COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 05-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
FingerSoup
Human being with feelings

Default cvs/subversion

Is there a CVS/Subversion repository for Ninjam with all common libraries shared for Server/Client/Operating systems - ie: an all in one source package?

If so, does it have anonymous access to allow for people to download recent snapshots, and play around with the code?
FingerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
cryptomail

Default The code

The code is in plain sight:
http://www.ninjam.com/download.php
As far as I know, all the things you need to obtain, and build NINJAM both client and server can be found on this page.

In my opinion, there is no need for subversion or CVS.
Just download the source snapshots tarball / package.

If you want to make patches, then it makes sense to come on irc.cockos.com and join #ninjam so you can talk about what you are doing, and how you're doing it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerSoup
Is there a CVS/Subversion repository for Ninjam with all common libraries shared for Server/Client/Operating systems - ie: an all in one source package?

If so, does it have anonymous access to allow for people to download recent snapshots, and play around with the code?
cryptomail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
fivestringfretless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptomail
In my opinion, there is no need for subversion or CVS.
Actually it would be nice to have a version control system in place... For one, it would show that you're serious about supporting your contributors; for another, it would allow commentary on the reason a change was applied. It looks right now like you have several codebases for the client and also for the server... you could have -one- for each.

Examples of additions where a version control system could be very helpful (due to complexity and the need to support -teams- of contributors)...

- Adding jack audio connection kit support to linux-based ninjam clients (and maybe servers too?), which would open the door to the LADSPA effect plugins, ardour, spiral synth modular, many others
- developing one (or many!) gui wrappers for clients and servers, especially under linux/macos
- adding support for various external authentication methods (postgres, ldap, mysql, unix passwd/shadow, kerberos, others, combinations)

In short, my opinion is that while you don't -need- version control, it would be very helpful for reasons stated and implied above, and I especially highlight the need to support teams of contributors.

I already have a set of arch archives... maybe I'll make it available generally if I can without too much trouble. If the ninjam gatekeepers develop interest in hosting it, moving the archive is very simple.
fivestringfretless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
FingerSoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivestringfretless
Actually it would be nice to have a version control system in place... For one, it would show that you're serious about supporting your contributors; for another, it would allow commentary on the reason a change was applied. It looks right now like you have several codebases for the client and also for the server... you could have -one- for each.
This was my point - We have SEVERAL source tarballs for the program - someone said the code was pretty modular, but the releases are monolithic and forked. Two projects (Server and client) with 3 forks each, in a configuration where most stuff is common, but a few changes are made to different clients to allow for platform specific code/interface design, etc.... It seems like a bit of a misorganization.

Really, I wanted to look at the client code, to see if there is anything I am capable of doing (Simplifying the vote system, Linux GUI, etc). I wanted to see what framework was in there, and learn the architecture/interface - Find out what hooks are there for a client - and then evaluate how difficult a Linux GUI would be...

What I found was a pain in the arse to amalgamate by hand, as I don't know what features were implemented were implemented in one architecture and not the other... a CVS/SVN repository might have all 3 toogether with all the updated code for all 3 together in one handy place, A consitent versioning system so that people knew that NINJAM 0.8 for Windows will work with 0.8 server for Linux and 0.8 clients for Mac. It might, in short, make everyone's life easier, and bring round more developer support, as Justin and crew are working on REAPER more than Ninjam now, and GSoC updates are not being made public here...

CVS/SVN would also allow for more concurrent activity - someone can work on server side mixing while another person works on Linux GUI, while a third works on kick/ban vote code, while a fourth does code maintenance to clean up and unify the source tree for quality control purposes.
FingerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote