Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Doodad
Human being with feelings

Default Kontakt 5 Questions

Hey Y'all:

So far I am using REAPER v4 along with EZDrummer to record acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and drums. I am now looking at the possibility of incorporating some virtual instruments. For example, strings, orchestra, piano, organ, choir, etc. I have been looking at Kontakt 5 as well as SampleTank but I really don't know anything about them. I have also looked at the thread discussing freeware. Now, I'm as lost as a fart in a tornado. Then, a few minutes ago, I see in another thread that Kontakt 5 is on sale for $199 USD.

Before I go and spend hard earned money can someone please explain how Kontakt 5 works? More specifically, is this just a library full of loops that I "audition" and then drag and drop kind of like EZDrummer. Or, do I have to assign a preset instrument sound in Kontakt and then actually play the note and chord progression on a keyboard.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Sound asleep

kontakt is a popular player, because of that you can get a free version, so you can try it out.

it is a sampler, where you can load instruments basically.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
bluzkat

Doodad,

Kontakt is a 'sampler'. Check out the link to see Kontakt:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/.../?content=2013.

ps: At $199... Kontakt is a bargain. Snatch it!!

Old 06-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
brainwreck

You can download the free Kontakt Player to get a feel for how things work. You might also watch some Youtube videos.

I haven't wondered off into NI land yet, except for the free players, just to see how things work. Instruments are drag n drop, from the library in the browser to the instrument area. From there, you can tweak whatever you want. I would say that it is about as easy to use as Ezdrummer, with much more control under the hood, should you need it. The instruments are what you would expect, playable instruments, but there is also some loop stuff in there in way of sliced loops and MIDI clips (for drums any way), much like Ezdrummer.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Doodad

Hey Guys,

I appreciate the prompt replies. I've looked at some youtube videos but most of the time it shows what is happening on the DAW screen. It doesn't show if someone is actually playing a keyboard with a software preset sound, or if it is a loop.

I have a keyboard and can play notes and chord progressions, but, I do not consider myself a keyboardist.

Kontakt's sounds, however, appear to be top notch.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
hopi

sounds can be top nochos depending on the lib used...

K5 comes with it's own lib which is quite substantial...

what you are mainly asking about seems to be about midi groove files... like you get in the toontrack and other drum vsti's...

There are some newer K5 lib's that end in the name "...drummer"

all those include such midi grooves

Other drum libs do not

but you can either program in your own midi drum notes or use any other drum midi file... you might have to move certain midi notes up or down to the note you want for a given kit piece but that is easy..

really though, I think you need to clear up some understanding about what Kontakt is and does... you seem to be thinking about it in not quite the right way...
Old 06-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
Nip

There is no comparison Kontakt and SampleTank regarding existing 3rd party libraries.

Kontakt is an investment - SampleTank is a dead end.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
gxulien

Default sampletank vs Kontakt 5

Been pondering sampletank vs Kontakt 5 lately. Wonder if you get the free vintage analogue synths if you get the crossgrade for $250 after you by something that qualifies, such as the not too attractive infinity player ($50), or something better like the vir2 line. Thing is, Kontakt has plenty of third party software for a couple of hundred or three hundred dollars a pop. I K Multimedia bundles all their software sampler stuff for $300.

My only question, being a man of limited means, is what do I get from Kontakt vs I K Multimedia for $300? Is Miroslav Phil better than the stock NI orchestra? Inferior? Should I shell out for Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO) if it's just for backing tracks in the mix? ($150). If I have a few hundred bucks every year to shell out for new sounds, NI looks like the way to go (I don't). IK has problems they shouldn't have. The interface is too small (common observation). You look under "guitar and bass" on their website and they have their $30 guitar samples under the computer plug-ins. Maybe they would sell more if they put it under guitar and bass? I shelled out for Shreddage II and Shreddage II picked bass and I probably could have used the IK product, seeing as they sampled more guitars and the real sound is in the amps and effects. Any takes on this? Plogue and the .sfz format is promising, but I want a big library and don't want to spend all my free time trolling the internet for sounds.
gxulien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
JHA

Kontakt and SampleTank are in a different league and not really comparable. SampleTank 2.5 XL comes with 6.4GB of "instruments, loops, sound effects" while Kontakt 5 comes with "43 GB of high-quality samples and well over 1000 production-ready instruments." IKM lists ST at 55.99€ while NI K5 is 399€. ST is a sample player while K5 is full blown sampler/editor ie. you can make your own instruments with it and it also opens/converts many hardware/software samplers' patches.

Both NI and IKM offer free versions and they come with around 500-600MB of instruments that are totally usable. If you need realistic strings/orchestra though you might want to look for specific instruments like East West, Vienna Symphonic Library or Garritan that come with their own players.
JHA is offline   Reply With Quote