Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-08-2020, 02:35 AM   #1
Tiggerdyret
Human being with feelings

Default Referencing mix/master on different speakers?

I'm at the final stage of my newest mix and I was wondering how you people approach referencing your mix/master on different speakers, particularly speakers you don't know.

I have my general mixing speakers, headphones and a subpac, but apart from those I don't really know any other sound systems that well.
How do you go about fixing the problems you hear on speakers you aren't used to?

I'm mastering the tracks myself with the help of Ozone, so I'm also wondering if you scrutinize the referencing both before and after mastering, because listening on a wide variety of systems will be difficult as I need to go to friends and family to listen.

Lastly is there anything else I need to be aware of in terms of referencing speakers?

Thanks
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdyret View Post
How do you go about fixing the problems you hear on speakers you aren't used to?
Listen again on the speakers you ARE used to. Are you still able to focus on that "problem"? I mean still able to at least identify it. It still might not jump out at you - since like it wasn't jumping out before - but you can now hear that same element the different speakers helped illustrate.

You might decide that now that it has been pointed out you agree on your normal speakers that it's a problem to fix. Or you might decide those different speakers are out to lunch and you were correct in the first place. Or a compromise in-between.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:12 AM   #3
Tiggerdyret

Sounds like a good approach. Thanks.
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote