Old 09-14-2014, 01:39 AM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default Track Folder Dragging Lock Option

Let's prevent the possibility of altering routing in a critical situation by accidentally dragging a track or clicking the folder icon.

If you've tried using Reaper on a touchscreen or even a drawing tablet yet, you might have noticed that it's incredibly easy to accidentally drag tracks and items out of place by accidentally brushing against the screen.

Even if you haven't, surely you've done this while trying to edit a fader or knob with the mouse, as I do all the time. Now imagine destroying that routing structure live.

We can lock the items in place to avoid this, but not tracks. We need another lock option to prevent dragging tracks. You can have your whole project fully locked down but still drastically alter signal routing by bumping against the screen.

It should lock changing folder states as well (from the button on the TCP), but that could be a separate option in case we only want to use one or the other method of making folders. But I accidentally hit that icon as well.

Even if you don't use a touchscreen and don't intend to, you still might need to ensure that complex folder setups won't ever accidentally change.

In a live situation, screwing up your routing like that could be pretty disastrous and confusing. And you cant just hit undo because that often interrupts the sound device altogether.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 12-16-2019 at 11:41 AM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
foxAsteria

3 cheers for folder locking?
Old 09-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
Fergler

I can muster a single cheer, I can't attest to the same frustration as I haven't tried Reaper on touchscreen but I have tried other programs that were designed with touchscreen in mind and Reaper clearly doesn't appear to be one of them.

One suggestion would be to have a mode where tracks can only be moved from a handle, such as this (but done better.. ):

Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
foxAsteria

fair enough, but touch screens aside, the only thing i would ever really need to use the locking feature for at all is the one omitted thing. folders are a powerful routing tool and it's far to easy to screw it up.

when i want folders i use a context action. the dragging and the folder icon cycling i really only use to undo changing the folder structure by accidentally doing one of those things. they get in my way a lot actually and i'd hoped i wasnt' the only one.

point: folders are great and powerful like oz. but we need a door and not a curtain. way too easy for shit to get fucked up.

if it was optional, i'd turn track dragging off permanently. only gets in my way.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:54 AM   #5
ivan.lt

Make the FR! Let everything be lockable in the track department... including height and order
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
foxAsteria

will do!
Old 12-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
daeavelwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.lt View Post
Make the FR! Let everything be lockable in the track department... including height and order
I say yes, and yes, and yes again !!!!
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote