COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > NINJAM Discussion > NINJAM Developer Discussion

Old 08-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
mbdil
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone here capable of modifying Ninjam for specialty use?

I've been looking for a program like Ninjam for
about eight months, and I'm relieved that SOMEONE out
there agrees that this sort of thing is possible!

I run an online church, and we're looking to start
up live praise broadcasts using musicians at different
locations across the country. I think Ninjam could
serve our needs (if we can get everyone used to
playing a measure behind) or perhaps be modified to
work in a way that works a little better for our
needs. (a description of what we're after is at
http://www.infinitechurch.com/liveworship.html)

A couple of questions I'd like feedback on -

Is there a way to send out the final mixed jam live to listeners that aren't actually participating in the jam? (via
shoutcast, perhaps?)

What can be done to reduce the bandwidth load on
the participants?

Since the participants can't quite hear each
other live anyway, what would it take to modify Ninjam
to support a three-way process -

1 - a skeleton music stream is sent out to the musicians
(basic drum bed, music, etc)
2 - The musicians play their parts along with the
stream, and the parts are compressed with timecode and
sent back to the central server
3 - The server lines up the timecode of the
musicians, creates a synched mix, and broadcasts to
the listeners post-latency.

Is there anyone on this forum capable of modifying Ninjam to do this?

Thanks in advance for your time!
-Chris
mbdil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:25 PM   #2
benbakelaar

i doubt this could be done live, or even "without significant delay". step 1 is easy, and the first half of step 2 is already done for you, if you take a look at a sample ninjam log, it records the interval and BPM and measures...

"interval 2 120.00 8"

followed by some crazy long code identifying the individual audio clip, which i believe is in ogg format, and stored inside the dated ".ninjam" folder. i don't know how you would decide which clips to "back up by one interval", maybe if you had someone leading on the lead channel, like rhythm guitar, then you could just back every other clip up one interval. that could be accomplished with a text parser, but only AFTER the ninjam session was closed/completed.

that text parsing would be the beginning of step 3 really, and then you would have to use a custom programmed tool or the "cliplogcvt.exe" to concatenate/merge all the audio clips, and then push that to your shoutcast stream.

considering the ninjam LOG file is your baseline identifier to merge the live session, i don't see how you could work with it live. it would definitley take manipulation at the source code level. which i suppose is what you are asking

if someone modified ninjam source, for instance, so that the clips were named in order, for instance "cX-00X" where "c1" indicates channel X and 00X indicates the interval, that would make this a bit easier. then you would just need to have a merger program that was continually creating your audio file, and i guess the shoutcast server would have to broadcast a few seconds behind that (not familiar with shoutcasts options so dont know if thats possible).

interesting....
benbakelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
mbdil

So what I'm hearing is that it's difficult, but still possible in theory. Are there any readers on this forum capable and available to take it to that next level?
mbdil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
benbakelaar

it would probably be easier to have your musicians practice with ninjam and learn how to take advantage of the time delay. its only 1 measure.

for instance, keys know to wait until they hear the drumbeat, guitar knows to wait until they hear keys, etc... keep songs to 2 chord changes or 3 with practice.

of course you can't have the drummer doing fills, everyone has to stay basic, but it would probably work better than trying to find someone to re-program ninjam.
benbakelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:10 PM   #5
Brennan
hey man

Well, as for the shoutcasting, I have written an app (njcast) that listens to a ninjam and sends mixed-down mp3 data to a shoutcast server. It's not 100% ready for prime time but I will share a copy with you if you like. It will be GPL like the rest of Ninjam.

Brennan
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
Leumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan
Well, as for the shoutcasting, I have written an app (njcast) that listens to a ninjam and sends mixed-down mp3 data to a shoutcast server. It's not 100% ready for prime time but I will share a copy with you if you like. It will be GPL like the rest of Ninjam.

Brennan
hey brennan, I would quite like a copy of njcast if it still exists please

am currently doing a report about NINJAM, this would be a nice addition to it.

PM me if its possible

Cheers

Dave.
Leumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
HeuristicsInc

We'd like to try out njcast, too, if possible... Tapegerm might like to try it out for a live streaming event this summer. How is the program coming along?
thanks!
-bill

ps http://www.tapegerm.com
HeuristicsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:59 AM   #8
zapf2000

Default NJCast

Hi Brennan,
it would be great if you could send me a copy of your njcast , because we're doing internetradio with a icecast2 server, and we wanna do some live jam on it. so if it makes not much work for you, send it to zapf2000@fh-sw.de .

many thanks
zapf2000
www.ggrn.de
zapf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
Brennan
hey man

Oh man, I suck! I posted it long ago but never answered this thread. Anyway, looka here:

http://ns1.cockos.com/~brennan/ninjam/

To run it, you will need lame_enc.dll. I can't post it due to licensing restrictions but it should be pretty easy to find on the Internets. I haven't looked at this code in like forever but hopefully it still works.

Brennan
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:38 AM   #10
JAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdil
So what I'm hearing is that it's difficult, but still possible in theory. Are there any readers on this forum capable and available to take it to that next level?

I really wish i could but right now i'm working on encoding an automatic mute button for this one dude and setting up individual servers according to genres for another.

sorry!
JAH is offline   Reply With Quote