Old 09-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
ThePulse
Human being with feelings

Default Power Conditioners & Supplies

Looking for a good, price conscious, rack mountable solution for power management and conditioning.

I need it/them to supply CONSTANT, EVEN and CLEAN power to:

- A custom pc with an 850watt PSU
- A custom storage server with a 400watt PSU
- 2 x 23" LCD monitors
- 2 x External HDD's
- An M-Audio Delta 1010
- A PreSonus Studio Channel
- A PreSonus Central Station
- 2 x Yamaha MSP7's
- 2 x Samson Resolv 65a's

I've been told that Furman is the best in this regard, but was wondering if someone with experience can let me know a good model, how many I'll need, and so forth.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Kundalinguist

Some of the UPS systems have conditioners in them (higher end ones).

Furman is a long time standard. However, if I recall correctly, a guitar player in one band I played in took measurements and the power wasn't constant and may have been slightly under or over. I guess the point is, don't just buy it for the label. Do a lot of research IF you think that having a separate power conditioner is necessary.

I have a Tripp Lite rack power unit and a separate UPS.

In general, a decent UPS unit should even out the current from what I understand. But maybe someone else can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone?
Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
ThePulse

Understandable, but as this is a home mixing/mastering studio and quite small, I have no need for a $1000+ UPS system. That and rarely does power ever go out for anything on my block.

I want two units as I can plug in the more consistent devices in one (ie. monitors, pc, external hdds, sound card, pre-amp), and the more variable devices in the other (speaker monitors, monitor switcher, etc).

So far I've been looking at the Monster MP PRO 3500 Rack, and the Furman P-8 PRO II.

Other people are encouraged to chime in though.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
bullshark

What make you think you even need that?

Surge protection? Yeah, why not, especially since they normally multiply your outlets, which are always in short supply in a studio.

But "power conditioner"? Why? Your current out of condition?

Oh, I should add, the best power conditioner there is is a transformer, the bigger the better; the good news is, there's a gigantic one for you right on the electric pole outside

Last edited by bullshark; 09-19-2010 at 07:32 PM.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
ThePulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
What make you think you even need that?

Surge protection? Yeah, why not, especially since they normally multiply your outlets, which are always in short supply in a studio.

But "power conditioner"? Why? Your current out of condition?

Oh, I should add, the best power conditioner there is is a transformer, the bigger the better; the good news is, there's a gigantic one for you right on the electric pole outside
Because I'd rather have a rack mountable solution as I'm not a fan of power strips laying all over the floor, and to my knowledge, there are no rack mountable surge protectors. There are however rack mountable power conditioners with added surge protection functionality which fits and serves the basis of MY needs.

I'm looking for people with home studio rack mountable power conditioners/surge protectors to come forward and give me their personal reviews of products as most REVIEWS aren't real world tested half of the time.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePulse View Post
Because I'd rather have a rack mountable solution as I'm not a fan of power strips laying all over the floor, and to my knowledge, there are no rack mountable surge protectors.
Sure there are.
http://www.rackmountsolutions.net/Po..._Rackmount.asp
only one example.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
ThePulse

Quote:
Hmm ok. I was looking directly in a pro-audio supplier store and didn't see any. I do however like the idea of and want the added power conditioning for my more sensitive equipment. And also 8-outlet, 20amp solutions that have all or the majority of the outlets on the back.

I'm firm in the conditioning lane...now I just need personal recommendations.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
Sigilus

Quote:
True, but do you trust the utility company and/or Nature?
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
ThePulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth R. View Post
True, but do you trust the utility company and/or Nature?
I don't. Not 100% at least. Maybe things are different in Canada though?
Old 09-23-2010, 04:55 AM   #10
suburbancore

Personally, I'd never run a PC without a UPS....no matter HOW stable the power company's supply appears to be.

In your scenario (and since you want clean/conditioned power for your gear) I'd go for sth like an enterprise rack-mountable line-interactive UPS

That will give you a pure sinewave voltage cleaner than any power conditioner plus the added benefit of a UPS.

You can get 3000VA/2600W (capable of 24 amp load) ones for about 700-800$

Let me point out that the equipment you mentioned adds up to a MAXIMUM consumption of 2400W... That means EVERYTHING running at 100%...

Which btw is completely unrealistic.

So one such UPS is more than enough for that purpose.
suburbancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:06 AM   #11
Jeahvel

Default CyberPower Systems

They make rackmountable UPS's, rackmountable surge protection, etc... Good stuff and affordable. Do some research on them as to how they stack up against Tripp Lite, Monster, APC, and others. Verizon uses CyberPower as their OEM supplier for FiOS battery backups...'nuff said.

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/region-selector.html
Jeahvel is offline   Reply With Quote