Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 12-12-2019, 01:43 AM   #1
synkrotron
Human being with feelings

Default Simple Six now on Stash [a blog of my theme creation exploits]

Hi Peeps

I'm going to try again to create a post here to track my theme development progress.

Last time I tried this someone posted their own theme which I thought was a bit naff to be honest, as nice as it may have been. So, please, create a post of your own for your themes and tweaks.

So, this is a blog, I guess. I suppose I could have created a proper block somewhere but why not here, where people who care about this kind of stuff may drop in for a chat about it. And I prefer forums anyway.

Simple Six?

Because what I am doing is going to be based on REAPER V6 and it is going to be very simple indeed, both graphically and layout wise. I use REAPER in a very simple way so I am going to leave out elements that I never use.

And where I am able, and until I get bored, I will be creating some new graphics. Simple graphics. Flat as a pancake... No gradients. Going to look awful, I know, but I am no graphics expert and I have only a basic knowledge of Gimp, my chosen graphics editor.

While I am here I would like to say that I now have massive respect to all who create a REAPER theme from the ground up. I spent much of yesterday designing and implementing a couple of very simple buttons. It must take weeks, if not months to come up with a new, fresh and pleasing design.

cheers

andy

Latest:

I have now uploaded this to Stash so, if you are just starting out and fancy digging into something less complex than the default themes then this could be for you.

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2427/S...ReaperThemezip

Last edited by synkrotron; 06-06-2021 at 01:18 PM.
synkrotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:57 AM   #2
synkrotron

Default A start, of sorts...

I'm going to post a few images of where I am up to at the moment.

I haven't got far.

I have started with the track view and it took a while just to get the Track ID side of things sorted, with much needed help from White Tie.

The following image shows four tracks. The last track, 200, is shown because I had to make sure that the Track ID size, with my chosen font size, didn't truncate the text. So providing I don't go above 999 tracks I will be okay.

Also, it shows the Track Label and some of the folder related buttons. I felt that it was important to get the folder stuff working before moving on to the rest of the Track panel.

So, here it is:-

Yes, very simple, very basic. Try not to laugh too hard!

Track 1 is a folder so you can see two buttons. The lower button, shaped like a folder, is what makes the track a folder and cycles through its three options depending on the tracks current folder state.

The square shaped button just above that is for cycling through the three different folder compact modes, normal, small and tiny. I am still debating whether I stack the vertically with the folder button or place it to the right of the folder button.

I have yet to develop any WALTER required to hide elements based on track height. That comes next.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:17 AM   #3
synkrotron

Default Folder/Track Compact button

I will now focus on the button for compacting tracks in a folder.

As you can see in the image in the previous post, when a track within a folder is not compacted the button is a black square. This is supposed to represent the fact that the current compact status is not compacted at all.

The next option in the compact cycle is "small," so this is how the button looks during mouse over:-

You now see a slightly smaller grey rectangle with a dotted line above and below. It is supposed to indicate that that the next time the button is pressed you will switch to the next option in the cycle, "small."

When you click and hold the button (mouse down) the image changes to the same graphic but green:-

And if you let go you now get that same graphic but now in black, indicating that you are now in the "small" compact setting:-

The next compact is "tiny." The mouse over graphic now changes to an even smaller grey rectangle with the dotted line above and below:-

And the mouse down graphic:-

And when you let go of the mouse:-

The next option in the cycle is to go back to "not compacted" and the mouse over graphic goes back to the square, in grey:-

And the mouse down graphic:-

Which when you let go of the mouse returns to the original black square.

So, there you have it... All the things you have to think about for just one button. Amazing, and I wish I could say that about the graphics, but it would be fair to say that they are "functional" at best.

I may consider changing the grey mouse over graphic to white. I am not deliberately setting out to create an "accessible" theme but with all the recent criticisms regarding contrast are making me wonder if I should do something about that. Trouble is, I know nothing about visual impairments so it would not be possible to account for that until I do.

cheers

andy

Last edited by synkrotron; 12-14-2019 at 10:59 AM.
synkrotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:11 AM   #4
synkrotron

I think I prefer this layout for the folder and compact buttons:-

The code so far:-

Code:
set tcp.foldercomp	[54 47 19 19 0 1 0 1]
set tcp.folder		[35 47 19 19 0 1 0 1]	
set tcp.size		[260 70]
set tcp_idx_w		30 ; -- Sets the width of the Track ID area
set tcp.trackidx	[0 0 tcp_idx_w tcp.size{1} 0 0 0 1]
set tcp.trackidx.color	[255 255 255]
set tcp.trackidx.font	[6]
set tcp.trackidx.margin	[0 470 0 470 0.5]
set tcp.label		[35 3 150 18 0 0 0 0]
set tcp.label.margin	[3 0 0 0]
set tcp.label.color	?recarm [255 0 0] [255 255 255]
set tcp.label.font	[4]
Next step is to get those folder and compact buttons hiding when the track height is too small to display them...
Old 12-12-2019, 03:15 AM   #5
Vagalume

I am going to place them just before the track name, so I am going to try to move it right a little. We hace similar ideas
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:29 AM   #6
Vagalume

I think I have to delete more original code it interferes which what I am trying to do.

Which part of the previous code have you deleted to build your tcp tracks from scratch?
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:36 AM   #7
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
I am going to place them just before the track name, so I am going to try to move it right a little. We hace similar ideas
Haha! I was thinking the same thing just now, having altered the code to hide them when the track height was too small.

The code would be easier if those buttons were placed to the right of the track name but I agree that to the left of the track name would be better. So the location of the label would then need to be moved depending on the visibility of the folder and compact buttons... That would be interesting