Old 02-10-2021, 07:43 AM   #1
helgoboss
Human being with feelings

Default ReaLearn 2 is here

Hey, just wanted to quickly let people in this subforum know that a new major version of ReaLearn has been released. At the moment, ReaLearn's forum thread is in the general discussion forum, but of course it's all about MIDI hardware and since ReaLearn 2 also about control surfaces, therefore the little hint
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
gxray

I appreciated the hour-long introduction video link you quietly introduced in the README in commit last night.

Super comprehensive, learned a ton from it. The demo towards the end with the Novation Launchpad and ReaEQ bands was mindblowing!

Simply amazing, thank you!

---

As a side note, in the WIP user guide you mention how the "auto-load preset by FX" can replace the need for LBX Smart Knob + Faders Script.

Is this accomplished by simply setting up mappings once for each plugin and hitting a "save" button somewhere?
Old 02-10-2021, 02:57 PM   #3
helgoboss

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxray View Post
As a side note, in the WIP user guide you mention how the "auto-load preset by FX" can replace the need for LBX Smart Knob + Faders Script.

Is this accomplished by simply setting up mappings once for each plugin and hitting a "save" button somewhere?
I answered in the main thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....07#post2404307
Old 02-11-2021, 08:23 AM   #4
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Hey, just wanted to quickly let people in this subforum know that a new major version of ReaLearn has been released. At the moment, ReaLearn's forum thread is in the general discussion forum, but of course it's all about MIDI hardware and since ReaLearn 2 also about control surfaces, therefore the little hint
Hello HelgoBoss,

I started watching your tutorial. WOW, this is amazing work you have done. I'm not quite sure I need this at the moment, but nevertheless it is very impressive!

Thanks for sharing.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #5
domzy

thank you!
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:05 PM   #6
Gass n Klang

this comes right on the mark!!! Does it do OSC, too? :P
Old 02-11-2021, 04:23 PM   #7
TonE

Dear Benjamin, thanks for sharing! Did not expect you putting a such long video (did not watch yet, will enjoy now while eating in kitchen
I hope this works much better than first version, especially, after adding lots of controls, will test it extensively after May for sure! Until then, I wish lots of fun to all its users. Just wanted to thank quickly, after seeing how much effort you put in, thanks my friend!
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:48 PM   #8
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Thank you, Helgoboss!
sinkmusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:34 PM   #9
cjewellstudios

Benjamin!

That was a great video!

I came for the Realearn but I stuck around because I was NOT expecting you to throw down! That was some really tasteful playing!

The companion app is great! Really nice work!
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #10
helgoboss

Thanks everyone for the nice words, very motivating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
Soon. It will come as a third source category (Virtual, MIDI, OSC).
Old 02-12-2021, 12:40 PM   #11
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Soon. It will come as a third source category (Virtual, MIDI, OSC).
thanks, that's awesome. I'm building my live setup at the moment. realearn will help A LOT!
Old 02-12-2021, 05:54 PM   #12
TonE

Installed yesterday quickly via Reapack in ubuntu 18.04, wine 32 bit, reaper 32 bit, unfortunately starting just gave an error message. Probably I should post a github issue. Am I the first one testing this combination? Older realearn was working, at least to some degree. I did not +uninstall+ the previous version, I might check if this can cause any problems.

Last edited by TonE; 02-12-2021 at 06:18 PM. Reason: UPDATE: install should be uninstall
Old 02-12-2021, 06:09 PM   #13
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Installed yesterday quickly via Reapack in ubuntu 18.04, wine 32 bit, reaper 32 bit, unfortunately starting just gave an error message. Probably I should post a github issue. Am I the first one testing this combination? Older realearn was working, at least to some degree. I did not install the previous version, I might check if this can cause any problems.
Wine ... Oh, this is something I never tried since ReaLearn runs natively on Linux. Maybe the error message can give a clue.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #14
TonE

Yeah, using with linux reaper is another story, this is only for the windows 32bit, wine variant. For playing around and testing things I am using mostly this.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:16 PM   #15
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
Now it does . Still marked as experimental because until now it's tested (successfully) just by myself. Anyone who wants to give it a go, please let me know how it works for you in the ReaLearn main thread, not here.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:34 AM   #16
Stroudy

Amazing work. Very cool indeed

Is there a way to link Preset NOT by the FX, but by the FX AND loaded preset?

For example, Kontakt will have any number of different assignable parameters, but ReaLearn will only load one, the 'Kontakt.vst" preset.

Here there are 2 instances of kontakt, but each has it's own preset name. Could that name be used by ReaLearn?
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:00 PM   #17
helgoboss

@Stroudy I replied here. Want to keep ReaLearn discussion in one thread.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:24 PM   #18
EskoMastering

This is great! Any plans for Item FX in the works?
EskoMastering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:44 AM   #19
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskoMastering View Post
This is great! Any plans for Item FX in the works?
Planned, yes. But not too soon.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:46 AM   #20
sridhar

Hey great work on the release! I'd been using the 1.12 version until I suddenly realised there's a v2 update. I've been using it with my X-Touch Compact and loving the functionality. Can't wait to dig into the latest version and see what's new. Just wanted to say thanks for the amazing work. It's making the workflow so smooth and enjoyable!

Just wanted to check if there's support for the ARM version of Reaper. It works fine with the Intel version but says the VST is missing on the ARM one. I'm sure maybe it's too early to expect it to work on the silicon but just thought i'd ask. Thanks again for the amazing work!
sridhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:45 AM   #21
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar View Post
Hey great work on the release! I'd been using the 1.12 version until I suddenly realised there's a v2 update. I've been using it with my X-Touch Compact and loving the functionality. Can't wait to dig into the latest version and see what's new. Just wanted to say thanks for the amazing work. It's making the workflow so smooth and enjoyable!

Just wanted to check if there's support for the ARM version of Reaper. It works fine with the Intel version but says the VST is missing on the ARM one. I'm sure maybe it's too early to expect it to work on the silicon but just thought i'd ask. Thanks again for the amazing work!
Thank you! No, there's no Silicon ARM support at the moment. I want to wait with this until the transition will be very easy. I'd rather use my time now to work on new features and improve existing ones. But at some point it will come
Old 03-10-2021, 04:55 AM   #22
sridhar

Quote:
Thank you! No, there's no Silicon ARM support at the moment. I want to wait with this until the transition will be very easy. I'd rather use my time now to work on new features and improve existing ones. But at some point it will come
Ah great. That makes sense. Looking forward to all the new features.

In the meantime, can I bug you with some issues I've been having with Relearn running on Rosetta? Basically it crashes reaper when I load it with my X-Touch Mini connected (I can avoid it by connecting it only after I've loaded the plugin). Maybe it's the preset I made for it on my Windows machine (seems something to do with the transport controls specifically, If i disable that group within the preset then it mostly doesn't crash). I've been using v2.3.2 for now since that doesn't crash. Any version after that has issues with the X-Touch on load. Apart from showing a warning about the preset version at the start I've had no other issues with this version.

I can send you the project and a more detailed explanation if you're free to look into it. No hurry though.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:31 AM   #23
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar View Post
Ah great. That makes sense. Looking forward to all the new features.

In the meantime, can I bug you with some issues I've been having with Relearn running on Rosetta? Basically it crashes reaper when I load it with my X-Touch Mini connected (I can avoid it by connecting it only after I've loaded the plugin). Maybe it's the preset I made for it on my Windows machine (seems something to do with the transport controls specifically, If i disable that group within the preset then it mostly doesn't crash). I've been using v2.3.2 for now since that doesn't crash. Any version after that has issues with the X-Touch on load. Apart from showing a warning about the preset version at the start I've had no other issues with this version.

I can send you the project and a more detailed explanation if you're free to look into it. No hurry though.
Woah, a real crash taking REAPER down? Sure, I want to look into it. Usually ReaLearn just shows error messages instead of crashing if something unexpected happens. I would need the following things sent to info@helgoboss.org or as an issue at GitHub:

- Crash report (the large text that macOS displays)
- The RPP file
- That more detailed explanation
- So the same project loaded on your Windows machine doesn't cause any issues?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #24
sridhar

Quote:
Woah, a real crash taking REAPER down? Sure, I want to look into it. Usually ReaLearn just shows error messages instead of crashing if something unexpected happens. I would need the following things sent to info@helgoboss.org or as an issue at GitHub:

- Crash report (the large text that macOS displays)
- The RPP file
- That more detailed explanation
- So the same project loaded on your Windows machine doesn't cause any issues?

Thanks!
Sure I'll send over the same in a mail soon. I'm not very familiar with Github unfortunately.

Yes, just checked again to be sure. It works fine on the Windows machine with the controller connected, no issues.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:47 AM   #25
sveinpetter

Default Help with Control transformation (EEL) - Apply target interval

Just asking for help.
I use FCB1010 with un02 to send midi to Reaper and into ReaLearn.
Target is Kilohearts Pitch Shifter, and using expression 0-127 to change the pitch.
All is working.
Pitch Shifter goes from -24 to +24 steps, or semitones.Two octaves down, two octaves up.
ReaLearn: Target Min: 25 and Target Max 75 gives one octave down and up.

But, when using midi (0-127), it shifts in very small steps, for every 0,1,2,3,4, -125,126,127. ( or 25 to 75)
I have tested manually what interval-values from 25 to 75 ( or from 0 to 127) that gives the steps in semitones.
How to use EEL to apply target interval?
And so far, I have just a few minutes with EEL / JSFX …
sveinpetter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:06 AM   #26
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinpetter View Post
Just asking for help.
I use FCB1010 with un02 to send midi to Reaper and into ReaLearn.
Target is Kilohearts Pitch Shifter, and using expression 0-127 to change the pitch.
All is working.
Pitch Shifter goes from -24 to +24 steps, or semitones.Two octaves down, two octaves up.
ReaLearn: Target Min: 25 and Target Max 75 gives one octave down and up.

But, when using midi (0-127), it shifts in very small steps, for every 0,1,2,3,4, -125,126,127. ( or 25 to 75)
I have tested manually what interval-values from 25 to 75 ( or from 0 to 127) that gives the steps in semitones.
How to use EEL to apply target interval?
And so far, I have just a few minutes with EEL / JSFX …
Maybe you don't need EEL for what you are doing. Do you use the expression pedal or the switches (with "Incremental buttons" mode)? You could also paste the output of "Export to clipboard" here so that I know your
settings exactly.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:49 AM   #27
sveinpetter

Quote:
Maybe you don't need EEL for what you are doing. Do you use the expression pedal or the switches (with "Incremental buttons" mode)? You could also paste the output of "Export to clipboard" here so that I know your
settings exactly.
I use expression pedal. To have fun with pitch when playing guitar (S-Gear2 by Scuffham).
Old 03-12-2021, 05:03 AM   #28
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinpetter View Post
I use expression pedal. To have fun with pitch when playing guitar (S-Gear2 by Scuffham).
Okay. I need that "Export to clipboard" result or the RPP sent to info@helgoboss.org.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:12 PM   #29
sveinpetter

Default Thank you

I got help from helgoboss.
"Ah, I think what you want is "rounding". Please try this EEL:
max = 24; y = floor(x * max) / max;"

Now I get clean semitones from Kilohearts Pitch Shifter using expression 0-127.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:42 PM   #30
tdc

Incredible work Helgoboss!

Very impressive and I can see this becoming an essential tool for my Reaper work.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:03 AM   #31
dna598

I just ordered a Behringer X touch mini. Thank you in advance for all the fun I'm about to have. You Genius.
dna598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #32
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Incredible work Helgoboss!

Very impressive and I can see this becoming an essential tool for my Reaper work.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna598 View Post
I just ordered a Behringer X touch mini. Thank you in advance for all the fun I'm about to have. You Genius.
Just saw that you posted a question on YouTube but then couldn't find it anymore. It was about issues making ReaLearn work with LBX Smart knobs/faderbox32. Maybe you have found out yourself in the meantime, but adding LBX Smart Knobs to the mix is not necessary anymore. ReaLearn 2 has "Auto-load preset". This also has the advantage over the Smart Knobs approach that relative control, avoiding parameter jumps etc. works correctly.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:22 AM   #33
brk303

Thanks for the great tool.

I do have a question though.
I want to control several plugins on a single track (chorus, flanger, delay, etc).
I'd like to make presets in ReaLearn which enable certain combination of effects and disables the rest.
Enable/Disable has to be done with bypass of the plugin (to not use CPU).

I know how to make mapping for a single plugin, but how to have multiple targets ?

If I make a separate mapping for each destination then it grows quickly.
Having say CC 100 turn on flanger, then I need 9 more mappings for CC 100 for each target plugin, to disable them all ?

Any ideas to better handle this are welcome.
brk303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:53 AM   #34
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk303 View Post
Thanks for the great tool.

I do have a question though.
I want to control several plugins on a single track (chorus, flanger, delay, etc).
I'd like to make presets in ReaLearn which enable certain combination of effects and disables the rest.
Enable/Disable has to be done with bypass of the plugin (to not use CPU).

I know how to make mapping for a single plugin, but how to have multiple targets ?

If I make a separate mapping for each destination then it grows quickly.
Having say CC 100 turn on flanger, then I need 9 more mappings for CC 100 for each target plugin, to disable them all ?

Any ideas to better handle this are welcome.
As for enabling/disabling multiple FX in one go, there are several ways:

a) Use the "FX: Enable/disable" target with the "All by name" selector and then use wildcards (*) to match the names of multiple FX instances. For this to work you need to name your FX instances accordingly.

b) Use the "FX: Enable/disable" target with the "Exclusive" option. But this would only work if you want to always enable only one of the plug-ins in the chain, not multiple. And right now I'm not even sure if I implemented "Exclusive" for that target. If not, a similar thing would be to create one mapping per FX instance and then use Group Interaction style exclusivity.

As for enabling/disabling multiple FX mappings in one go, there are multiple options as well:

a) Put all mappings for a specific FX in one instance. Then just enable/disable that complete instance. The advantage of having multiple ReaLearn instances is that you cleanly separate the mappings for the different FX types, which provides the highest amount of reusability.

b) Assign all mappings for a specific FX a specific tag and then use "ReaLearn: Enable/disable mappings" with providing that tag. This is only available in current pre-releases.

There are even more options, e.g. using groups in combination with conditional activation, but in your case I wouldn't suggest this.

As a completely different alternative, you could just continue having loads of specific mappings but instead of creating them by hand, you could use ReaLearn Script to generate them (available in latest pre-relases).

So all of these are ways you can use today to achieve your goal. In short-term future I plan to implement two features which would make your scenario achievable more elegantly:

1. Conditional activation based on the value of a target. That way you could tell ReaLearn to automatically enable certain mappings if and only if a specific FX is enabled. That would be super elegant in your case and be very practical.

2. Improve the "ReaLearn: Load mapping snapshot" target so you can take custom snapshots and restore them. That would greatly simplify your challenge to enable/disable very specific sets of FX instances in one go.
Old 12-24-2021, 09:35 AM   #35
JLP

Hello Helgoboss !
I’m trying Realearn to create a nice mixing remote workflow, so far I’m really impressed !
I’m dealing with an issue with control transformation. For exemple, I’d like to control the threshold. If I use a linear curve, it does not give enough precision to work with. So I set up a custom curve using eel. Works much better, but then the feedback is wrong and I get jumps when switching from one instance to another.
For info, I’m using a dj techtool. midi twister. Do you have any advice to solve that ? Thanks !
JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #36
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Hello Helgoboss !
I’m trying Realearn to create a nice mixing remote workflow, so far I’m really impressed !
I’m dealing with an issue with control transformation. For exemple, I’d like to control the threshold. If I use a linear curve, it does not give enough precision to work with. So I set up a custom curve using eel. Works much better, but then the feedback is wrong and I get jumps when switching from one instance to another.
For info, I’m using a dj techtool. midi twister. Do you have any advice to solve that ? Thanks !
If you want the feedback to reflect the exact curve as well, you'll need to enter the reverse formula in the feedback transformation.

If you want to prevent jumps when using one control to switch between different targets, you'll need to set "Jump Max" to a pretty small value and decide for one of the takeover modes.

It's not immediately clear to me from your description which of both you desire. Maybe one of them, maybe both.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:43 AM   #37
funkster1

Hey Benjamin,

Even though I haven't had a lot of time to poke around with ReaLearn yet,
it seems such an incredibly useful tool to have if you have one or more
MIDI controllers (I do have 4).

Thank you very much for this ongoing effort. Donation sent

Raphael
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:02 AM   #38
brk303

Would it be possible to set FX param in relation to BPM ?
I'd like to set say release of a compressor to be in musical relation to BPM.
Could this be accomplished with transformation EEL ?
Or perhaps project BPM could be another source type ?

Last edited by brk303; 01-06-2022 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:13 PM   #39
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1 View Post
Hey Benjamin,

Even though I haven't had a lot of time to poke around with ReaLearn yet,
it seems such an incredibly useful tool to have if you have one or more
MIDI controllers (I do have 4).

Thank you very much for this ongoing effort. Donation sent

Raphael
Thank you

Quote:
Would it be possible to set FX param in relation to BPM ?
I'd like to set say release of a compressor to be in musical relation to BPM.
Could this be accomplished with transformation EEL ?
Just in relation to the current BPM or also in relation to the incoming control value (e.g. a fader position)? I assume the latter.

I think the cleanest and most sustainable way to achieve this is to write a small ReaScript which takes the incoming control value via get_action_context() and sets the parameter itself via ReaScript functions. It can access the BPM to calculate the final value. ReaLearn's "Project: Invoke REAPER action" target passes the control value to the action if you choose "Invoke absolute".

With control transformation it's not possible at the moment. In theory, I could make a BPM variable or function available in the control transformation field but I think this doesn't scale ... users would request more and more variables and I would be busy rebuilding ReaScript

Another thing to be aware of: None of these approaches would automagically change the FX param in response to BPM changes. Only in response to incoming control messages. However, I think even this could be tackled with a deferred ReaScript.

Quote:
Or perhaps project BPM could be another source type ?
If I would implement this, I would do it in a more generic way: Making the target of a mapping A available as source in a mapping B. It's a bit too powerful maybe as it can lead to cycles.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:47 PM   #40
brk303

Regarding the BPM sync, I wrote a small script that stores BPM in Slider1 and when BPM changes it sends MIDI message with BPM as parameter.
That part works, MIDI message is sent for every project BPM change.

Then the problem is how to transform it to say ReaComp release param correctly.

ReaComp release is defined with range of 0 to 5000, so 100% = 5000ms, so I need a way to convert from BPM to Reaper Release value.
Transformation (EEL) sounds like it could help, but not quite sure how to use it.

And, btw, thanks for your help.