Old 05-07-2021, 04:47 AM   #1
CDS
Human being with feelings

Default Solved - previously installed Reaper 6

Today I did a reset on reaper to have a default set of controls. After running the process I was back to ver 5 again.
I'm going to leave it as it is.

CDS

Last edited by CDS; 05-08-2021 at 07:56 PM.
CDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:49 AM   #2
Softsynth

Good for you. You've found what works for you, and fits your requirements.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:00 AM   #3
CDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Good for you. You've found what works for you, and fits your requirements.
Its not that I found a solution ver 6 is being a waste of time.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:18 AM   #4
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS View Post
Its not that I found a solution ver 6 is being a waste of time.
Heh heh,
Like many people I am happy with the version 6 upgrades.
If you don't see the value in those for yourself then perhaps keep your money until version 7 in a few years time. See if that version offers you anything you want at that point; that is assuming the virus variants haven't mutated into a super killer variant or two to circumvent the ever changing vaccines and snuffed most of us out by then.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:53 PM   #5
CDS

Trying to upgrade to ver 6, is just like upgradIng to ver 5 from ver 4. I had to wipe out ver 4 then install ver 5. I won't do that again to install ver 6
Old 05-07-2021, 11:54 PM   #6
Softsynth

Quote:
Trying to upgrade to ver 6, is just like upgradIng to ver 5 from ver 4. I had to wipe out ver 4 then install ver 5. I won't do that again to install ver 6
I don't know what have done to your install. It should be as trivial updating as any other update.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:32 AM   #7
CDS

Quote:
I don't know what have done to your install. It should be as trivial updating as any other update.

At this time I start reaper I get ver 6 some times and ver 5 at other times.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:57 AM   #8
Softsynth

Quote:
At this time I start reaper I get ver 6 some times and ver 5 at other times.
Bizarre. Have you informed the developers?
Old 05-08-2021, 01:04 AM   #9
CDS

Quote:
Bizarre. Have you informed the developers?

NO, I have not they want many questions answered.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:35 AM   #10
domzy

sounds like you might have 2 versions installed - either one 32 bit & one 64 bit, or that you have a portable & a standard install.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:32 AM   #11
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
sounds like you might have 2 versions installed - either one 32 bit & one 64 bit, or that you have a portable & a standard install.
I didn't want to start out by implying that he could be unobservant enough that he's actually just clicking on different .exe files.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:30 AM   #12
CDS

Quote:
I didn't want to start out by implying that he could be unobservant enough that he's actually just clicking on different .exe files.
There both 64 bit

One is installed in E:/reaper
The other is installed c: autoinstall path
I have not figured out how to seperate the two.

Last edited by CDS; 05-08-2021 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:38 AM   #13
Softsynth

Quote:
There both 64 bit
Is that a declaration or misspelling?

Anyway portable and regular?
Old 05-08-2021, 05:44 AM   #14
CDS

Quote:
Is that a declaration or misspelling?

Anyway portable and regular?
Neither are portable installs

According to people responding to my questions about reaper installs that one will rePlace the other.

Last edited by CDS; 05-08-2021 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:50 AM   #15
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Do you know which is which? It wouldn't have randomly placed itself on E: by Windows by chance. Can you remember why you installed it there in the first place?

I would be inclined to uninstall the one on the E: drive (there's an uninstall.exe file in the directory), then if you want it still, reinstall as portable.

But it's your call, obviously, not mine. Just saying what I would do.

Last edited by nicholas; 05-08-2021 at 07:09 AM.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:59 AM   #16
CDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Do you know which is which? It wouldn't have randomly placed itself on E: by Windows by chance. Can you remember why you installed it there in the first place?

I would be inclined to uninstall the one on the E: drive (there's an uninstall.exe file in the directory), then if you want it still, reinstall as portable.

But it's your call, obviously, not mine. Just saying what I would do.
I placed it there since C: is only 175 gigs
The one on E: is ver 6
Ever since I installed it on E: reaper install selects that location.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:06 PM   #17
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
There both 64 bit

You need to install them as portable installations, if you want to keep them completely separated.

A non-portable installation puts part of its files into the installation-location you chose, in your case E:/Reaper and standard-installationfolder on C:

AND(this is important!)

another part into a folder located in the user-path. That folder is called resourcefolder in Reaper's terms.
The resourcefolder can be opened in the menu-entry Options->Show resourcefolder in Finder/explorer.

This resourcefolder is used by ALL Reaperversions, that weren't installed as portable.
And: this folder stores all your configuration-settings, mouse-modifiers, themes, shortcuts, etc.

That means, if you use different Reaperversions that are not portable on your system, they might try to interpret your usersettings differently.
A Reaper 6 version assumes, these settings are for a Reaper 6 installation and a Reaper 5 version assumes it is for Reaper 5.

So they meddle around with it and that can lead to numerous problems, as settings set by Reaper 6 might collide with Reaper 5 vice versa.

The usual way to use non portable Reaperinstallations is to instanll it once, in one location preferably the default one suggested by the installer.
Multiple installations will probably cause you unforeseeable problems.

So if you need multiple installations of Reaper at the same time, you better use portable installations. They are designed for this and will not interfere with other installations.
You need to set up and configure every single portable installation completely, though, as they are completely separated and will not use anything of the other installed Reaperversion, unless you import an exported configuration made in the other portable Reaperinstallation.

So long story short:

If you install Reaper, install it only in one location and do not install it in multiple locations. Either C or E, not both.

If you need to have them in multiple locations(to test a new version) , always(!) install as portable.
This saves you a lot of trouble.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:16 PM   #18
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
You need to install them as portable installations, if you want to keep them completely separated.
Indeed so.

But given that the OP has now changed his original post so that it now post dates all but one of his subsequent posts I'm at a complete loss trying to figure out where things are at.

Last edited by nicholas; 05-08-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:48 PM   #19
CDS

Quote:
Indeed so.

But given that the OP has now changed his original post so that it now post dates all but one of his subsequent posts I'm at a complete loss trying to figure out where things are at.
I not sure what your saying.

This started out to be something simple to do.

I guess simply loading ver 5 after installing ver 6 is not just as simple as it sounds.

All the guessing about having two versions was never any intention.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:21 PM   #20
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
I guess simply loading ver 5 after installing ver 6 is not just as simple as it sounds.
It's quite simple as long as you make it a portable install, as explained in several posts here and right at the beginning of the User Guide (section 1.3).
Old 05-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #21
CDS

Quote:
Indeed so.

Have no idea what your saying.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:04 PM   #22
CDS

Quote:

A non-portable installation puts part of its files into the installation-location you chose, in your case E:/Reaper and standard-installationfolder on C:

AND(this is important!)

another part into a folder located in the user-path. That folder is called resourcefolder in Reaper's terms.
The resourcefolder can be opened in the menu-entry Options->Show resourcefolder in Finder/explorer.

This resourcefolder is used by ALL Reaperversions, that weren't installed as portable.
And: this folder stores all your configuration-settings, mouse-modifiers, themes, shortcuts, etc.

That means, if you use different Reaperversions that are not portable on your system, they might try to interpret your usersettings differently.
A Reaper 6 version assumes, these settings are for a Reaper 6 installation and a Reaper 5 version assumes it is for Reaper 5.

So they meddle around with it and that can lead to numerous problems, as settings set by Reaper 6 might collide with Reaper 5 vice versa.

The usual way to use non portable Reaperinstallations is to instanll it once, in one location preferably the default one suggested by the installer.
Multiple installations will probably cause you unforeseeable problems.

So if you need multiple installations of Reaper at the same time, you better use portable installations. They are designed for this and will not interfere with other installations.
You need to set up and configure every single portable installation completely, though, as they are completely separated and will not use anything of the other installed Reaperversion, unless you import an exported configuration made in the other portable Reaperinstallation.

So long story short:

If you install Reaper, install it only in one location and do not install it in multiple locations. Either C or E, not both.

If you need to have them in multiple locations(to test a new version) , always(!) install as portable.
This saves you a lot of trouble.

Thank you for your response.
The only one that makes sense of the in and out of reaper.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #23
oneammonday

Why do you need 2 installations of Reaper? I'm not trying to pick on you or anything like that, I'm just curious what the advantages might be. I've often wondered what the difference between a standard install and a portable install means (I've never investigated the topic) and what the uses are for, other than using it in another locale on a different computer. I also see that you had some sort of trouble updating from ver.4 to ver.5 previously. I bought Reaper at ver. 4.14, If I remember correctly, and have updated at every offering and have never had a problem in ANY way. I've never had to fix any of my customizations as far as I can remember. I DID have trouble understanding the coloring when I started tweaking some themes to my own satisfaction and I don't really like the ver. 6 theme, so I've just stuck with my current tweak of ver. 5, but the themes are only a tiny aspect of the latest version and its updates. I DID poke fun at you in one of your previous threads, but I assure you that now I'm just trying to understand the problems you've had so as to avoid them myself. Good luck to you.
oneammonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:46 PM   #24
Meo-Ada Mespotine

In CDS's case, it was the intention to test Reaper 6 first, before migrating the old Reaper 5 version, which is also probably the most used case for portable installations.
Many people also use this to test developer-versions of Reaper to give feedback, but wouldn't want to install developer-versions over their actual work-installation, for stability reasons and possible incompatibilities occuring due the developer-version being buggy.

Another usecase is, that you can create backup-installations. So if for some reason your installation becomes corrupt, which is quite unhandy minutes before you start a session, you can use a backup-installation that you prepared before that case.
Otherwise you need to debug your main Reaper-installation and this can be stressful when you actually want to work and record.

Another one, which is my usecase, having multiple versions to test and develop scripts and see, whether they work on older versions of Reaper as well, if I promise that they'll do.
Or to test on older Reaper-versions, why they don't work to fix them.

So there are plenty of reasons for multiple installations of Reaper as portable.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:33 PM   #25
oneammonday

Oh, I see. I don't really use too many scripts, (pretty casual user, just mic it up and see if I like it type of guy) so I wouldn't think of that reason. As for having a corrupt installation, now I've probably jinxed myself, lol. Cheers to you, Meo.
oneammonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #26
Phazma

Quote:
Many people also use this to test developer-versions of Reaper to give feedback, but wouldn't want to install developer-versions over their actual work-installation, for stability reasons and possible incompatibilities occuring due the developer-version being buggy.
Out of curiosity, what problems could arise from overwriting the main install temporarily just for testing new features and reverting afterwards?

Since I have installed the FTC Update Utility script, which allows downloading any specific version from within Reaper itself in less than a minute, I have made it a habit to just install a dev version over the main install to quickly test it and after testing re-download the official install and overwrite the dev version. I find this less cluttering and confusing than creating different downloads which I may forget to delete and have multiple Reaper apps where I might accidentally launch the wrong one.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:21 AM   #27
CDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Out of curiosity, what problems could arise from overwriting the main install temporarily just for testing new features and reverting afterwards?

Since I have installed the FTC Update Utility script, which allows downloading any specific version from within Reaper itself in less than a minute, I have made it a habit to just install a dev version over the main install to quickly test it and after testing re-download the official install and overwrite the dev version. I find this less cluttering and confusing than creating different downloads which I may forget to delete and have multiple Reaper apps where I might accidentally launch the wrong one.

Don't overwrite do a portable instead.
I'm staying with my ver 5
Old 05-13-2021, 04:47 AM   #28
Phazma

Quote:
Don't overwrite do a portable instead.
My question was not what to do but what could go wrong if I didn’t do portable instals.. I have never had problems going back and forth between Reaper versions, all things always openend properly. I obviously don’t do serious work with dev versions. (Currently the situation is a bit different because the dev version of the Reaper app has a different name than the official version, so it create 2 parallel installs anyway, but that should soon not be the case anymore).
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:21 AM   #29
CDS

Quote:
My question was not what to do but what could go wrong if I didn’t do portable instals.. I have never had problems going back and forth between Reaper versions, all things always openend properly. I obviously don’t do serious work with dev versions. (Currently the situation is a bit different because the dev version of the Reaper app has a different name than the official version, so it create 2 parallel installs anyway, but that should soon not be the case anymore).
Go further back in this posting.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:28 PM   #30
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
When using dev-releases, it's easy: some bug or regression could corrupt your installation. It's not predictable. Often there are no problems but occasionally it could be. That's why they aren't meant for productive use and such bugs are usually found during pre-release cycles.

With regular, it depends. Usually you shouldn't have a problem at all, but it can in rare cases lead to settings changed, again by bugs or regressions, though they are rare.
The biggest issue is probably saving projects in the new version and opening them in the old one, as the projectfile could contain states not interpreted by the old version.

So rule of thumb, when using regular releases, up and downgrading shouldn't be a problem in most cases, but can be in rare ones.

With dev-releases, expect things to be buggy, so this could corrupt your installation. Happens not very often but does and is usually fixed for the next pre-release.