Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-26-2024, 02:40 PM   #1
Taciturn
Human being with feelings

Default Sneaker netting Reaper Consolidated Files

I've been working away in my "air gap" sort of studio with Reaper and have lately completed a beginning phase of my project, and so I've made a Consolidated File. Now it's time for me to take the song/project over to other studios to do those things that I cannot back in my air gap home studio.

As so advised, I made a desktop Folder in which to deposit the consolidated files when creating the c. file. Among the consolidated WAV Files and consolidated wav.repeaks Files that I put in the Folder I included a Studio Notes Text Document for reference, so I really want to make sure that I have my facts straight before busy engineers get reading it.

This was the first time that I had ever made a "Consolidated File" and as it happened for one reason or the other I came to need to go through the, "Consolidate/Export tracks" process more than once.

My plan is to purchase a USB-SSD -put the song's consolidated file folder into the portable SSD with USB-C and then take it into another studio.

I know that I have all of the 7 track's consolidated WAV Files and consolidated wav.repeaks files in the Folder. I included a File Folder in the desktop folder from the first time I did the Consolidate/Export tracks process. In it is only the song's 7 track's consolidated WAV Files and consolidated wav.repeaks files that I got in an orderly list. As well I also have such WAV Files and wav.repeaks files in the desktop folder list from another Consolidate/Export tracks effort. I don't know if it's important, but also "-stem-glued 18.wav repeaks REPEAKS File" and "-stem-glued 18.wav WAV FILE" also were found included.
The thing is, I also included a REAPER Project File and REAPER Back up Project File, thinking that that might be of some usefulness or convenience to whoever may be working on it in the future in another studio.

But then I recalled something in a Tonebone Marone tutorial that makes me wonder whether I should even bother to include the REAPER Project File and REAPER Back up Project File. These files probably only work when the Folder is in my PC. (?)

If this is so, then I don't want to include them in my "Sneaker Net" SSD-USB-C Folder, and make any references in the studio notes text document.

I think, perhaps all I need to worry about is getting the consolidated WAV Files over to the other studio. (?)

Does anyone have a preferred portable drive? They say the SSDs are the best for audio.

Thank you for your time and consideration
Taciturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 06:41 PM   #2
Taciturn

Default re: "session files" ( rpp. )

I came back to that old Tomebone Marone tutorial, "How to Consolidate Audio Files in Reaper" 2020. He began by stating the 3 most common errors people make when giving over audio files for him to mix.
One of them was people sending him "session files" (which in Reaper session file titles are always followed by "rpp." -he says these session files are essentially a road map that the program looks to find where to read the audio files from, but doesn't actually contain any audio.

-Sure enough the, "CONSOLIDATED FILE.rpp (REAPER Project File)" and the, "CONSOLIDATED FILE.rpp (REAPER Backup Project File)" that I spoke of in the previous starter thread were "session files".

I still don't know what to make of the,"-stem-glued 18.wav repeaks REPEAKS File" and "-stem-glued 18.wav WAV FILE" that were also were found included. -Unless someone tells me different, I'll just leave them out.

My plan now is to only have the WAV files -and the explanatory text document in the Folder that I give over to the other studios.

Originally I thought that it would of been mighty handy having the,"CONSOLIDATED FILE.rpp (REAPER Project File)" and the, "CONSOLIDATED FILE.rpp (REAPER Backup Project File)" included for engineers quick reference and/or something for musicians to study pre-session, -if these played audio for them. -I was thinking that it would be good to have all of this on one folder in one portable USB.

However, now what I'll likely do is make a separate Folder -for another separate portable drive that contains a "Rendering" for musicians.

It now seems best to give the Consolidated File WAV Files to the studio engineers, and renderings of the song, specifically appropriate for what kinds of musicians that will be involved in the additional recording sessions.

Other than the "stem-glued" WAV File & wav.repeaks files it seems that I'm sorted out about this.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Last edited by Taciturn; 05-28-2024 at 06:44 PM. Reason: simplification
Old 05-28-2024, 07:33 PM   #3
mister happy

If it were me, and assuming that every project I work on is sitting in its own folder/directory and the project audio is nested in that folder, I would look at the properties of the project folder, determine its size, and then drag it onto a suitable USB stick.

Done.

That said, if I were using virtual instruments or sample-based content, I would bounce/render or freeze those tracks so that they were 100% portable and then do what I described in the first passage.

If there is a concern that some virtual effects may not be available at the destination studio, I screenshot the FX GUI so the parameters are noted in a convenient format.

Good luck! Hope you have fun!
mister happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 05:55 AM   #4
Stella645

If making consolidated stems to work in any DAW the simple check is to open a new Reaper project and drag them all into it.

Check nothing is missing, nothing is duplicated and everything is in sync at start and end of project. If you can do it and it works it will work at their end.

Wavs is all they need, reapeaks are Reapers own waveform graphic files.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 09:26 AM   #5
serr

Even if the new engineer used Reaper, they would likely ignore your session files anyway. We all have our starting point sessions with some I/O and bussing, etc. Goes without saying if they use a different DAW.

Just make stem tracks - ie. all tracks starting at a common zero point. That way they can be dropped into any DAW project.

If you want to be fully thorough you can include both raw and mix stems. Raw meaning as recorded with no processing of any kind. Just stemmed to a common start point. Mix stems if you had some production you wanted to preserve and have the new engineer work from.

And if you have something you dialed up on some track that you really like and you don't want to give anyone the choice to alter it... then only give a mix stem for that track.

FYI, Reaper will look for 'missing audio' in the same folder the .rpp file is in. Hence the advice to put projects in their own folders. Easy to move around! There's no tying of your audio files to any host computer like copy protection style. It may have seemed that way one day if you moved something, didn't have it neatly in its own folder with the .rpp, and then Reaper couldn't find the audio by itself.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 10:47 PM   #6
Taciturn

Thank you for your useful replies.

At this time my only purpose is to go over to other studios for tracking purposes.
-To track those things that I cannot in my air-gapped home studio.
-I'll bring these tracks back home to scrutinize and edit in my Reaper DAW.
There may come a point that I may again take the consolidated WAV Files of this song out, this time to a mixing engineer's studio, but then again I may find a way to mix it myself.

Being more of a singer/songwriter/musician -I work old school-analogue, very simply, tracking dry mostly, with no control board virtual instruments etc. and will likely leave what little FX there will be involved in this project to others anyway. Whatever luck I had with FX in Reaper I would Glue, but for the most part haven't had much success with the operation of Reaper FX.

It's clear that what I want in my Folder is the Consolidated WAV Files. There doesn't seem to be any purpose to include the wav. repeaks Files.

*However from a few things that a couple of you said, I'm still not absolutely sure as to whether the Session File, "CONSOLIDATED FILE.rpp (REAPER Project File)" that I spoke of in my previous message aught to be included or not. (?) -Perhaps if they had a Reaper DAW it would function ??

Now it also seems clear that what I want to give to the prospective studio musicians are usb sticks with Renderings of the song for their study purposes.

I'm thinking, (if I cannot definitely ascertain the merit of including the session file) that just giving the recording studio only the Consolidated WAV Files, and giving the musicians Rendered Files may be the way to go. it's probably best to keep it simple.

I am quite interested in what serr said re:
"Just make stem tracks - ie. all tracks starting at a common zero point. That way they can be dropped into any DAW project."
-I don't understand this stem approach yet the universal compatibility that you speak of would be of great use...

The Reaper user manual & the Tonebone tutorial both seem to indicate that with Reaper Consolidated Files all of the tracks begin at a common point -and that reaper Consolidated Files are compatible with most DAWs and studios. -So I wonder as to what advantage there would be to doing it otherwise ?
Old 05-30-2024, 05:18 AM   #7
Stella645

Stems and consolidated files (of each track) are basically the same thing.

Regarding the rrp....if the studio definitely uses Reaper there is no need for stems or consolidating anything. Just make sure all audio is in the project folder (save as and tick the copy audio to project folder box) and take the whole folder. Then as long as they record into your folder you can take it home and load it straight up and carry on.

If you're not sure, just take stems.
Old 05-30-2024, 07:01 AM   #8
mister happy

Hi,
If you think in terms of "old school-analogue", which is also how I think then you might visualize an 8 track reel of tape as eight wave files sitting side by side, all starting at the same time.

So, the main concept to base a portable DAW workflow on, is that once all your DAW tracks are populated by wave files that all start at the same time, you have a very portable project.

For my part, I am always working towards gluing the contents of each track in my REAPER project into a single item with a start time of 0:00 as soon as possible.

I should have mentioned that in my previous post, but I take it for granted, so I forgot its need for emphasis regarding its role in portability.

You can call the items stems, consolidated files, wave files, or items. The important part is that because they all start at the same time, you can drag them into any DAW, and they will all align.

There are other more complicated methods of transferring project contents, but if you think in terms of "old school analog," using full-length sound files is pretty much foolproof.

Good luck, have fun!
mister happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 10:07 AM   #9
serr

If you're just going in to track and not mix anything...
Don't spend a moment reinventing the mix/production wheel! It would all be lost time because it doesn't connect to the finished project. Effort you would have to pay for!

Render basic stems to track to including a full 2-track mix. Some people are just fine tracking to the working mix as is. So, you're already done with that stereo rough. Then basic stems for the one who says "Can you turn down the <fill in the blank>?" You probably already have markers at song starts. Render the stems to those reference points the same so you can just drag/drop the new files into the working project when you get back home.

Don't spend time mixing. Don't spend time trying to reinvent your production in progress in a different studio. Bring stems, get headphone mixes up, and track. I mean, I don't want to tell you what to do! Maybe you start mixing in this new place and finish the next big hit! Just don't do a random "match this mix" in a different studio for no reason.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 04:37 PM   #10
PaigeOneill

Hey there! Sounds like you're on the right track with prepping your project for other studios. I've definitely been in that boat of moving stuff around with an air gap setup. Here's my take on your questions:

Absolutely, sneaker netting with a USB-SSD is a great way to move your consolidated files. SSDs are definitely the way to go for audio – they're super fast and reliable. As for brands, any reputable brand like Samsung or SanDisk should work well.

For the files themselves, you've got the essential stuff: the consolidated WAV files and the .reapeaks files. Those are all the other studios will need to work with your audio. The "-stem-glued" files you mentioned sound like they might be from a previous attempt – you can probably skip including those unless they're specifically relevant to the project.

Spot on about the Reaper project files. They won't be much use to other studios without your original plugins and settings. Unless you're collaborating with someone who uses Reaper and has your exact setup, it's best to leave those behind. A good studio notes document explaining your creative choices will be way more helpful.
PaigeOneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 09:47 AM   #11
Taciturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeOneill View Post
Hey there! Sounds like you're on the right track with prepping your project for other studios. I've definitely been in that boat of moving stuff around with an air gap setup. Here's my take on your questions:

Absolutely, sneaker netting with a USB-SSD is a great way to move your consolidated files. SSDs are definitely the way to go for audio – they're super fast and reliable. As for brands, any reputable brand like Samsung or SanDisk should work well.

For the files themselves, you've got the essential stuff: the consolidated WAV files and the .reapeaks files. Those are all the other studios will need to work with your audio. The "-stem-glued" files you mentioned sound like they might be from a previous attempt – you can probably skip including those unless they're specifically relevant to the project.

Spot on about the Reaper project files. They won't be much use to other studios without your original plugins and settings. Unless you're collaborating with someone who uses Reaper and has your exact setup, it's best to leave those behind. A good studio notes document explaining your creative choices will be way more helpful.
Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies.

PaigeOneill speaks of the .repeaks files being useful, but I don't think they would be necessary just for additional tracking sessions in other studios. -Perhaps these wav.repeaks files may be useful in the mix-down or mastering process ?

As someone advised me on Gearspace, "Any serious, modern studio will have a protocol for transferring files between clients. - Have a conversation with the studios you want to work with and ask them how best to transfer projects." -so really I'll need to confer with the studio people that I'm going to be working with as to any of these details. It is nice to have some idea before hand though.

-The Transcend 2TB thumbdrive (with USB-C and USB-A) really has my interest, except that my current PC only has USB-C but no matter-
This thumbdrive may still be worthwhile however should the recording studio have USB-A.
-For my upcoming one song project -perhaps a smaller capacity Transcend thumbdrive with the USB-C & USB-A is the direction I should pursue ? After all it's the speed of the SSD-USB-C that made it especially interesting to me.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:34 AM   #12
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taciturn View Post

PaigeOneill speaks of the .repeaks files being useful, but I don't think they would be necessary just for additional tracking sessions in other studios. -Perhaps these wav.repeaks files may be useful in the mix-down or mastering process ?
Pretty sure that's an AI response not a real boy...and no repeaks are not any use.