Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #81
Jeffos
Mortal

Not sure I follow everthing but as far as I understand you have 2 MIDI input ports (?) In this case, you just need to disable "control" for both in the prefs and, either merge those 2 inputs to MIDItoReaControlPath (e.g. via track routing), or 2 different tracks with the plug on each. Otherwise.. dunno.. I can just say MIDItoReaControlPath does the job!
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #82
Mort
Human being with feelings

It does, that's a certainty for me too as I got it to work. My only headache now is to find the best way of setting up my inputs for maximum efficiency. The thing is, I don't like using port 1 for midi learn controls. For some reason, it seems like using midi learn on a port 1 control will eat up all the channels, whereas if I use port 2, then I get to split at channel level, so I can control 16 parameters with 1 cc number, as opposed to using up one cc for each parameter I control. To be honest it gets so confusing between multiple ports, multiple channels, midi input channel splitting and each VST reacting differently that I sometimes wonder if I understand any of it. But thanks a lot anyway, it's just a config question now.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #83
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang View Post
and there is one enhancement i'd really like to see: afaik, Param > Learn does not handle any high resolution MIDI controls other than pitch bend.

i've tried learning MSB/LSB controls and it doesn't seem to work. because Reaper's automation system seems to merge all MIDI control input devices, this means at most 16 hires pitch bend controls are possible with Param > Learn. do i have this right? if so, is there any way for MIDItoReaControlPath to address this limitation?
No, param learn does not allow pitchbend at all! Only notes and cc, but no pitchbend. Or am I wrong? The last time I tried to map pitchbend it did not work.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
No, param learn does not allow pitchbend at all! Only notes and cc, but no pitchbend. Or am I wrong? The last time I tried to map pitchbend it did not work.
No, you're not wrong, that's not supported yet. The corresponding FR can be found here - please vote if you haven't yet!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #85
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
I had not voted yet, so I voted, without reading anything. What was requested by Banned can not be bad.

Your OSC, send control examples I tried one day ago or so, it worked. Thanks for it. I could try this also years ago, because I had not to do anything except running your .pd and .ReaOSC file in Reaper. pd-extended was already installed on my computer for a long time. I thought there is a more complicated setup necessary?

Somehow I could also see, sometimes those "send sliders inside Reaper" did not move, but the sound was changing correctly and so on... interesting, probably this was not tested much yet.
You're welcome - and thanks for the vote, and the 'blind confidence' in my FRs yourself. I'm glad you found it easy enough to set up. I hope you'll manage to hack it into something (more) useful for your purposes.

I guess not always seeing the sliders moving (which I've noticed as well) is related to REAPER's lazy GUI updating, and that OSC commands take priority over the GUI, like audio and MIDI.

For high responsiveness, also don't forget to set "Wait between packets" to 0 ms, and tweak the update frequency. I typically try to match the buffer size / sample rate frequency (e.g. with a buffer of 128 samples at 44.1kHz, I tend to use an update frequency of 345 Hz), as automation normally is updated once every audio buffer for plug-in parameters as well, but haven't ever really measured the performance or accuracy of OSC data traffic between apps. Of course, the more parameters you use simultaneously, the more you run the risk of 'flooding' and causing hiccups, so it may require a bit of balancing for optimal performance.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #86
bny2013

Default MiditoReaControlPath

Hello... so would I be able to use this to automate a midi cc#(parameter) for a vst/vsti, by playing notes on my midi keyboard (live)or notes in a midi clip...

Sorry trying to describe it the easiest way...

Kind of like what you can do with FL Studios Keyboard Controller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oueAwfdMUo

Thanks
bny2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #87
The Telenator
Banned

I'm no MIDI newb in any sense of the word, but I must say, I can't understand 90% of the instructions in the OP nor can I understand what the controls on this plugin are supposed to do. The terminology on each control is completely unclear to me.

I do understand such things as MIDI learn and how parameters are controlled by MIDI numbers. Is there anywhere that goes through this plugin step-by-step and explains each freaking control and what to do with each? I simply don't find anything in this thread that explains much of anything. Most of what I do see is chaps clueless like myself and asking for a concise, plain explanation. As it is the plugs useless to me currently. Thanks.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #88
The Telenator
Banned

Thanks for your encouragement and direction here. I think you are correct. I need to remind myself that I probably won't blow anything up while experimenting. It's not a chemistry set.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #89
Kite

I would love to try this VST, but I downloaded both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions and Reaper can't find either one.
I'm running 32-bit Reaper on OSX 10.5.4. Both VSTs are in /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST, along with other VSTs that Reaper can find. I've restarted Reaper, and gone to preferences/plug-ins/VST and hit rescan.
Kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #90
meatbits

Boy, do I not understand what's going on here. I'm trying to use ReaControlMIDI to control a track volume with a fader on my MPK49.

a) I add ReaControlMIDI onto the track under FX

b) In the VST, under "Control Change: I click "Enable" and then futz with the onscreen fader for Volume

c) I click "Param" then "Learn", then move the physical fader on my MPK. I check no other boxes. Click OK.

d) Now, physical fader is mapped to the volume fader *in the VST* -- physical movement produces on-screen movement. But ONLY in that VST fader, NOT in the TCP fader, which is what I'm trying to control.

e) Playback and manipulation of the physical fader does not move the TCP volume fader, nor affect the track volume.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

(OSX v4.54)
meatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #91
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbits View Post
But ONLY in that VST fader, NOT in the TCP fader, which is what I'm trying to control.
You are answering your own question: you are mapping to a VST, NOT to a Reaper control (volume in this case).
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #92
meatbits

And I can map to a Reaper control how?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #93
technogremlin

Quote:
And I can map to a Reaper control how?
You have to look through the actions list I think. I'm running my US-2400 in MIDI emulation mode which gives me a mixer-strip mode: I have some rotaries mapped to sends 1 through 4 and needed to set up MIDI-control on some actions for it.

EDIT: just looked through the action list and there doesn't seem to be an action for track volume. So You might have to start digging into control surface stuff
Old 10-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #94
meatbits

Ok, thanks.

1) Anybody have any more specific instructions on how to map the TCP's volume slider to a physical slider?

2) Question: if the "Volume" slider in the ReaControlMIDI VST doesn't refer to the volume of the track it's inserted upon, what does it refer to?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #95
technogremlin

Quote:
Ok, thanks.

1) Anybody have any more specific instructions on how to map the TCP's volume slider to a physical slider?

2) Question: if the "Volume" slider in the ReaControlMIDI VST doesn't refer to the volume of the track it's inserted upon, what does it refer to?
As far as i know, ReaControlMidi is for controlling MIDI-gear from Reaper, not the other way around.

I didn't read everything here in this thread, but it seems the plugin discussed here (which is not ReaControlMidi) might actually be of help. But I can't help you there.

To answer question 2; I guess it's for controlling the volume of the connected MIDI-device (like e.g. a hardware synthesizer). Again, no experience with it as I sold all my hardware synths years ago.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #96
Kite

See this thread for another way to do this:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=139515

This method is useful if you can't get MIDItoReaControlPath working on your system.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #97
benf

Hi everybody.

I'm trying to use MIDItoReaControlPath to record the CC11 (expression) that comes from a microphone through ReaControlMIDI.
I got two tracks. The first one (audio) is here to record the microphone and I route it to the second one (MIDI) in pre-FX.

Here is my FX chain on the second track :
* ReaControlMIDI where I put a Control Change slider to Expression and use my incoming audio signal to control it
* MIDItoReaControlPath (all sliders to the left) that I hope would allow me to record the CC11 MIDI messages with all the MIDI messages from my piano keyboard
* The brass VSTi I want to control

The result is my VSTi expression is well controlled from my microphone, but no CC is recorded at all.
Did I go wrong somewhere or isn't it possible to record my CC that way ?

I made that Licecap to make it clearer :

Last edited by benf; 09-23-2014 at 10:20 AM.
benf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:13 AM   #98
Thalamus

Great tool.

I have a problem. All works as it should when replaying in the project (some notes and CC controlling the params of many instances of a waves plugin across many tracks).
But when offline rendering the MIDI does not seem to be controlling the plugs...

Any ideas?
Thalamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:51 AM   #99
mick1

Hi

not sure if this is what I need

I'm trying to set up auto recording - ie: recording starts as soon as any midi note is played - I had this years ago in DrT KCS on my Atari but have never found it on any DAW since

I'm also trying to find where to download the "Jeff misc action trigger " you show here

many thanks for any help

Mick
mick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:46 AM   #100
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain caveman View Post
Firstly, thanks very much for this plugin. The behaviour of moving automation with items was making me nervous in Reaper so this is a great solution!

With FIPM enabled on a track, I am recording passes of FX automation which are recorded into their own items on the same track. I wrote the worlds worst/smallest/most useless plugin to use with it....

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/4912/Control%20Sliders.txt

.... so that I now have 15 Track Presets saved with 15 different channels of pre-MIDI-learned TCP controls which I link FX parameters to with Parameter Modulation.

Like with a lot of things, it's easier to do than to say.

Thanks again.
This would make an excellent candidate for a video! easier to do, you say?! hope so!!
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:45 AM   #101
mestretheo

Hi, guys! It’s my first post here. Any help will be much appreciated.

My desire: I want to record realtime automation for a Kontakt instance while I play the notes. For illustration, I put a picture showing how I make it. It is part of a four horn kontakt template I’ve done (reaper - aut1.png).

To record notes and CC, I play them using a ReaControlMidi as a FX with CC11 armed and play it in latch mode. I’ve done it with ‘Tpa1’. But Midi CC are being recorded in the Midi item, so I wondered that MIDItoReaControlPath would be a good way to prevent Midi CC to be recorded in the Midi item.

Fact: it’s not working. All CCs are being recorded in midi item despite MiditoReaControlPath. I’ve configured it as shown in (reaper - aut2.jpg).

My problem: Besides the Midi CCs being recorded in the item, they ‘leak’ to the next track I put to latch! (you can see in Tpa2)

I’m sure I miss something here. I’ve read the threads since the first one, but I was unable to find a clue of what I’m doing wrong. Probably, something stupid... Would you please help me with this issue? Pleeease!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper - aut1.png (54.7 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg reaper - aut2.jpg (18.0 KB, 302 views)
mestretheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:14 AM   #102
SmajjL

Here is the proper place to say thank you!
You added functionality to the Maschine Mikro MK2 so pads can trigger actions maaaan.

(Me do a little fancy breakdancing on my way out) thanks.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:15 AM   #103
DarkStar

Hello mestretheo and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you get the excellent User Guide too:
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

(a) It's by design; even if a MIDI CC# number is "MIDI learned" to a automation envelope, the MIDI data is still passed to any track that is "listening" where it could be recorded or control a VSTi or ...
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=40904

(b) MIDItoReaControlPath is added as an FX so it works after the MIDI is received on the track. But ... try inserting it as an Input FX

(b) re the "leakage" - check that the other envelopes are not armed for recording (writing).

Also, the track routing looks odd- "master/parent send is disabled, but each track is indicating a Send somewhere.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:41 AM   #104
noise_construct

I solved the MIDI recording part by switching to a separate knob controller which is set to only "Control enabled". CC handling in midi clips is just really cumbersome even with SWS actions.

Not sure if you could filter out the CCs on the parent track and still record to automation lanes, didn't try since I had the hardware option.

EDIT: by the way there's no need for any ReaMIDI*** plugins or thing for recording automation, unless I'm missing some specific need here?
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #105
mestretheo

Dark Star, you solved my issue! Thank you very much!

As my issue could be someone's I would like to comment your valuable tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
(b) MIDItoReaControlPath is added as an FX so it works after the MIDI is received on the track. But ... try inserting it as an Input FX
THAT'S IT! I never thought of that! (in fact, I've never payed attention to the little "in"! Now I wonder what else I can do with it! Putting MiditoReaControlPath as a Input FX prevents Midi CCs to be recorded along with the item. Now I have only notes (see picture attached)

Quote:
(b) re the "leakage" - check that the other envelopes are not armed for recording (writing).
Since there's no CC recorded, there's no 'midi leakage'!

Quote:
Also, the track routing looks odd- "master/parent send is disabled, but each track is indicating a Send somewhere.
Yes, that's Kontakt procedure, as far as I know. Yesterday, I didn't put the entire template, sorry! As is shown in the picture, I open a track which is the 'master' for Kontakt. I use both Reaper's "Build multichannel routing..." and "Build 16 channels of Midi..." to create 16 midi tracks AND another 16 audio tracks (most of them, hidden). I was unable to make Kontakt's track as a folder, so I made that configuration. The master is where Kontakt is "in", as you can see in the picture. If there's a less clumsy way to do this, please let me know. But, as I save it as a template, I have to construct it few times, reusing it project after project. The automation was one of the last things I was eager to accomplish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper - aut3.jpg (64.8 KB, 333 views)

Last edited by mestretheo; 01-21-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #106
mestretheo

Hello, noise_construct, and thank you for the suggestions. I would rather comment in the spirit I've made with Dark Star post, with your permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_construct View Post
EDIT: by the way there's no need for any ReaMIDI*** plugins or thing for recording automation, unless I'm missing some specific need here?
As I can have up to 16 midi channels with only one Kontakt instance, I have to have one ReaMidi... for each Midi Channel I want to use. In my example, with french horns, I need CC11 to control "expression" (volume, sort of) and CC100 for changing mutes. Each patch in Kontakt may demand it's own set of CCs, so I thought better to save tamplates with all this (a Kontakt instance, MidiReaControl and, my newest add on, MiditoReaControPath)

If I work with a non-multitimbral synthesizer, in fact, I don't use ReaMidi.

Last edited by mestretheo; 01-21-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #107
noise_construct

Ah right, I see. Cool that you got it sorted.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #108
soundchaser59

Just found this, tried it and it works great, my recorded midi controller does change the track volume when I playback.

Coool stuff......but I also saw the post above about the recorded midi control tracks not being rendered. I do render so that may bite me, I don't know. But I also don't mind recording (mixing down) real time to stereo wav either, if that's what it takes to maintain my track mixing automation.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:30 PM   #109
gregwor

Does anyone have a current download link? The one posted here doesn't seem to work. Thanks!

Greg
gregwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #110
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwor View Post
Does anyone have a current download link? The one posted here doesn't seem to work. Thanks!

Greg
Just downloaded the x64 Windows, worked fine. Which version didn't work for you to download?
Old 01-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #111
Rimokatolik

Default MIDI from VSTi to actions

I am new to Reaper and just discovered this thread. I am looking for integrating Hauptwerk with Reaper in special way. I would like to connect MIDI devices to Hauptwerk, but then assign some MIDI messages that Reaper receives through VSTi to actions. Is that possible with this plugin?
Rimokatolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #112
BenK-msx

Hi look at realearn by helgobosss, bit newer and supported and may help if you place it after your vsti.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:47 PM   #113
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaser59 View Post
Just found this, tried it and it works great, my recorded midi controller does change the track volume when I playback.

Coool stuff......but I also saw the post above about the recorded midi control tracks not being rendered. I do render so that may bite me, I don't know. But I also don't mind recording (mixing down) real time to stereo wav either, if that's what it takes to maintain my track mixing automation.
Just want to say THANKS again for this MIDItoReaControlPath plugin.....but I'm using the 64 bit version this time. Recorded midi controller to a midi track, route it to the track I want to control the fader real time, when I play back the midi control track moves the instrument track fader perfectly.

I will try rendering to see if that works, but again I'll record out to wav real time if necessary. I'm just thrilled to have this functionality, it's a huge assist with automating my mix.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #114
soundchaser59

On my project I am sorry to report that MIDItoReaControlPath does not survive the render. Works exactly as intended when playing back real time, but when I render the project and play back the resulting wav file, it's obvious that the changes controlled by MIDItoReaControlPath were not rendered with the rest of the project.

However, midi stuck notes rendered just fine. I am getting random (different every time I play the project) stuck notes, always on one instrument in one 32 bit VSTi (SampleTank). Always the same instrument, but never the same notes never in the same place in the song. When I rendered the project and played back the wav file, about half way thru there is a midi stuck note that stays on thru the rest of the song.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:02 PM   #115
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
You're welcome - and thanks for the vote, and the 'blind confidence' in my FRs yourself. I'm glad you found it easy enough to set up. I hope you'll manage to hack it into something (more) useful for your purposes.

I guess not always seeing the sliders moving (which I've noticed as well) is related to REAPER's lazy GUI updating, and that OSC commands take priority over the GUI, like audio and MIDI.

For high responsiveness, also don't forget to set "Wait between packets" to 0 ms, and tweak the update frequency. I typically try to match the buffer size / sample rate frequency (e.g. with a buffer of 128 samples at 44.1kHz, I tend to use an update frequency of 345 Hz), as automation normally is updated once every audio buffer for plug-in parameters as well, but haven't ever really measured the performance or accuracy of OSC data traffic between apps. Of course, the more parameters you use simultaneously, the more you run the risk of 'flooding' and causing hiccups, so it may require a bit of balancing for optimal performance.
I maybe just found a bug in MIDItoReaControlPath....I had the plugin on track 31, recorded the midi controller on track 31, and then routed the output to track 30 so that the plug was moving the track fader on track 30.

Then I inserted a new track up above, just after the Master track, and next thing you know MIDItoReaControlPath is still moving the fader on track 30 instead of 31, even though the send says it is being sent to track 31. Because when I inserted the new track, track 29 became track 30, and the MIDItoReaControlPath plugin does not adjust automatically to the new track numbering created when I inserted a new track.

In other words, inserting a new track up above means my MIDItoReaControlPath plugin is now on track 32, the send says it is routed now to 31 instead of 30, but the plugin is moving the fader on track 30 (which was track 29 before I inserted the new track).

Last edited by soundchaser59; 05-04-2017 at 10:12 PM.
soundchaser59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #116
Thohi

Default Can it not be global?

Frustrated that you can MIDI-learn the individual VST controls, but then recording them does nothing in Reaper (Why? Why??!?), I came across this plugin, and it seemed to be a solution to the problem. Again, it's a problem that shouldn't exist, but okay..

However!

And this is a pretty BIG however...!

If I have more than one track with MIDItoReaControlPath, controlling different plugins.. They overlap.
That is, Synth 1, in track 1, gets the MIDI CC# automation from track 1.. But also from track 2. And likewise, Synth 2, in track 2, gets all the MIDI CC# from both tracks. So now, rather than having the problem of MIDI CC# not being translated to the learned functions (again, WHY??!), I'm having a new problem of MIDI CC# data not intended for a track being interpreted for that track.

Is there really no way to make M2RCP not just throw out global commands, but instead make it just manipulate the track it's in?
Thohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #117
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thohi View Post
Frustrated that you can MIDI-learn the individual VST controls, but then recording them does nothing in Reaper (Why? Why??!?)
I'll guess it is because you're not doing it right. Please raise a new thread, describing the steps you took and where you ran into a problem, and I'm sure that someone will help.

Oh, and hello and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
Old 11-11-2019, 03:14 AM   #118
dazastah

So the download links are all dead. Is this still available ? Or if allowed can someone pm me with a link please!!
dazastah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #119
Buy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazastah View Post
So the download links are all dead. Is this still available ? Or if allowed can someone pm me with a link please!!
as of now all links in the 1st post are functional
Buy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:26 AM   #120
chumbo

Default Can someone explain the last two settings? ('Route to....)

Hi,
I'm thrilled to have found this plugin!
I was able to instantly do what I wanted by only making a change to the second setting (Input message type) but now I'm curious what other potential it might have in store so, could someone please explain how to use the last two settings?

- Route to standard MIDI path
- Route to control path

I think I basically understand what they are meant to be affecting but I don't understand the adjustments one can make to them: All (pass thru), Matching 1 & 2, Not Matching 1 & 2, None (midi eater)?

Thx in advance!

PS Au fait, Jeffos, tu peux très bien écrire ta réponse en français et je la traduirai pour tous le monde pour respecter la langue dans ce forum (je dis ca car j'ai lu que t'avais écrit que l'anglais était parfois un peu pénible pour toi. Je suis parfait bilingue donc aucun prob pour moi )

Last edited by chumbo; 03-21-2020 at 08:37 AM.
chumbo is offline   Reply With Quote