channel.

This is probably better explained here by Kenny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13uY9H64v2Y

Last edited by ArKaDaTa; 10-20-2021 at 10:05 AM.
ArKaDaTa is offline   Reply With Quote