Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-20-2020, 01:56 AM   #361
mrelwood
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
PS. and version 0.34 of DynaStrip has a problem with the modules "freaking out" when I recall a preset.
Fixed!

Quote:
Plus every time I load a new instance, it does the starting animation.
You will now only see it in a new instance once per loading a project.

http://b.link/mrelwood_DynaStrip_0v35
Old 08-28-2020, 02:37 AM   #362
HoJo

Default What has happened?

Hi All.

As there hasn't been much apperance of mrelwood on this forum...
does anybody here knows if he is still around in this forum?

I mean even his page: http://www.mrelwoodplugins.ml
seems to be a deadend.

Any idea?

HoJo
HoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #363
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
Hi All.

As there hasn't been much apperance of mrelwood on this forum...
does anybody here knows if he is still around in this forum?
Yes I am! I’m sorry for the surprisingly huge gap with publications, I’ve been a bit floored with a few other projects I have to finish in the following weeks. Rest assured, I still relax by making plugins, and I have new versions of AmpEra, LinkEQ and a new one called VocStrip not far from being published.

The fact that I have other projects as well can actually be translated to my health being in a very good place right now! Too bad it slows down the plugin thing a bit...

Quote:
I mean even his page: http://www.mrelwoodplugins.ml
seems to be a deadend.
That’s a bummer! I’ll check out what’s going on there. Meanwhile, the direct link still works:

https://mrelwood5.wixsite.com/plugins
Old 08-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #364
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
Yes I am! I’m sorry for the surprisingly huge gap with publications, I’ve been a bit floored with a few other projects I have to finish in the following weeks. Rest assured, I still relax by making plugins, and I have new versions of AmpEra, LinkEQ and a new one called VocStrip not far from being published.

The fact that I have other projects as well can actually be translated to my health being in a very good place right now! Too bad it slows down the plugin thing a bit...

That’s a bummer! I’ll check out what’s going on there. Meanwhile, the direct link still works:

Most of your links etc are a bit iffy too, do you want a wordpress install and storage space on my hosting free of charge ?
I do this for a few other developers too.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #365
bolgwrad

I recently had a similar thing where my domain host was auto-renewing happily, but the domain name wasn't.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #366
profquad

Default ducker?

Thank you! Downloaded a bunch, donated 20 will donate more for each one I end up using!
Came across this thread looking for a ducker, not sure which one has that built in, but I'm looking for one that doesn't require sidechaining, I just want to cut sound at a certain volume like an analog ducker, haven't found one yet!
Thanks again! Will be back with feedback/$
profquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #367
skippertag

Quote:
Originally Posted by profquad View Post
Thank you! Downloaded a bunch, donated 20 will donate more for each one I end up using!
Came across this thread looking for a ducker, not sure which one has that built in, but I'm looking for one that doesn't require sidechaining, I just want to cut sound at a certain volume like an analog ducker, haven't found one yet!
In REAPER you can do that without a special plugin - you may want to study "Parameter Modulation" which is a fantastic feature.
skippertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:14 PM   #368
skippertag

Quote:

Thank you for the name suggestions! Lets call it:

http://b.link/mrelwood_DynaStrip_0v2
Hey mrelwood :-)

Very good to hear that you're in good health!

I wanted to download and try the new plugin but I get an 404-error.

Thanks a lot for all your art and work!
Old 09-17-2020, 12:03 AM   #369
danerius

Quote:

Good to hear youre feeling better. Keep it up

Regards /danerius
danerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:10 AM   #370
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by profquad View Post
Thank you, profquad!
My Matrix Delay (new version coming in a few days!) has a ducker built in, but I don’t think it’s what you are looking for. Can you explain in more detail what you want to achieve?
Old 09-17-2020, 12:56 AM   #371
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippertag View Post
Hey mrelwood :-)

Very good to hear that you're in good health!

I wanted to download and try the new plugin but I get an 404-error.

Thanks a lot for all your art and work!
Thanks a lot, skippertag! Since I had a bad habit of including the version number in the link, I purposefully remove the old versions. The latest DynaStrip is version 0.35:
http://b.link/mrelwood_DynaStrip_0v35
Old 09-17-2020, 01:10 AM   #372
skippertag

That was fast. Thank you!!
Old 09-17-2020, 02:05 AM   #373
mrelwood

mrelwoodplugins.ml is alive again!

And so are new versions of LinkEQ, CompLab, and StereOpposition!
Old 09-17-2020, 03:01 AM   #374
skippertag

Quote:
mrelwoodplugins.ml is alive again!

And so are new versions of LinkEQ, CompLab, and StereOpposition!
Unfortunately that site does not open in my Firefox. Is it really the correct link? The only site that still works for me is that one: https://mrelwood5.wixsite.com/plugins

The link for StereOppostion gives me 404 error

Best Regards,
Frank

Last edited by skippertag; 09-17-2020 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:26 AM   #375
mrelwood

Quote:
Unfortunately that site does not open in my Firefox. Is it really the correct link?
It works on my Opera and Safari. My browser does warn me because it isn't a secure connection, maybe your Firefox is set up to block unsecure connections?

Quote:
The link for StereOppostion gives me 404 error
Ah, forgot that there was another link at the "Tools" page. I bet you tried to download from there. Fixed!
Old 09-17-2020, 03:41 AM   #376
skippertag

Quote:
It works on my Opera and Safari. My browser does warn me because it isn't a secure connection, maybe your Firefox is set up to block unsecure connections?
well yes, but with this site mrelwoodplugins.ml I get no warning and my usual blockers don't react - it's only that the site is just blank. Is it a referrer to the mrelwood5.... site or a second website of you?

Quote:
Ah, forgot that there was another link at the "Tools" page. I bet you tried to download from there. Fixed!
You won ;-)
Old 09-17-2020, 03:45 AM   #377
mrelwood

Quote:
well yes, but with this site mrelwoodplugins.ml I get no warning and my usual blockers don't react - it's only that the site is just blank. Is it a referrer to the mrelwood5.... site or a second website of you?
It's just a forwarding service, nothing more. Unfortunately I don't know what could be the cause.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:48 AM   #378
skippertag

Quote:
It's just a forwarding service, nothing more. Unfortunately I don't know what could be the cause.
All good. As I have bookmarked the site I can reach anytime.. Was just wondering about the other link.

StereOppostion is now ready to get tested :-) Thanks!
Old 09-18-2020, 05:46 PM   #379
JamesPeters

I have yet another feature suggestion for DynaStrip.

Consider how the transient strip allows transients to "pass by" unaffected, and how the contant loudness of the plugin can't be maintained as effectively when doing this (since strong peaks tend to mess with the "auto loudness" aspect of the plugin, making it drop loudness even more to compensate). So, the workflow of the plugin may not be as smooth when using the transient strip. Depending on the location of the transient strip in the "chain", it might not complicate the workflow as much. If it's placed before the saturation strip, the saturation strip can reduce the peaks of the transient strip. If it's placed before the compression strip, that can help reduce those peaks. But either way, it's possible the "punch" of those peaks may be affected more than intended by subsequent saturation or compression (since the point of using the transient strip is to keep the transient response similar). The controls of the transient strip are nice, but I find myself frequently adjusting volume up and down, and compression up and down, to compensate when using the transient strip. I find this more noticeable when compressing a snare mic than with a whole drum mix, so it might not be something you would have noticed.

If the transient strip had a clipper (with a control for varying threshold or intensity or whatever makes sense, such as to dial in a sound that's clipped as transparently as possible), the overall loudness of the plugin could potentially be maintained more naturally when using the transient strip.

I understand if this isn't feasible or doesn't work as well as I might think. It's not very important, but the plugin works so well otherwise (including maintaining a general loudness level without having to adjust several controls to compensate for one other when changing settings) that I wanted to ask about the possibility of adding this.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:54 PM   #380
mrelwood

Quote:
I have yet another feature suggestion for DynaStrip.
Hi James!
Accompanying your request with a practical example and a detailed and well rooted reasoning... You already know I can’t resist that!

I’ll play around and see what would be a reasonable solution.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #381
mrelwood

Unfortunately mrelwoodplugins.ml redirect is down, again. But I'm building a fresh new website on a new domain with the genorous help of Win Conway. Meanwhile, the current plugin page can still be reached at https://mrelwood5.wixsite.com/plugins

James Peters hit a nerve with his suggestion, so I took a little time to improve

http://b.link/mrelwood_DynaStrip_BETA

DynaStrip 0.40:
- Huge improvements on Transient engine, fe. removing large amounts of distortion both at the transient as well as at the sustain.
- Added: Auto-volume percentage knob for the Transient block.

Last edited by mrelwood; 09-21-2020 at 03:15 PM.
mrelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:24 PM   #382
JamesPeters

Very nice! I like these changes.

Other compressors generally have an attack time and/or RMS controls which you can use to decide how much transient to pass and how quickly it reacts depending on the material. A knee control can help with the overall response to transients too. A potential problem with that approach is that strong transients passing unaffected can make the overall signal peak quite high (unless you use a second compressor to catch those stronger transients, and then you have to balance both plugins). Most compressors also don't really seem to let me "catch" and shape a fast/strong transient quite right either; it seems hit-or-miss unless the audio is fairly consistent. Because of this I tend to use most compressors with "0" attack time (and a relaxed knee) and then blend some dry signal in, but it's always a balancing act depending on the source material; a setting used for one part of a track might not be very good for another part of the track.

DynaStrip's approach works better for me. It's still a balancing act with transient peak strength versus sustain/compression, but it's much easier for me to dial in the setting I want. I can use a single instance of DynaStrip (using a single preset) on a snare drum track to get the right attack and "squish" for medium-strength hits spaced further apart as well as playing hard/fast rolls, without the compression/transient balance sounding inappropriate for either part. Using the saturation strip after the transient strip helps keep the peak output in check if it goes really strong.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:29 PM   #383
dagamusik

Webpage link broken, both
dagamusik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:40 PM   #384
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamusik View Post
Webpage link broken, both
This link really doesn't open for you?

Old 09-22-2020, 01:27 AM   #385
Regisfofo

Works for me, thank you for continuing developping them.Donation send!
Regisfofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:35 AM   #386
shosty

Apologies if this has been asked already but I didn't find anything in the search.

Is it possible for LinkEQ instances to be opposed so that if you raise 1khz by 3db in master then 1khz is lowered by 3db in the slave?
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #387
JamesPeters

I suspect a few things might be a bit wonky in DynaStrip...

First, I notice the treble control in the transient strip doesn't seem to do much (although that might just be due to the source material with which I'm testing). Also turning the bass control down adds more bass to the sound. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something about how it's supposed to work (maybe it means that the more you turn it up, the more the transient strip acts on the bass or treble?), or their ranges.

I just tested the treble/bass controls for the saturation strip and it seems the bass "works backwards" for that strip too (and it's more noticeable in that strip, since the bass sounds quite nice when "turned down" which is actually increasing the bass ). For the saturation strip I can tell the treble control adds treble when turned up, and removes it when turned down, so that seems normal. I hadn't tried these controls much since I wasn't using them to shape the sound until now. I was happy to just have all the other controls. Now I'm getting more into the subtleties of the plugin.

Also the metering for the transient strip seems weird. The meter segment on the right is "on" all the time irrespective of whether it has signal or not. It seems dimmed though, and sometimes randomly I'll notice a "blip" on that side (I can't repeat it consistently at all). (edit) I just tried loading DynaStrip again and I had something different happen: the meter segment on the right isn't there. So something seems amiss.

That made me compare to the other meters in the other strips, and for the overall output. The overall output meter display has separate left/right meters (confirmed by muting signal on left or right channel going into DynaStrip by unchecking the plugin pin connectors), but the compression and saturation strips' meter segments don't act that way. Those meter segments are joined/linked, not reflecting what signal is present at the input.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 09-22-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:51 PM   #388
mrelwood

Quote:
First, I notice the treble control in the transient strip doesn't seem to do much
Oh, I actually didn’t test the transient EQ after the big recent changes. I’ll check them now. But in general, as the EQ only acts on the transient, more than actually changing the EQ of the resulting sound it changes which content the transient block acts on. So increasing treble makes it work on the hihat, boosting bass makes it work on kick etc. It could be that the auto volume settings just need to be readjusted.

Quote:
I just tested the treble/bass controls for the saturation strip and it seems the bass "works backwards"
The EQ on the saturation block is also pre effect, so boosting bass makes the bass more distorted and mushy, and cutting the bass makes the bass more clear. I’ll check if the balance needs adjusting.

Quote:
Also the metering for the transient strip...
Oh right, forgot! The block now acts on linked stereo input, so there’s no more separate L and R metering. Will fix right away.

The metering on each block is the amount of effect being applied, not block input/output. So on compressor it’s gain reduction, on transient it’s the transient volume, etc. The blocks now all acts on linked stereo input, so there’s only one meter to be shown.

Thanks for the report! I’ll have a fixed update available in a few hours.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:09 AM   #389
JamesPeters

Thanks for the explanation. I figured there was a chance I didn't understand the controls. I was only testing the transient strip on something with fairly consistent frequency response and not a full mix, so that aspect went over my head. There was nothing "in a mix" that I was trying to focus on, nothing that would really change by adjusting those controls.

And the saturation EQ makes sense now that I know what the controls do. I guess saturating lows (to the point of obvious distortion) can have the effect of making some of the bass less noticeable, and saturating highs can make them more noticeable. I do like the balance the way it is. That bit of info was all I needed.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:35 AM   #390
mrelwood

http://b.link/mrelwood_DynaStrip_0v41

- Fixed: Transient block metering
- Fixed: Transient block EQ
- Fixed: Saturation Bass EQ
- Fixed: Block order volume jumps
- Transient (and saturation EQ) auto-volume improvements
- Increased Comp HP freq range to 400Hz

The transient EQ didn't indeed do anything in 0.40 (other than a little auto-volume). Now it does again.

To keep things somewhat consistent, the Saturation block bass EQ does have a compensating bass post EQ as well. I'm sorry if you're not getting the exact same sound anymore when cutting the bass, but the balance makes more sense to me this way.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #391
JamesPeters

Thanks!

Yes the balance is a bit different for the bass in the saturation, but it works better now overall and I can move the EQ strip before the saturation and/or change the EQ settings, which I wasn't using for much before this anyway.

Transient strip EQ definitely affects it now. It works nicely.

And I notice the CPU increased about 25% overall for the plugin with these latest changes (all strips active). It's still reasonable considering all it does (and on my system it's not even remotely a problem if I use many instances of the compressor).
Old 10-03-2020, 06:10 AM   #392
mrelwood

New plugin!

A complete vocal dynamics processor with EQ.

https://mrelwood5.wixsite.com/plugins/vocastrip
Old 10-03-2020, 06:17 AM   #393
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Hey, nice GUI!
It's interesting to see what can be done with JS, GUI-wise. Maybe some IK T-racks inspiration?
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:34 AM   #394
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Hey, nice GUI!
It's interesting to see what can be done with JS, GUI-wise. Maybe some IK T-racks inspiration?
Now that you said it, I can definitely see the similiar colour scheme. But no, it wasn't the actual inspiration! My vocal tracks are automatically coloured yellow, so the golden front panel was kind of an obvious choice. And since I realized later on that the plugin also needs an EQ... and then a gate... the separate effect blocks was a done deal as well.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:18 AM   #395
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Ah ah
Yes, it was the colorscheme, but the stacking as well
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #396
dagamusik

This looks amazing! Just downloaded!

How do I make the EQ section work? I don't know the way to boost or cut the frequencies.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:54 AM   #397
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamusik View Post
This looks amazing!
Thanks man!

Quote:
How do I make the EQ section work?
Drag a frequency reading up or down. Once the node is activated, you can drag the node itself as well. I agree, it's not very clear, and I'm trying to figure out a better experience without making it visually too busy.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #398
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Ah ah
Yes, it was the colorscheme, but the stacking as well
Oooh... It's been about 17 years since I last saw a T-Racks plugin... I honestly didn't remember that it was so similiar! Dang!
Old 10-03-2020, 12:04 PM   #399
dagamusik

Quote:
Drag a frequency reading up or down. Once the node is activated, you can drag the node itself as well. I agree, it's not very clear, and I'm trying to figure out a better experience without making it visually too busy.
Done!

I cannot imagine how hard it has to be to program a plugin and make it work. Amazing job dude!
Old 10-04-2020, 10:07 PM   #400
vanhaze

Amazing mrelwood, thank you so much !

If i may: (my experience on OSX):

In Reaper's FX Plugin List, the plugin is found under the name "Vocomp" and not VocaStrip.