Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 11-21-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
BenjaminBurns
Human being with feelings

Default Single Use Plastic - Satirical Techno Pop Song - w/ accompanying Music Video

Hi,

I released this song earlier in the week, made entirely in Reaper.

It's a satirical techno-pop song from the perspective of a piece of non-recyclable plastic waste.

The music video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzpybXIKTQ&t=2s

And the bandcamp page is here: https://benjaminburnspopstar.bandcamp.com/releases

Hope you enjoy

Last edited by BenjaminBurns; 11-21-2019 at 02:27 PM.
BenjaminBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:22 AM   #2
toleolu

I'm pretty baked right now, so the music video was especially good, really enjoyed it.

Congrats on coming up with something really unique and different.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
BenjaminBurns

Thanks toleolu! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Old 11-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
Jeffsounds

Well done! Not my style at all but I didn't hear anything that needs fixing or tweaking. Good job!
Old 11-26-2019, 02:13 AM   #5
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminBurns View Post
Thanks toleolu! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Not baked, still liked it.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:16 PM   #6
RDBOIS
Banned

Love the creative process

Do not like the message. Just an expression of social engineering = pimping a meme

From an audio production perspective, well done

Personally speaking: very creepy and wrong in many ways.

Conclusion: Modern day creative electronic pop pimping a social engineering meme.

Most likely going to be successful

For all the wrong reasons...
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
JohnnyMusic

Default Interesting

Hello,
I really don't like it when people ask me what a song I wrote is about, preferring they interpret it their own way...but

I assume this is an environmental song, but it could be interpreted as mocking those who may be biting their pillows every night worrying about plastic in the ocean..

Whatever the story is, I like the way you told it!

Anyway, production wise, not in my wheelhouse genre wise but...
Overall sounds good. Good balance.
Subjectively,
-I would like to a hear a slightly more punchy sounding kick, whatever that means, just something a little more aggressive or present or in your face so it doesn't get lost during the busier parts.
-And the vocal, even though it is supposed to be up front, I assume, some nearly imperceptible ambient effect or something could help it blend and still be upfront.
But maybe those are genre specific blasphemies...So take it with a grain of sea salt...
Anyway, again, nice job telling the story.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:57 PM   #8
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMusic View Post
Hello,
I really don't like it when people ask me what a song I wrote is about, preferring they interpret it their own way...but
Interesting. Because I write my songs with many levels of obscurity and consciousness, that I expect people to ask themselves, and me, what the song is about. I may or may not answer squarely, but I like to know that my "job is done" = making people think about a particular subject matter.

My songs are left for open interpretation, but they are pushing consciousness into a certain direction; this is why I write and produce songs.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:08 PM   #9
JohnnyMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Interesting. Because I write my songs with many levels of obscurity and consciousness, that I expect people to ask themselves, and me, what the song is about. I may or may not answer squarely, but I like to know that my "job is done" = making people think about a particular subject matter.

My songs are left for open interpretation, but they are pushing consciousness into a certain direction; this is why I write and produce songs.
It is interesting. And I think its great you put that level of thought into your lyrics. People approach music and song writing in all different sorts of ways and for all sorts of reasons, both when making it and consuming/enjoying/reacting to it. For context, I should say I do more writing of music and instrumental arrangement, and mixing, than lyric writing , and partner with someone else writing the lyrics more often. Because, a majority of what draws me to music is not the actual lyrics but the emotion, feelings, and responses created from the melody,harmony and rhythm: the sounds. So for me lyrics are somewhat secondary and that is why when I do write them, I more just put them out there for interpretation, and to provide a melody, but I am not trying to accomplish anything more than just convey an emotion or tell a simple story. I realize that for others the lyrics are of far more importance with regard to their meaning. That is what I love about music and songs: If I get pleasure from listening to a piece of music or a song, no one can tell me that I shouldn't or don't. If I like it, I can't be wrong. If you don't like it, it just means it doesn't affect you the same way it affects me.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
BenjaminBurns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Well done! Not my style at all but I didn't hear anything that needs fixing or tweaking. Good job!
Thanks Jeff!
Old 11-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #11
BenjaminBurns

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Not baked, still liked it.
Haha! Glad it's enjoyable both ways
Old 11-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #12
BenjaminBurns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Love the creative process

Do not like the message. Just an expression of social engineering = pimping a meme

From an audio production perspective, well done

Personally speaking: very creepy and wrong in many ways.

Conclusion: Modern day creative electronic pop pimping a social engineering meme.

Most likely going to be successful

For all the wrong reasons...
Hello! Thank you for your compliments about the production.

I don't think I really follow why you don't like the message?

I'm not setting out to offend anyway, but to make a difficult and challenging issue easier to think about. Basically I thought it would be funny and interesting to write an environmental song as a piece of plastic, rather than an environmental song as a human saying plastic is bad..

That something Indestructible often has such a Momentary use struck me as absurd, we really use plastic for the wrong purposes and that does a lot of damage.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #13
BenjaminBurns

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMusic View Post
Hello,

I assume this is an environmental song, but it could be interpreted as mocking those who may be biting their pillows every night worrying about plastic in the ocean..

Whatever the story is, I like the way you told it!

Anyway, production wise, not in my wheelhouse genre wise but...
Overall sounds good. Good balance.
Subjectively,
-I would like to a hear a slightly more punchy sounding kick, whatever that means, just something a little more aggressive or present or in your face so it doesn't get lost during the busier parts.
-And the vocal, even though it is supposed to be up front, I assume, some nearly imperceptible ambient effect or something could help it blend and still be upfront.
But maybe those are genre specific blasphemies...So take it with a grain of sea salt...
Anyway, again, nice job telling the story.
Thank you!

It is an environmental song and certainly doesn't aim to mock people who are worried about plastic in the ocean! Quite the opposite, I'd hope that the humour could be a way of relieving some of that worry for people, as well as a way of outlining how stupid it is for us to be using so much plastic.

Thanks for the notes on the production, yeah the punchyness of the kick drum is a hard balance to strike. Mmm, that could be interesting to try blending the vocal a little more.