Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
cornfarmer
Human being with feelings

Default Has something changed with Win 10? Help w/ drop outs on 3 diff USB interaces, etc.

A few months ago, my USB interface started acting up - I thought the hardware was giving up the ghost finally (it had a rough life, see below), was discontinued, plus there were no Win 10 drivers for it. So I invested in a new USB front end, got some evil dropouts with that one too. I'm on my 3rd USB interface now, getting the same severe dropouts, and I am thinking either there was something new added to Win 10 in an update(???) or my laptop/OS might be causing trouble.

Firstly, I am experienced with DAW's so I know how to tweak all the things in Windows OS's and whatnot. Been using Reaper professionally forever now.

Some history:

The first interface that this all started with was a Lexicon I-ONIX U82S. I scored this used for $30 and it was beat up, and I was using the wrong power supply for it, unbeknownst to me (I eventually got the proper power supply from Lexicon). I recorded a TON of music with this on my previous Win 7 laptop, and my current laptop running Win 10. It ran like a champ under Win 7 and even though the hardware was discontinued by Lexicon, the drivers worked fine on my next laptop running Win 10 for quite a while. A few months back, playback started glitching and dropping out, with Reaper and any other software. I thought that the rough life it had previous to me and running the wrong power supply were the culprit, and it was on it's last legs - I put it on the shelf and bought a....

Tascam US-16x08. After setting this up, I experienced dropouts/glitches every so often, no matter what settings/latency it was set at. I did some googling on this interface and read about some problems people were having with the drivers regarding latency. Other people found that the thing was drifting out of sync pretty bad. So disheartened, I sold the Tascam (at a slight loss), and then bought a....

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. I thought for sure this thing was going to be rock fucking solid. I've had it about a week and it's been acting about the same. I might still need to spend some more time with it on Reaper, but I have experienced similar dropouts/glitching. Sometimes it just completely stops, and Reaper keeps scrolling, the meters are lit up and keep moving as if everything is cool. When running other programs audio through it has been problematic too, i.e Media Monkey has dropouts and stops playing as well.

I plugged the Lexicon above into a very decent Win 7 machine recently and experienced zero issues. I think a reformat back down to Win 7 might be one avenue.

So that's 3 interfaces that are crapping out. I'm suspicious of the laptop, Win 10 and now I'm even paranoid about the power/wiring in the room. Is there something new in Reaper I should verify? I am on 5.70.

Any help would be appreciated.
cornfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Stella645

Power settings on high power?
USB selective suspend disabled?
USB hub power management untick "allow computer to turn off this device"?
What does LatencyMon report?
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #3
cornfarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Power settings on high power?
USB selective suspend disabled?
USB hub power management untick "allow computer to turn off this device"?
What does LatencyMon report?
Yes to all that. Here's some screen grabs from LatencyMon. One during normal time, once seemingly after a drop out.

Looks like the Realtek HD is doing something? Weird, because I've never had a problem with it in the past, it's co-existed peacefully with ASIO stuff in the past.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lm01.jpg (52.4 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg lm02.jpg (62.2 KB, 174 views)
Old 01-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
cornfarmer

I may have spoke to soon. I ran LatencyMon again and it came up with Wdf01000.sys - which seems to get a lot of hits on google.........

I disabled the HD Audio Controller and ACPI in the system menu, still looks like Wdf01000.sys is coming up when it happens.

Two others came up while the Focusrite was off: USBPORT.sys and NDIS.sys

Problem still occurs.

Last edited by cornfarmer; 01-14-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
Stella645

Can you screencap the drivers tab of LatencyMon with highest execution at top and ordered by that column.

When wdfsys is highest execution you need to look at the other drivers for an actual cause ime.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #6
cornfarmer

Here you go. This is the list after leaving the laptop on for a few hours, everything on, everything set to not sleep, optimized, etc. with the Focusrite off.

Early to mid 2017 I never had problems like this on the very same laptop with the Lexicon I-ONIX.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lm03.jpg (62.8 KB, 193 views)
Old 01-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfarmer View Post
Here you go. This is the list after leaving the laptop on for a few hours, everything on, everything set to not sleep, optimized, etc. with the Focusrite off.

Early to mid 2017 I never had problems like this on the very same laptop with the Lexicon I-ONIX.
Based on that screen shot, see what happens if you disable your network card.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:16 AM   #8
Stella645

Maybe try to download a new driver for your network card.....get it from manufacturer site rather than let Windows update it.

Also if you let Nvidia driver install as default or are allowing Win to update device drivers with updates (not recommended), download the latest version, uninstall completely and then use a custom install and untick everything except the driver itself.

And while you're at it I would update the Realtek driver although it's not listed in this particular test.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
cornfarmer

My wifi driver was totally out of date, after updating it, there was no difference. I tried both disabling the HD audio controller, and alternatively updating the Realtek drivers as well, there was no difference.

I am kind of confused, as to why Win 10 or my laptop (that has plenty of horsepower) is acting up at all, period. Nothing has changed unless there was something in a Windows update that screwed everything up. I've had this rig only 2 years or so, and it's been recording lots and lots of music up until it started displaying this behavior mid to late 2017.

At this point, I'm going to try rolling back to Win 8.1 as I have a disc for it, and failing that, go back to Win 7.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #10
karbomusic

Did you actually disable the wireless as a test as I suggested? I'm not sure by how the reply is worded.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
cornfarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Did you actually disable the wireless as a test as I suggested? I'm not sure by how the reply is worded.
Yes, I tried this. ndis.sys and wdf01000.sys still spike and make the same thing happen.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #12
cornfarmer

For anyone who's still playing along at home, here's an update.

Instead of going full nuclear, I went only half nuke - I flashed the laptop (Gigabyte P35x) to a newer BIOS, and reformatted and reinstalled Win 10. I let Windows install its updates, and I only installed the necessary drivers I needed from either Gigabyte or the hardware manufacturer itself.

I plugged in my old interface, the Lexicon I-Onix posted above. 3 out of 4 (total) of my USB ports are suspicious. The dropouts - i.e. playback stopping completely or glitching/popping - occurred on all of them expect one of the 3.0 ports. I've been playing audio through the Lexicon on this one 3.0 USB port for a few hours now and so far it seems ok.

I did not manually update the USB drivers myself (yet). The 2.0 ports seem to be using drivers from 2006, the 3.0 ports drivers seem to be from Oct & Dec 2017 (these probably were updated by a Windows update). I'm going to some more testing to see if it's the hardware/USB port issue.

Last edited by cornfarmer; 01-17-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:14 AM   #13
cjewellstudios

I'm playing along at home so please keep updating.

I've had weird issues for a few months now too. I also suspect it was the creator's update. I am in the middle of a project but once that's done I have a system image of a previous build I am going to go back to and see how that works. But yeah please keep this post updated with your findings because something is definitely up.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #14
dug dog

I think it's good to keep threads like this up-dated as others may have the same problem down the road.

Good luck!
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #15
cornfarmer

Somebody on another forum reminded me of this thread I created, here's a necro post update.

IIRC, I looked around for people with the same Gigabyte laptop who might be having similar problems with the USB ports. I found quite a few folks having some sort of problem with the ports or another piece of hardware, so I quickly sold the thing. The laptop was the problem all along.

I inherited my old DAW from work running Win 7 and everything is back to f'ing normal.