Old 05-23-2024, 02:49 PM   #1
kulich
Human being with feelings

Default Babyface or motu M4

I'm helping my son find an interface - he just invested in a mac mini M2 Pro and his ultralite Mk 2 will be replaced; he could buy a couple of dongles and continue with firewire to T3 to T4 but what's the point (I asked ).

His music is essentially in the box - he makes beats and sound designs for EDM - he'll need a mic in for adding live sound to mangle but basically works exclusively with samples, synths and plugins.

After some reading I decided he could afford a Motu M4, which plays nicely with mac silicon. That's under CAD$400 here on the west coast.

Then I saw someone who was selling a Babyface Pro for CAD$600 sort of near by. When I contacted him the price went up to CAD$700 since he had a story.

Looking here I see there is some love for ESI interfaces as well - Long and McQuade does not stock the U86 XT Pro which would have been my choice for him since we are now maxing his budget. Unfortunately the ESI site says the U86 Pro isn't current working well with the M@ cpu - there's a beta driver. Not being class compliant is a good thing? I'm sure the drivers will be fine in time but I'd prefer plug and play since he's just visiting us for a bit.

After all that - does it make sense for him to buy the Motu and carry on or is it a good idea to go a bit more upscale even though the Babyface is used?

Cheers - Peter

edited for ESI clarity
kulich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 06:03 PM   #2
User41

If he is strictly ITB with no mics or external instruments I wouldn’t spend much on an interface at all. I might not even use an interface. Just just the headphone jack with the Mac.

Perhaps I am missing something simple.
User41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 07:54 PM   #3
kulich

As usual I was over thinking it.

He doesn't mix with phones so he needs the interface to route to powered monitors. And he does sample his voice and other found audio so he needs at least one input.

In the end I just ordered the Motu M4 as it plays nicely with mac silicon. He can upgrade when he starts actually generating income.

Thanks for your input.
kulich is offline   Reply With Quote