Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
src1022
Human being with feelings

Default Making instrument volume the same in multiple projects

Hello all,

I am working on 6 different reaper projects (6 different songs). The vocals and sometimes the guitars will have different peak levels in the different projects. Lets say project a's vocals peaks at -3 db when the fader for the track is at 0 but on project b's vocal track, it peaks at -5.5 with the fader at 0... how can I get these to be the same in both tracks? Not just the peaks but the overall volume.

I'm in the process of finishing a demo for a band (this is my first time doing this) and I have the drums all at a consistent volume, one of the guitars at a consistent volume and the bass at a consistent volume. The second guitar player's volume seems to change from track to track and the vocal volume does the same... I'm just looking for a simple way to fix this so everything is consistent.... any tips or ideas for me to try?

Thanks!
src1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
Mr. Data

You could use Reacomp, Set the threshold a bit below the -5.5, increase the "Ratio" a bit and (maybe) tick "Auto make-up". Then correct the level of the track.

On the other hand: It might not be that important that these values are the same in each piece. It's far more important, that the songs generally fit each other overall when listening to them and jumping from one to another.

-Data
Old 06-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #3
src1022

Thanks,I'll definitely mess with some compression on the vocals.

Know of any plug ins or tools to see an actual number for the level of the audio the entire time instead of just the highest peak? I think something like this would also help achieve a consistent volume project to project.
src1022 is offline   Reply With Quote