Old 08-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #1
tontechnik358
Human being with feelings

Default USB vs audio interface recording

Hi,

I have a Yamaha P125. Would you guys suggest recording direct with a USB (Sound over USB) or to use the two outputs with an audio interface.

Kind regards
tontechnik358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #2
toleolu

I connect my Novation keyboard via USB to the computer, works great.

If you go with the USB, might be a good idea to install the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver from Yamaha's website.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
domzy

If you want to record other sources at the same time as your keyboard you will probably need to use an interface, but for just the keys i would think the on-board facility would be fine.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
SonicAxiom

I tried the P-125's USB audio functionality but for my environment this yields several disadvantages. First, as domzy stated, it keeps you from using your regular audio interface and you won't be able to record anything else at the same time. Second, sample rate is limited to 44.1 kHz. I much prefer using the P-125's analog output. This allows me to use my usual multichannel audio interface which has to be run at 48k (due to a Dante network). Another benefit is that I can run the analog output signal of the P-125 through my high-quality analog outboard gear prior to sending it into the multichannel audio interface to beef up the sound before recording it in Reaper.

Btw, I've created a ReaBank file for my P-125 in order to be able to select its sounds from Reaper via ReaControlMIDI. You can download the ReaBank file and a customized track template for the P-125 which provides 4 separate MIDI tracks:

https://www.audioworld.de/data/Yamaha%20P-125.reabank

https://www.audioworld.de/data/Yamah...RTrackTemplate

Put the ReaBank file into the "ReaBanks" subfolder and then open the track template.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
First, as domzy stated, it keeps you from using your regular audio interface and you won't be able to record anything else at the same time.
I never really tried that before as I am a one man show, so as a test, I connected my Novation keyboard USB and plugged a guitar into my Presonus interface and both tracks recorded at the same time.

Not saying that's universal, just seemed to work OK in my case.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
serr

Just understand that there is a USB audio interface built into that keyboard. That's what that USB output literally is. It's a 2 channel stereo output only device and you connect to it like any audio interface. If you want to use multiple interfaces together, create an aggregate device with your OS audio utility app.

If you want to use multiple interfaces together with one of them being the keyboard, you'll almost certainly have to make the keyboard the master device and slave the rest of the system to it. (Because that keyboard isn't going to have a clock input or digital input to let you do it the other way around.)

Keep things simple of course and don't do any of that unless you really have the need!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
tontechnik358

Thanks for your answers.
tontechnik358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #8
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Just understand that there is a USB audio interface built into that keyboard.
Ah, is that the difference? The Yamaha keyboard is looked at as another interface where my keyboard is just midi output?
Old 09-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #9
b2001

I will bet your novation usb interface is both audio and midi.

I have a yamaha mx49, its usb interface is both audio and midi. Now to this point, i have only used its audio output but pretty sure i could play something and send audio to one track and midi to another.
b2001 is online now   Reply With Quote