Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-24-2021, 07:46 AM   #1
zeekat
Human being with feelings

Default Recorded MIDI controls don't play back(?)

I found a curious little problem while recording a wah-wah guitar bit with a MIDI floor controller. I have my usual template where I use a wah effect inside the "big" POD farm plugin - it's easy, pick the wah type, right click on the effect, "learn", move the pedal and it's mapped. Records and plays with no problem.

There's one thing that sucks though and I just discovered it - if you want to toggle the effect live it makes a dreadful zipper noise. Fortunately there's way around it - POD farm is shipped with "elements", which makes all effects available in separate plugins, elements wah's toggle with no nasty noises. It doesn't have that right click "learn" feature that main plugin has, but no problem, right? Click the Param>FX parameter>Learn, assign the pedal and the stomp switch and everything works like a dream. Tracked the bit aaaand turns out recorded CCs don't work on playback. Everything works correctly while live monitored, all the MIDI data is there but doesn't move anything when listened back.

After inspecting the Param menu I found the MIDI link option and manually linked those CC events to the plugin controls, everything is okay now. But why main POD farm plugin doesn't require me doing it? Maybe there's some option that makes that parameter re-linking automagical?
Old 02-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

Because Learn follows midi on the control path, not track midi. If you wanted to capture that, you’d put that parameter into Write or Latch mode and generate an automation envelope. Link (PM) follows track midi, not the control path. You must have these devices enabled for both input and control. I suggest you pick one and go with it. I personally prefer track midi via Link because it’s discrete and routable rather than global and potentially mapped to a bunch of things you didn’t intend to mess with.

Edit - Oh this is further confused by the fact that many plugs (PodFarm among them) have they’re own built in midi automation system which is often called Learn, but is not Reaper Learn and actually does follow track midi...
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #3
zeekat

So if I decide to stick with recording controls to track MIDI having to map controls twice (controller to plugin and track MIDI to plugin) is normal and kosher way of doing it? Assuming the plugin somehow doesn't do it itself, like POD farm ofc.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

I by would you do it twice? Use Link, not Learn, from the beginning.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
zeekat

Ah right. Thanks for the concise and clear explanation!