Old 05-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #161
Kundalinguist
Human being with feelings

I use keyboard shortcuts for much of my work in Reaper. But when going to the menus, what I like is that this system gives me an instant bearing; a sense of direction relative to the task that I have in mind. Subsequently, I don't mind that they are nested menus when I only use them to find something. Doing so is now that much quicker. And again, the aesthetic is valuable, too.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #162
Thuneau

I just wanted to say "Great Job". These menus are making Reaper a little easier to use and give it a more polished/pro look.
+1 on making them the default set in the next major version.
Thuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #163
musicroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Attached is ReaMenus #003.zip (18.4 KB) for those with issues.

Thank you for adding this attachment "003". I am trying to download 004 and I am still getting version 002. ????

Can someone help?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #164
musicroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicroom View Post
Thank you for adding this attachment "003". I am trying to download 004 and I am still getting version 002. ????

Can someone help?

Thanks

Never mind - I downloaded the file fine using another browser. Some reason, Chrome was downloading 002 no matter what.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #165
liteon

just realized i don't know know how to change the menus...
but nicely done!.. :-)

here are some notes (ReaMenus #004):
- i think the "disabled text" entries above a menu section can be bit confusing. i guess since none of the software that i've seen/used have such (e.g. photoshop, flash, corel, ms office etc)
- cannot find the theme change entry in the options menu. might have missed that.
- file menu "open project template" has also an entry "save project template"
- the edit menu should include the take, group, item processing actions as well imo

---
liteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #166
Mike21

Default Great job on the menus, folks!

Turned a rather cumbersome set of menus into something a lot more intuitive and user friendly. I'm a relative newcomer to Reaper and DAWs in general but the menu strudture was one of the primary "ughs". I agree, this should be incorporated as the default, or at least a built-in choice for newbies like myself.

Thanks again, great work!
Mike21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #167
bobby yarrow

This is very nice work, thank you!

Meanwhile, the change in the main tool bar includes 2 icons that are a mystery to me, "full view" and "bus view" if I remember right. They don't seem to do anything in my projects. What's the feature that I'm not using?
bobby yarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #168
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby yarrow View Post
This is very nice work, thank you!

Meanwhile, the change in the main tool bar includes 2 icons that are a mystery to me, "full view" and "bus view" if I remember right. They don't seem to do anything in my projects. What's the feature that I'm not using?
The Main toolbar was an accident in the previous version of ReaMenus (#003). You can restore it to the default or customize it as you see fit. I'm sorry very about that!
Old 05-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #169
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by liteon View Post
- i think the "disabled text" entries above a menu section can be bit confusing. i guess since none of the software that i've seen/used have such (e.g. photoshop, flash, corel, ms office etc)
FL Studio employs this feature. The reason to have them on the top is that even the items on the top of them menu need to be organized.

Of course, on this and anything else, if more voices call for change, I'll change it. Perhaps it will only take a little while for you to warm up to them.

Quote:
- cannot find the theme change entry in the options menu. might have missed that.
Options->Display->Themes

That's one triple-deep set that I am most definitely not happy with. I'm still waiting on some more votes about the placement of options -- if they should be only in the context menus to which they apply, then the Options menu will be freed up and I can break the Display sub-menu open. On the other hand, how often do you change REAPER's display settings? Themers don't even use that them menu when it's so easy to ctrl+shift+PgDn

Quote:
- file menu "open project template" has also an entry "save project template"
The same thing with Insert->Track from template->Save track template...

The conundrum left me feeling like it was probably better to keep the template functions together than to split them up. Remember that those handy menus also list the templates (in most places--reaper problem with their generative lists).

Again, if some more people don't find this way more intuitive, we'll keep it this way. I'm inclined to join with the community preference.

Quote:
- the edit menu should include the take, group, item processing actions as well imo
I've never found my mouse far from a track when I was editing a track, far from an item/take when I was editing an item/take, or far from whatever was being grouped. One of the main philosophies of ReaMenus is to bring as much into the context menus as possible, so that you rarely ever have to go to the main menus. After all, that isn't where the action is.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #170
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stop Continues View Post
FL Studio employs this feature. The reason to have them on the top is that even the items on the top of them menu need to be organized.

Of course, on this and anything else, if more voices call for change, I'll change it. Perhaps it will only take a little while for you to warm up to them.
I agree with the idea to remove the labels personally. All the related functions being grouped together is enough to make it obvious what is going on in that area of the menu. The greyed out labels do throw me off quite a bit and make me think there is some disabled option or something at first glance, they also add a significant amount of length to the menus.

Quote:
The same thing with Insert->Track from template->Save track template...

The conundrum left me feeling like it was probably better to keep the template functions together than to split them up. Remember that those handy menus also list the templates (in most places--reaper problem with their generative lists).

Again, if some more people don't find this way more intuitive, we'll keep it this way. I'm inclined to join with the community preference.
I agree with removing them if possible, however in my tests it can't be done. As soon as you remove that option from the submenu, the submenu no longer actually displays the list of project templates :/
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #171
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
I agree with the idea to remove the labels personally. All the related functions being grouped together is enough to make it obvious what is going on in that area of the menu. The greyed out labels do throw me off quite a bit and make me think there is some disabled option or something at first glance, they also add a significant amount of length to the menus.
I infer that you mean all the labels, not just the top ones, right?

Is there anyone who specifically wants the LABELS? If not, there will be no gray labels in #005.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #172
jazzmandan

Quote:

Is there anyone who specifically wants the LABELS? If not, there will be no gray labels in #005.
I like em, keeps things organized, which is really the overall objective, right?
"significantly better than bad..." - Dell XPS i7, 16G Ram, Win 10 64Bit, REAPER 64Bit, MOTU Audio Express, PG Music - BIAB 2020, Kontakt 5, more VSTs than I know what to do with. Will trade all to play the guitar and keys better!
jazzmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #173
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:

Personally I like them, I think they add clarity to the menus and help act as a sort of roadmap.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #174
AdamWathan

Here's a version with no labels in just the top menus because I couldn't be bother to do all of them... Test the waters with it, I think even the guys who like the labels are going to find they can navigate just fine without them and that the organization is implied just fine without them.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3616293/ReaM....ReaperMenuSet
Old 05-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #175
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Personally I like them, I think they add clarity to the menus and help act as a sort of roadmap.
I like them as well, but i'm not 100% in love with them. i think if they weren't capitalized then they'd have to go, it's a shame that they must be the same color as disabled text. I do find it annoying how much they look like disabled text, but i'd rather have them in than out.

on another note...

one thing i noticed was in the file menu the 'save project as template' option was hidden inside of the 'open project template' folder. which is confusing, and took me a little to find. i find it is better suited at the bottom of the 'save...' section.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #176
Sound asleep

Quote:
Here's a version with no labels in just the top menus because I couldn't be bother to do all of them... Test the waters with it, I think even the guys who like the labels are going to find they can navigate just fine without them and that the organization is implied just fine without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
I like them as well, but i'm not 100% in love with them. i think if they weren't capitalized then they'd have to go, it's a shame that they must be the same color as disabled text. I do find it annoying how much they look like disabled text, but i'd rather have them in than out.

on another note...

one thing i noticed was in the file menu the 'save project as template' option was hidden inside of the 'open project template' folder. which is confusing, and took me a little to find. i find it is better suited at the bottom of the 'save...' section.
I stand corrected, upon trying the version without labels, i prefer the menus with the labels omitted i think. it's cleaner, the menus are shorter, and the divider lines i find are sufficient to categorize stuff. especially as you get to know the menus and know where to expect stuff. plus you don't get any disabled text confusion.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #177
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:

Thanks for this Adam. I find that even without the labels these menus are still better than the standard REAPER ones ... but still prefer them with labels for the clarity and understanding they bring.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #178
BenK-msx

Quote:

personally i like the labels in most places but maybe the ones in file and edit main menu are not that necessary and couple of others could be dropped but overall i think for a newcomer they help alot and for an oldy don't irritate or slow you down, so best keep em?

and also is there a consensus on whether the extension stuff should be integrated to rest of menus instead of/as well as being in its own extension menu?
Old 05-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #179
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
and also is there a consensus on whether the extension stuff should be integrated to rest of menus instead of/as well as being in its own extension menu?
Interesting question.

As far as functionality is concerned, it makes perfect sense to integrate them ... but as long as the SWS, S&M, etc. extensions have their own identity and are distributed as a separate entity from REAPER, financed separately by donations, etc. there could perhaps be issues with that.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #180
Sound asleep

Quote:
Interesting question.

As far as functionality is concerned, it makes perfect sense to integrate them ... but as long as the SWS, S&M, etc. extensions have their own identity and are distributed as a separate entity from REAPER, financed separately by donations, etc. there could perhaps be issues with that.
ya, i think it would be cool, but maybe we shouldn't do that, particularly if it's going to be packaged with reaper.

maybe we'll need to have two sets of menus one with and one without headings. i think once all the kinks are out, i'm going to make a headingless menu piece by piece over time. or if someone else does, i'll love you forever and ever.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #181
BenK-msx

Quote:
Interesting question.

i think the case for (yet another) optional set with integrated extension stuff would be the logical answer. if a little 'bitty'.

it could be bundled with the extensions by the extension people (e.g."you've got the actions now get the menus!!")
i'd guess to integrate the extension actions to what mike has done here is not so hard, and would be pretty easy to then update either by the extension guys or their enthusiastic forum worker monkeys.

given that reamenus is a seperate entity which 'requires' the extensions at the mo i don't think its problematic. if it were to 'go native' then thats another tale
Old 05-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #182
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
maybe we'll need to have two sets of menus one with and one without headings.
That suggestion makes perfect sense to me.

Mike, can I suggest that if you leave the headers in for now, when you get this to a stage where any kinks are ironed out and you're ready to go with "the real deal", then someone could go through it and produce a headingless (new word ) version.

If you don't get any other volunteers, I'd be more than happy to do that.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #183
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Interesting question.

Much of the SWS functionality is already spread throughout the SWS menus. If it came down to ReaMenus being put into the core, I would definitely pull all the SWS stuff out.

As far as integrating the entire extensions menu into the other menus, it CAN be done. On the question of should it be done (some of that stuff is pretty esoteric), we'd need some more votes.

The thing is, I can't actually REMOVE that menu, nor the 100% redundant Insert menu (every function is a duplicate). I could only empty it.

As far as the LABELS, so far we have 3 votes for and 3 votes against by my count.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #184
BenK-msx

perhaps the more obvious extension options could be integrated,e.g im looking at all the 'items' related stuff and thinking that could just go in the item context (maybe in its own 'extension' submenu to differentiate from native options?)- leaving the more wacky in the space left in the extension menu.

i know its a call on what the majority figure is best - but thats my thought
Old 05-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #185
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
As far as the LABELS, so far we have 3 votes for and 3 votes against by my count.
... and I suspect that whatever comes out of this thread will reflect the opinions mostly of hard core REAPER tragics (like me ) rather than the broad user base, most of whom don't spend time hanging around forums.

That's what makes the two menu solution so appealing ... I suspect that the majority in this thread will probably come out in favor of no text, whereas more occasional users (who aren't even aware of this debate) would probably prefer the text.

Like I say, if it helps, when you're nearly ready to go "live" I'd be more than happy to spend the time editing out the text headers for you, so that you can present to the world a "standard" and "streamlined" version (or whatever you care to call them) ...
Old 05-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #186
JHughes
Banned

I say leave the labels, as removing them is a possible optimization best saved for last. If they were narrower they could take up much less room, and if they were a different color it might help. I suppose that's a feature request.

But removing them now before everything else has been fleshed out is a rush to judgment and puts the cart before the horse IMO. There is plenty of room now, it's not like there is overcrowding and room needs to be freed. That after all was the very first problem you solved!

You have to be careful because I think some of these suggestions if implemented (like removing submenus) leads you right back to the original menuing system. A good point was made earlier that hotkeys are the solution to submenus. I'm no power user but the submenus have not yet served as an impediment to me. And the labels clarify things and are very logical, which frees my brain from stress.

The best solution then has already been mentioned, to have a choice of menus with and without labels, but I don't see all this as Mike Stop's responsibility. He will have his hands full keeping up with new menu items with every revision.

If you build it, they will come, and then complain about it. lol
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #187
AdamWathan

I'm going to edit out the rest of the labels when I have time just for my own use, I'm happy to post it when it's done for anyone who would prefer it labelless.

I do agree though that while on development it definitely doesn't hurt to leave them there while everything gets finalized, and it definitely will help new users.

What might be really neat is just a general preference in Reaper for "display labels in menus" that could e checked or unchecked based on preference. We'd only need one menu set then

Idea for the redundant "insert" menu, why not retitle it and bring some somehow related functions out of the other menus to put there instead?
Old 05-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #188
JHughes
Banned

Quote:
I'm going to edit out the rest of the labels when I have time just for my own use, I'm happy to post it when it's done for anyone who would prefer it labelless.
You and nicholas can race!

Quote:
What might be really neat is just a general preference in Reaper for "display labels in menus" that could be checked or unchecked based on preference. We'd only need one menu set then
That's a perfect idea!
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #189
musicroom

Mike - again thank you! I already really liked Reaper on its' own, then added SWS extensions (very cool) and now these improved menus - wow! Makes for a very strong DAW workflow!! I feel like I am discovering new features - ok I am discovering new features which leads me to this:

What are "Window Sets" "Track Sets" and "Arrange Views"???

I know what Screen Sets and Snapshots are... but...

I searched the Reaper and SWS manual and didn't find reference to these.

Thanks to anyone that answers this.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #190
tonecarver

Quote:

I like the labels too. I vote to keep them in.
tonecarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #191
vicenzajay

Default I also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmandan View Post
I like em, keeps things organized, which is really the overall objective, right?
Like them....they help set off each category nicely
vicenzajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #192
musicroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonecarver View Post
I like the labels too. I vote to keep them in.
+1 for labels.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #193
Sound asleep

if the insert menu is redundant and renamable then that idea previously mentioned to edit the name and fill it with something else sounds pretty good. the question is, what? maybe another menu that can be removed?

also,

I mentioned it once before, but then thought i was mistaken, but i wasn't...

ya, when you right click a track in mixer view there used to be a 'bypass FX chain' option which was checkmarked, so you could quickly bypass and unbypass the chain, and this was the real bypass that removes the stuff from cpu drain, so i found it very useful.

anyways it's not there anymore, there is a bypass fx chain 'one way' button in the bottom folder but the toggle option is missing.

so, that and the save as template being in open template drop down folder rather than with other save options are the only issues i've come across so far.

I like how the menus are also distributed separately. maybe we could split the work of making the headingless version.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 05-29-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #194
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicroom View Post
What are "Window Sets" "Track Sets" and "Arrange Views"???
I believe that "Windows Sets" and "Track Sets" most likely refer to the two types of Snapshots - Track View snapshots (per project) and Windows Snapshots (global).

The term "track sets" is sometimes anbiguously used to refer to "visibility snapshots" - track layout selections that can be saved and recalled in the SWS Track Manager and Snapshot Manager.

Arrange View is a term that basically refers to REAPER's main view .

Old 05-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #195
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
You and nicholas can race!
Nay, I'm more than happy to leave this one in Adam's capable hands.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #196
musicroom

Quote:
I believe that "Windows Sets" and "Track Sets" most likely refer to the two types of Snapshots - Track View snapshots (per project) and Windows Snapshots (global).

The term "track sets" is sometimes anbiguously used to refer to "visibility snapshots" - track layout selections that can be saved and recalled in the SWS Track Manager and Snapshot Manager.

Arrange View is a term that basically refers to REAPER's main view .

Thank you my friend!!!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #197
nicholas
Scribe

Just one more small thing ...

The envelopes context menu seems to be missing the toggle command to show envelope in lane, also to hide envelope.

Don't know about anybody else, but I use these all the time, especially show in lane.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #198
vicenzajay

Default Yep....

Quote:
Just one more small thing ...

The envelopes context menu seems to be missing the toggle command to show envelope in lane, also to hide envelope.

Don't know about anybody else, but I use these all the time, especially show in lane.
This is extremely important to me as well...
vicenzajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #199
EvilDragon

I say make two versions, one with and one without the labels. And it might be a good idea to lowercase them, to comply to "Custom Actions:" in the Actions menu. Yeah, all labels should be formatted like "Label:"

BTW, #004, you still have Auto-Color in media item and MCP context Also, one more thing: in MIDI editor menus, "sysex" should be "SysEx", to hint that it's short from "System Exclusive"

Also, I like the idea of separation of Save/Load type of actions to next sub-level. You could do the same with Selected items.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-30-2010 at 12:58 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:40 AM   #200
technogremlin

Maybe a few ideas to have the labels stand out more as a 'label':

[LABEL]

--- LABEL ---

:: LABEL ::

Or maybe a combination:

--[ Label ]--

I like the one with the double colon best, looks clean but certainly not as a menu entry. I'm using that one for my own menu set
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote