Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 05-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
mlprod
Human being with feelings

Default Pro Tools style crossfade!

Devs, lets do it!

Two adjecent items, put cursor at the lower corner and just drag and it will be crossfaded equally long on both items.
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Can't you get close to that using auto-crossfades when overlapping items?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
SoulOne82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Devs, lets do it!

Two adjecent items, put cursor at the lower corner and just drag and it will be crossfaded equally long on both items.
Already possible...

SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
mlprod

Thats not what I mean. You are moving the items in order to create a crossfade.

In PT you can just drag out a crossfade from an intersection between two items, with the center of the crossfade being that of the original intersection point.

Now in reaper this is a two stage operation. First trim one of the items over the other one AND then move the crossfade so that its middle in in the same spot as the original intersection.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #5
spinear

I don't get it. Some picture from PT would be better.
spinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
nofish

This ?

That's 'Media item fade intersection" mouse modifier.
Thing is though, the fade intersection target is quite small so you have to zoom in quite a bit to make it work (at least I don't know another way).

edit:
Posted before I saw the video.

Last edited by nofish; 05-28-2016 at 02:46 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
mlprod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGq-AamW4l4

Here you have it, 4:10 in the video.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
EpicSounds

Options menu
* Auto-crossfade media items when editing
* Trim contents behind media items when editing

Preferences>Project>Media Item Defaults
[x] overlap and crossfade when splitting.

You can hold shift to drag a crossfade position left and right on the two items.
Double-click to open the crossfade editor
Old 05-29-2016, 02:45 AM   #9
mlprod

Thanks John, but this is not the same. This only works when splitting items (why crossfade something that is already continous?) and also you need to have a default length of the crossfade, which may or may not work because its very dependent on your current zoom level.

So feature request still stands=)
Old 05-29-2016, 05:12 AM   #10
airon

It's a new mouse modifier context for the lower corners of items, which we don't have.

It's a bit more convenient because you get symmetrical crossfades with the centre at the item edges.

But that's all it is, convenience.

By default ALT+Right-drag and crossfade the result with a key command, any length, any items and without having to destroy a crossfade first as you may(may not anymore?) have to do in Protools.

I may have asked for this a few years back. Maybe it's a nice new mouse modifier context.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #11
mlprod

airon, yes that is correct. What I am suggesting is expanding the Reaper smart tool to be able to drag the symmetrical x-fades in an item intersection. Probably the only feature from PT that I would like to see in Reaper.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:19 AM   #12
mlprod

Bump again for this awesome way to quickly crossfade two items.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #13
mlprod

A healthy bump for 5.30!
Old 11-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #14
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOne82 View Post
Already possible...
How did you do it?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #15
planetnine

Default REAPER version?

In PT, do the items have to butt-up to each other?

I do like the REAPER way because needing the overlap prior to xfading makes you consider the contents of each item to its post-fade terminator, whereas the PT way extends the xfade past the starting-point terminators. It's a personal choice, but I can see how the PT method has advantages for some workflows.

Thinking of scripting here, the crossfade doesn't exist before the items are overlapped. Action to create symmetrical xfade about closest edge of item under mouse cursor with it's neighbour? Something with a default starting width and a gap-limit for non-touching items?

Then just grab the xfade intersection with Ctrl-mouse for a symmetrical adjustment?

>
Old 11-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #16
mlprod

I dont even come from PT but I do believe they have to be butt up.

Yes, what I think would be nice with this is just to drag xfade symmetrically around a splitpoint. Maybe it would be possible with a script cause I guess all that is needed for this to work is that there is a crossfade there to enlarge.

So yes good idea there planetnine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
In PT, do the items have to butt-up to each other?

I do like the REAPER way because needing the overlap prior to xfading makes you consider the contents of each item to its post-fade terminator, whereas the PT way extends the xfade past the starting-point terminators. It's a personal choice, but I can see how the PT method has advantages for some workflows.

Thinking of scripting here, the crossfade doesn't exist before the items are overlapped. Action to create symmetrical xfade about closest edge of item under mouse cursor with it's neighbour? Something with a default starting width and a gap-limit for non-touching items?

Then just grab the xfade intersection with Ctrl-mouse for a symmetrical adjustment?

>
Old 11-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #17
planetnine

Working on it...

>
Old 11-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #18
planetnine

Got some issues with stretch marker compatibility, but this script shows the idea...

Crossfade is created at closest edge of item under mouse cursor, items are extended to overlap this point, use Ctrl-xfade drag to adjust.

Items don't have to meet initially, there can be a gap, or even an overlap (limits can be set on this), xfade length for this action can be set.

>
Old 11-28-2016, 01:11 AM   #19
mlprod

Wow thats great planetnine!
I was thinking (wihout knowing if its possible) that it would be great to set the initial xfade lenght in pixels rather than lenght so that its easy to see regardless of the zoom.
What was the problem with the stretchmarkers?
Old 11-28-2016, 01:57 AM   #20
planetnine

The problem is that the left edge move of the right-hand item is achieved by moving the item, increasing its length accordingly and adjusting the contents to compensate. The action that does this doesn't take stretchmarkers into account and they move with the edge, not stay locked to the contents.

I need a new native action from the Devs or I need to write a new function from scratch that compensates for this.

>
Old 11-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #21
mlprod

Ahh I understand! Not a huge dealbreaker for me personally since I sedlom use stretchmarkers.
So impossible to to the xfade lenght by pixels right?

Quote:
The problem is that the left edge move of the right-hand item is achieved by moving the item, increasing its length accordingly and adjusting the contents to compensate. The action that does this doesn't take stretchmarkers into account and they move with the edge, not stay locked to the contents.

I need a new native action from the Devs or I need to write a new function from scratch that compensates for this.

>
Old 11-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #22
planetnine

I think so, I've got a working script with absolute xfade sizes (SM no longer an issue, it seems), I'll look into modifying it for pixel xfade sizing over the next few days and post back.

>
Old 11-28-2016, 04:07 PM   #23
mlprod

Great stuff!
Would you agree that pixel based lenght would be handy or it just dumb?

Quote:
I think so, I've got a working script with absolute xfade sizes (SM no longer an issue, it seems), I'll look into modifying it for pixel xfade sizing over the next few days and post back.

>
Old 11-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #24
planetnine

No, not dumb, it makes sense. Saves you matching up the xfade width and your zoom level -instead you just zoom for the edit and adjust to the material and its playback.

I'll take a look at it in the morning and work it out. As a starting point, what xfade pixel width do you think you want?

Meanwhile, try this version for size, xfade width of 1/5 second: PL9-create symmetrical xfade at closest edge of item under mouse.lua. Let me know how it performs, any issues, etc.

>
Old 11-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #25
planetnine

Got it working in xfade width of user sec or pixels.

Other user config allows choice of centering xfade on the closest edge, the oposite item edge or midway between the edges. Seems to work well with stretch markers.

Code:
xfade_unit =0		-- 0: pixels 1:seconds
xfade_width =50		-- width in ^^ unit
xfade_loc = 1		-- this item:0 centre:1 opposing item:2

>
Old 11-30-2016, 02:22 AM   #26
mlprod

This is working great planetnine! Great job, where can I donate?
Also this feature request is for my part done!

Quote:
Got it working in xfade width of user sec or pixels.

Other user config allows choice of centering xfade on the closest edge, the oposite item edge or midway between the edges. Seems to work well with stretch markers.

Code:
xfade_unit =0		-- 0: pixels 1:seconds
xfade_width =50		-- width in ^^ unit
xfade_loc = 1		-- this item:0 centre:1 opposing item:2

>
Old 11-30-2016, 04:55 AM   #27
planetnine

Glad we nailed it!

It could do with some limits to prevent back-end overreach and overlong extension to crossfade, but i'll sort that out in a few days and PM you, post it here...

>
Old 11-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #28
mlprod

Great!

Quote:
Glad we nailed it!

It could do with some limits to prevent back-end overreach and overlong extension to crossfade, but i'll sort that out in a few days and PM you, post it here...

>
Old 11-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #29
andyp24

This looks great, PlanetNine, and could be really useful for a project I'm working on to bring features of another DAW (SADiE) into Reaper. Could you please point out where to Donate once I (and hopefully others) have tested this and agreed it's one of the things we need?

Cheers
Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #30
planetnine

Yes, sure. Let me finish it to put some limits in, and then let me know if you need any changes.

What other SADIE features have you in mind? What are you missing?

>
Old 12-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #31
planetnine

Version2: PL9-create symmetrical xfade at closest edge of item under mouse_02.lua.

I've put better error-trapping in this and modularised it for anticipated mod versions. Limits won't let you put in a crossfade wider than either item start/finish.

Let me know if there's any other behaviour that needs catching, or any mods needed.

Edit: Note that this script needs SWS extensions installed to prevent overwriting of any item selection.

>

Last edited by planetnine; 12-02-2016 at 01:32 AM.
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:11 AM   #32
mlprod

Great stuff!
You have any donation system?

Quote:
Version2: PL9-create symmetrical xfade at closest edge of item under mouse_02.lua.

I've put better error-trapping in this and modularised it for anticipated mod versions. Limits won't let you put in a crossfade wider than either item start/finish.

Let me know if there's any other behaviour that needs catching, or any mods needed.

Edit: Note that this script needs SWS extensions installed to prevent overwriting of any item selection.

>
Old 12-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #33
andyp24

Hi PlanetNine,
I've been away from the forum for a few days so I only just saw your message. Thanks for the interest in what we (hoping to be mostly ex-) SADIE users want to see. Please bear with me, and I'll PM you in a couple of days if that's ok.
Cheers, Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:14 AM   #34
ncarcagno

Quote:

>
I just found this post, it's the tool I was looking for ! awesome job Planetnine, thanks !
Just need some help to make it work, how am i supposed to install it ? i already downloaded the scrip and add it to action lists and run it, but still don't have the functionality. Is there something I'm missing ?
ncarcagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:00 AM   #35
pietro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarcagno View Post
I just found this post, it's the tool I was looking for ! awesome job Planetnine, thanks !
Just need some help to make it work, how am i supposed to install it ? i already downloaded the scrip and add it to action lists and run it, but still don't have the functionality. Is there something I'm missing ?
To install, go to the link and download the LUA script. In Reaper, go to Options menu, and select "Show Reaper Resource path in explorer/finder" to determine where to put the script. Your explorer/finder opens a new window. Locate and open the Scripts folder. Put the LUA script in there. Then in Reaper, open your Actions menu. Click New Action>Load ReaScript, and then select the LUA script from the aforementioned Scripts folder. Now you have the script available in your Actions Menu.

**However, the next step is where I am also a bit lost.**
You need to assign the action to a mouse modifier. So you go to Preferences>Mouse Modifiers.

But which Mouse Modifier Context would is this particular script best suited for?

It's taking me a while to figure out. I would have thought it was a left drag that I want, but left drag doesn't allow actions to be associated with it. So, I've tried Media Item Fade Intersection with Left Click, but I can't get it working as I'd expect it to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited by pietro79; 06-17-2021 at 11:25 PM.
pietro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:06 AM   #36
ncarcagno

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro79 View Post
To install, go to the link and download the LUA script. In Reaper, go to Options menu, and select "Show Reaper Resource path in explorer/finder" to determine where to put the script. Your explorer/finder opens a new window. Locate and open the Scripts folder. Put the LUA script in there. Then in Reaper, open your Actions menu. Click New Action>Load ReaScript, and then select the LUA script from the aforementioned Scripts folder. Now you have the script available in your Actions Menu.

You need to assign the action to a mouse modifier. So you go to Preferences>Mouse Modifiers.

But which Mouse Modifier Context would is this particular script best suited for?

It's taking me a while to figure out. I would have thought it was a left drag that I want, but left drag doesn't allow actions to be associated with it. So, I've tried Media Item Fade Intersection with Left Click, but I can't get it working as I'd expect it to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks for your answer Pietro79, oh yes i got stucked there too, already imported the script but dont know how to make it work as desire.
ncarcagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:48 PM   #37
pietro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarcagno View Post
Thanks for your answer Pietro79, oh yes i got stucked there too, already imported the script but dont know how to make it work as desire.
Hmm.. hopefully someone knows the answer. Help us poor souls!
Old 06-20-2021, 04:05 AM   #38
Finow79

Quote:
Hmm.. hopefully someone knows the answer. Help us poor souls!
+1

Thanks
Finow79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:31 AM   #39
Daodan

Quote:

You can assign it to Media item edge->double click or just to keyboard shortcut.
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #40
pietro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
You can assign it to Media item edge->double click or just to keyboard shortcut.
I must be dense. I've added the script to Media item edge->double click (the Default Action.. but also tried it on Shift Click)

I have two media items in the time line spaced half a second apart

Click on of the media item's edge... nothing happens

I tried butting them up together, and overlapping them.. but nothing

I thought maybe I didn't understand where the "media item edge" is, so I tried different parts of the media item... tried also click in the empty space between them.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong!