Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-14-2014, 01:39 AM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default Track Folder Dragging Lock Option

Let's prevent the possibility of altering routing in a critical situation by accidentally dragging a track or clicking the folder icon.

If you've tried using Reaper on a touchscreen or even a drawing tablet yet, you might have noticed that it's incredibly easy to accidentally drag tracks and items out of place by accidentally brushing against the screen.

Even if you haven't, surely you've done this while trying to edit a fader or knob with the mouse, as I do all the time. Now imagine destroying that routing structure live.

We can lock the items in place to avoid this, but not tracks. We need another lock option to prevent dragging tracks. You can have your whole project fully locked down but still drastically alter signal routing by bumping against the screen.

It should lock changing folder states as well (from the button on the TCP), but that could be a separate option in case we only want to use one or the other method of making folders. But I accidentally hit that icon as well.

Even if you don't use a touchscreen and don't intend to, you still might need to ensure that complex folder setups won't ever accidentally change.

In a live situation, screwing up your routing like that could be pretty disastrous and confusing. And you cant just hit undo because that often interrupts the sound device altogether.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 12-16-2019 at 11:41 AM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
foxAsteria

3 cheers for folder locking?
Old 09-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
Fergler

I can muster a single cheer, I can't attest to the same frustration as I haven't tried Reaper on touchscreen but I have tried other programs that were designed with touchscreen in mind and Reaper clearly doesn't appear to be one of them.

One suggestion would be to have a mode where tracks can only be moved from a handle, such as this (but done better.. ):

Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
foxAsteria

fair enough, but touch screens aside, the only thing i would ever really need to use the locking feature for at all is the one omitted thing. folders are a powerful routing tool and it's far to easy to screw it up.

when i want folders i use a context action. the dragging and the folder icon cycling i really only use to undo changing the folder structure by accidentally doing one of those things. they get in my way a lot actually and i'd hoped i wasnt' the only one.

point: folders are great and powerful like oz. but we need a door and not a curtain. way too easy for shit to get fucked up.

if it was optional, i'd turn track dragging off permanently. only gets in my way.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:54 AM   #5
ivan.lt

Make the FR! Let everything be lockable in the track department... including height and order
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
foxAsteria

will do!
Old 09-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
Repetition Compulsion

Link it here and I'll vote yes. I can't recall exactly what my frustrations have been, but I have had a few hair pulling moments when dragging child tracks around and trying to keep correct folder structure (to include accidental moves)
Repetition Compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
foxAsteria

K, voting link's up top now. Sorry for procrastination.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
foxAsteria

how do we get the bug report reopened, please? it is not a duplicate. the other FR is included in this one, but not the other way round.

alternatively, would anyone else care to remake it with better differentiated wording?
Old 10-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
ivan.lt

I would send a PM to Ollie since he is the one who closed the FR.
Please keep us updated, I'd dearly love to see this feature implemented.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #11
ivan.lt

As TimU said, "lock track lanes so nothing can be dragged onto them" is another aspect of track locking.
BTW the FR is open again.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 PM   #12
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.lt View Post
As TimU said, "lock track lanes so nothing can be dragged onto them" is another aspect of track locking.
BTW the FR is open again.
I don't follow, what exactly are we "dragging onto track lanes?" Please explain.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
ivan.lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
I don't follow, what exactly are we "dragging onto track lanes?" Please explain.
The little routing button (Sends/Receives/Outputs) can be dropped anywhere -- instant send.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #14
foxAsteria

Quote:
The little routing button (Sends/Receives/Outputs) can be dropped anywhere -- instant send.
Oh, that's what you were talking about. But what does that have to do with "lanes?" Anyways, I'll add it to the FR.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:54 AM   #15
ivan.lt

I dunno. I like the word "lane".
(A bump, actually)
Old 04-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #16
foxAsteria

Unlockable folder dragging blows hard.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #17
foxAsteria

pretty please? this is my #2 issue with reaper, after the midi/timebase issues.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #18
foxAsteria

Gotta keep pushing this. It's a damn dangerous feature when using Reaper live.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:52 AM   #19
foxAsteria

Lock it down! For the love of sanity!!
Old 10-15-2017, 03:52 AM   #20
rick

Default Another vote for grouping /track/folder/locks

I'm putting off complex routing compositions until this gets fixed.
Ambisonic routing is (necessarily) hierarchical and with parent/child relationships being so fluid (or mercurial really) there's a constant anxiety about throwing that out of kilter with a 2 centimeter wrong move.

As things stand, Reaper is the _only_ DAW that's being recommended for Ambisonics. I know that this is largely an issue in academia, but that's a lot of students we're introducing spatial mixes to, and Reaper is already a part of that. Solidifying the work interface would go a long way to pulling people off of PT and Logic.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #21
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
there's a constant anxiety about throwing that out of kilter with a 2 centimeter wrong move.
Exactly why this is such an important fix. Multi-touch functionality is crippled by this issue.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #22
Philbo King

I'm in favor of this FR. A temporary workaround might be a script that would convert folder tracks to receive tracks (automatically creating sends & receives equivalent to a folder & children), allowing the routing to be locked down once it was set up. There are a number of details that go with this, for example a reverse toggle option to revert to the original layout.
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #23
vdubreeze

I've always found it to be a problem that track location is related to routing in terms of parent/child folders. It makes me not move tracks around that I'd prefer to and sometimes not make tracks become child tracks. Sometimes I'm constantly needing to have different combinations of tracks visually adjacent but I don't won't to hide any. Maybe there's a way to do it that works and I'm totally open to suggestions, but without locking I periodically change a parent/child without meaning to if I do all the temporary track repositioning a session calls for. I've tried a few different ways of doing it that minimize the chance of changing something I don't want changed when moving tracks around and keep coming back to "I wish I could just lock them".
Old 10-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #24
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
A temporary workaround might be a script that would convert folder tracks to receive tracks (automatically creating sends & receives equivalent to a folder & children)
Well I've already got a custom action that does this, but it doesn't go far to solving this problem. The only problem that solves is the wet/dry imbalancing issue when you try to use a folder as a submix bus and your child tracks have aux sends, since adjusting parent volume does not affect child send levels.

But no script is going to prevent us from accidentally dragging tracks out of position or touching the folder icon, etc (AFAIK).
Old 10-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #25
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
I've always found it to be a problem that track location is related to routing in terms of parent/child folders.
I've tried to get around this by forcing parent folders into a locked state when I create them (custom action), so that they can't actually affect audio in any way. I stripped out all the TCP elements as well so they behave only as organizational folder tracks.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:09 AM   #26
rick

Default Track Folder Dragging Lock Option pt 2

So what might work for you then, would assign routing/parent/child relationships that would stay that way once locked, but you could move them around freely without their relationships changing. Then I assume, ideally, you'd have a toggle that put everything back on the screen the way you had it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
I've always found it to be a problem that track location is related to routing in terms of parent/child folders. It makes me not move tracks around that I'd prefer to and sometimes not make tracks become child tracks. Sometimes I'm constantly needing to have different combinations of tracks visually adjacent but I don't won't to hide any. Maybe there's a way to do it that works and I'm totally open to suggestions, but without locking I periodically change a parent/child without meaning to if I do all the temporary track repositioning a session calls for. I've tried a few different ways of doing it that minimize the chance of changing something I don't want changed when moving tracks around and keep coming back to "I wish I could just lock them".
Old 10-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #27
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
So what might work for you then, would assign routing/parent/child relationships that would stay that way once locked, but you could move them around freely without their relationships changing. Then I assume, ideally, you'd have a toggle that put everything back on the screen the way you had it?
Pretty much : ) I'm too lazy to create a toggle to revert the layout back to a certain one, I just move back what I moved away, or actually leave it until whatever I'm doing would benefit from some tracks being moved again. In DP and PT, to give examples of what I also use, moving tracks around is and easy and can't screw up anything. I haven't found a way to do it in Reaper, especially in a complicated mix, as offhand and confidently, and without triple checking that everything is still intact. Which is not to say I can't be doing some of the things mentioned to make it better, just haven't really known the best options until threads like this.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #28
foxAsteria

Still really needing this.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #29
_Stevie_

I'm not using a touch screen, but I'm also experiencing this issue when using the mouse and selecting tracks. Would really appreciate a way to lock the tracks.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:18 AM   #30
fod93awwyeah

Default Lock it down!

Seconding this, would be a very useful feature - I'm building a project with lots of OSC mappings and moving a track would throw everything off kilter!
fod93awwyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:40 PM   #31
rick

Default Still no joy?

I'm teaching ProTools again after many years. Still not a fan, but pleasantly surprised at a number of smart professionally thought out procedures. If it had folders, locking them and their routing would probably be one of them. But... they don't have folders and that's too bad for them We do, but they won't stand still in the onslaught of mousing around.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:14 PM   #32
foxAsteria

I still find it odd how few of us seem to want this critical feature. I guess it hasn't been bothering me as much lately because I avoid using the mouse as much as possible.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:59 AM   #33
rick

Default Track Folder Dragging Lock

If nothing else, there should be a way to retain (lock) the routing regardless of where something gets dragged onscreen. Routing is such a baseline critical operation that the idea of treating it as a simplistic surface graphic is a bit absurd.
Maybe Ver.6?
Old 11-19-2019, 01:23 AM   #34
foxAsteria

Track position locking is an absolute must for a number of reasons, but I also would prefer the addition of a new folder track type purely for organization that has no possibility to affect the audio.

The simplicity of using folders as busses was tempting at first, but when you start combining it with actual routing, problems arise.

But yea, real curious what surprises v6 might have in store. Maybe some things not even seen in the dev builds? Who knows.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #35
Joe90

+1

Track position locking would be very welcome, although I actually agree with fox's earlier comment... if positional routing could be completely disabled I'd actually do it too.

When I want to pack some tracks into a folder I always use a custom action to do so, and on the occasion that I wanted to put one more track into that folder I'd be happy to just put it in then route it manually, it would be worth it for the trade off of being able to easily throw tracks into that folder that aren't being routed through the parent, and for the peace of mind of knowing I'm not accidentally going to click or drag something that packs/unpacks half of my tracks in some unexpected way.

I also suspect that this unchangeable link between track position and routing is the reason why don't have actions for very simple functions like 'move track up/down one place in the tracklist' or 'move selected track directly below last selected track'.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #36
daeavelwyn

Quote:
Make the FR! Let everything be lockable in the track department... including height and order
I say yes, and yes, and yes again !!!!
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:14 AM   #37
Loulou92

Would be super useful... Too often I drag track and they end up inside another folder... A way to lock folder, making the creation of new child tracks impossible, is a must have .
Loulou92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #38
rncwalker

Tracks on both the "TCP" and "MCP" should be lockable.
But I also think it would be great if we could also lock down the window placement.

Lay out your Reaper windows where you want them, and they stay there until you unlock and move it to another location and lock it.

I use 3 monitors with windows in them all and need to have them stay there.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #39
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncwalker View Post
But I also think it would be great if we could also lock down the window placement.
You can store the positions as a Windows Screenset for instant recall through the Screensets/Layouts window or keyboard shortcut, in case you didn't know.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:46 PM   #40
rncwalker

Can I get the Screenset to automatically run when reaper is started?

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote