Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
-R-
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper doesn't always remember Bank/Program Definition file

Edit: Posted in Track bugs and feature requests:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2794

For those who use program changes in the midi editor

You are editing, and choose that the bottom lane display program changes. You double-click and you have a dialog box that let you load a reabank file, with the different articulations and corresponding program changes that you want to send to your virtual instrument.

If you edit the same item later, Reaper will obviously remember wich reabank file you are using with. One reabank file is enough per track, even per project since it can contains many banks of articulations.

But they are at least two cases when Reaper doesn't remember wich reabank file you are using with this instrument:
- if you make a copy of the item and want to edit that copy;
- if you glue an empty item to current item and edit it
( do that a lot, since I can't lenghten an item without duplicating the notes of the item)

So you have to load it again and choose one of its banks. Only 5 clicks, but with an all-midi project it adds up really quickly...

Thanks for reading

Last edited by -R-; 07-30-2010 at 05:52 AM. Reason: spelling problem
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Good call. We should have a preference for default ReaBank file.

I have noticed as well that Bank/Program Select window even doesn't remember the last selected bank when you want to add a new program change after you close the MIDI editor. This is a hideous bug and needs to be sorted out ASAP.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
-R-

I like it when people agree with me...

Since it's the first thing I post here, what is the "protocol"? Wait that enough people recognize the bug and post in feature request, or ... ??
Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
EvilDragon

Since this can be classified as a bug, just post it in the tracker as an Open bug, and don't forget to link to this topic, and from this topic to the tracker.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
-R-

Done. Thanks EvilDragon
Old 04-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R- View Post
- if you glue an empty item to current item and edit it
( do that a lot, since I can't lenghten an item without duplicating the notes of the item)
Just in case you don't know, if you disable looping for the MIDI item (by right clicking the item in the arrange), you can lengthen MIDI items from either the arrange view or the MIDI editor without duplicating notes. You can set the default behavior to unlooped in preferences as well.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
-R-

At this time, I didn't know it. Thanks for coming from "midi editor bugs" thread to here and read.
I think the overall bug described here is a very important one. First because if you fix it, nobody (oar at least less people) will be asking for "vst expression" from Cubase. Second, because it's vital for midi composers. And from what I know, this shouldn't be hard to fix (or to enhance)
Have a nice day
Old 04-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
Reaktor:[Dave]

This is really annoying. Reaper should remember these settings for each track and not for a specific item.
I've just finished re-programming my old GIGA imported VSL Library and stacking all patches into Kontakt Banks, which took me several months. It would be so great to have REAPER remembering which .reabank I've loaded and which Bank I've selected for a track. This way, I can save Track Presets and everything will be set up just right.

Cheers!

Last edited by Reaktor:[Dave]; 04-24-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Reaktor:[Dave] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:59 AM   #9
-R-

Exactly my thoughts. What's surprising is that I'm sure it would be easy for them to fix it or to improve it, and will open Reaper to a much larger audience ( seems to me they already did the hardest part of the job..). So much could be done in this field. Maybe this time they will have a look a it? It's possible, consudering they're making the "midid editor bud" thread

Cheers!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:54 AM   #10

Are you refering to this thread?
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=78865

I've just read through it and didn't find anything related to this topic. Which post mentions that bug?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #11
-R-

Yeah, that thread. They are actually gathering all midi editore bugs, and since you use reabank in midi editor, it possibly could make it. The only mention about that bug is me writing: " the bug in my sig ", so that's why you missed it. Schwa saw it, and came to this thread, so I have hope again...

Last edited by -R-; 04-25-2011 at 07:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Just in case you don't know, if you disable looping for the MIDI item (by right clicking the item in the arrange), you can lengthen MIDI items from either the arrange view or the MIDI editor without duplicating notes. You can set the default behavior to unlooped in preferences as well.
Then let's hope the focus does not tend to much on looping, as this should be a track specific preference, and not item-specific. I strongly dislike the idea to stretch an item over my entire composition, since items help to structure my work by visualizing where instruments do sth. and where not.

Last edited by Reaktor:[Dave]; 04-25-2011 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Quotation added
Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #13
-R-

Totally. And once you've played with reabanks, you realize than one is enough for an entire project ( maybe even an entire career?). You load it, and inside the reabank you choose the instrument which will let you choose between different articulations...
I agree that saving track templates with their reabanks mapped to them would be a good starting point. I've been contemplating this for a long time, now.
Please, Cockos!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #14

Found in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=79238

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.manderson View Post
v4.0alpha67 - April 26 2011
[...]
+ MIDI editor: preserve active .ReaBank file when copying MIDI items
[...]
Doesn't sound like REAPER is going to save .ReaBank files on track basis. Still seems to be item specific. Any plans adding that feature?