Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-24-2021, 08:50 AM   #1
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

Default how to: best way of switching/choosing your takes on a recorded track

Hi!

I am not looking for feature requests or suggestions on the program here, but a way to see how all of you are, with the current reaper featureset -

(if it's a dev feature make that clear, or I think probably don't talk about it? Not sure)

how you go through takes and choose the best one, your workflow.

Right now I have loop selections over phrases, and I just click on the one I want to hear, and then listen to it, and then go to the next.

Problems:

its a bit tedious having to click each one, I would imagine a keyboard shortcut would be better. What about some kind of take carousel? Is there a way to (currently) automate the selection of take?

Take marking or ranking: There's no way to do this yet, right? Like make it so you PICK a take and it goes to the top?

what are your shortcuts and tricks for comping?

thanks
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
Fabian

By default T and Shift+T are tied to "Next take" and "Previous take", respectively. So just select the item with the takes and hit T or Shift+T. And it cycles around, hitting T with the last take active activates the first take.

You know that you can search the action list, right? It works very well, just search for "next take" and there you have it.

As for marking takes good, bad, intermediate... I use colors for that, using "SWS: Set selected take(s) to custom color 1", "SWS: Set selected take(s) to custom color 2" etc. But there are also native actions like "Take: Set active take to one random color" etc. Just search for "take color".
Old 07-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
bolgwrad

I use 'free item positioning' mode, which means all takes play (though not while recording). Trick is to have a shortcut for the 'mute item under mouse' action, and overlap the edges of each take. With all takes but one muted to start with, you can toggle mute on two adjacent takes by using the shortcut at the overlap.

I've bubble-sorted quite a few comps this way.