Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 11-04-2019, 01:46 AM   #1
dr_After
Human being with feelings

Default Stripped (VHS | New Retro Wave | Synthwave)

My new collab with Sara

Red Emprez feat. Sara Al-Shokliya - Stripped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVGukveMgyw
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
beingmf

Not exactly my style, but it sounds really good/tasty!

(If "tasty" isn't what you wanted to hear, just replace it by "stylistically coherent while still digestible by later generations" )
Old 11-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
nait

I like Retro/Synthwave quite a bit. Not really into Depeche Mode though, so I didn't connect with the song too much, but it is very nicely done though. I also had a quick listen to the original, and I'd definitely rather listen to your version, for what it's worth! (that is not meant to be an insult to a band that did very well for themselves, but as a compliment to your song)

The synth that kicks in at 2:08 sounds like the lead part in Enjoy the Silence, BTW.. thought I recognized it from somewhere when I first heard it.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 11-06-2019 at 08:02 AM.
nait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:01 AM   #4
dr_After

Thanks for your replies!

Yes, I am in a "synthwave era" of my career, I like this kind of warm synthetic tones
Old 11-07-2019, 01:54 AM   #5
Eliseat

Hi, Stripped from Depeche Mode is one of the most touching songs of my live. I was 13 years old and it was the beginning of a magical time with many synth pop people in a cool Depeche Mode clique. There were my first boyfriends and lots of teenage drama and love ... this song was such an erotic and powerful experience, can't tell you how often I lay on my bed hearing it and dreaming me away in exotic fantasies. I will never forget that feeling. (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Though the sound quality isn't that good (to much mp3 compression or something) your approach is very interesting. While the original song was full of power and cold sounding melodies, your version feels like escaping from a provincial town rather then a big city. Very soft and emotional. Some wrong text passages are there. But I like it.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:40 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_After View Post
Thanks for your replies!

Yes, I am in a "synthwave era" of my career, I like this kind of warm synthetic tones
Well it does tend to get a little boring, but it sounds great dr_After, nice tones, well performed, and I think there's some trickery going on in there too that is well done.

Thumbs up..
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:11 AM   #7
dr_After

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
While the original song was full of power and cold sounding melodies, your version feels like escaping from a provincial town rather then a big city. Very soft and emotional. Some wrong text passages are there. But I like it.
Ha! Yes, whenever I make cover song, I try to escape the initial solution proposed by original artist - it's more interesting that way. I am glad that you like it When it comes to sound quality - probably I would mix it now a bit brighter, but some kind of sound degradation is intended (it's VHS era anyway)