Old 08-28-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
joelsampson
Human being with feelings

Default Cakewalk Command Center - Not so good

I decided to upgrade my VSTi of Cakewalk Rapture to Rapture Pro while it was on sale. I always liked Cakewalk's plugin procedure. Just download, copy and paste in a serial number or two and done.

They have gone to the "Cakewalk Command Center". It's taken a couple hours to download the plugin and install, and it's still not done. I am not impressed. And I'll have to do this for every machine.

For what it's worth. . . It may be their version of DRM?

Update: does not work at all with Mac OS 10.10.

Last edited by joelsampson; 08-28-2015 at 08:14 PM.
joelsampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #2
blade_master777

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsampson View Post
They have gone to the "Cakewalk Command Center". It's taken a couple hours to download the plugin and install, and it's still not done. I am not impressed. And I'll have to do this for every machine.
Joel,

What I did was go to where the files were downloaded by command center and copy them to the same place on the other machine. Command center found them and installed and I was good to go. I hope this helps.
blade_master777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
jinotsuh

Yes, copying the files to the correct place on the other machine will work, CCC will find them, verify and install.

Also if you already have Rapture, and or Dimension Pro installed, you could have chosen not to download their factory content again, which is essentially what you would have done if you downloaded ALL the files, I think it was the first 3, the core legacy files.

Oh, and your fun may not be over yet, there may be a few more surprises in store for you Rapture Pro is certainly not bug free even today.

I have found CCC to be quite good, it does have it's peculiarities, but in general has worked fine.

Oh, and in case you were unaware, you could have bypassed CCC, and downloaded the files from your Cakewalk account and installed the old fashioned way, I usually download manual and then transfer the files for CCC to find. Faster, multiple simultaneous downloads etc.
jinotsuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
joelsampson

Thanks for the feedback and advice! This forum is the best.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
jinotsuh

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback and advice! This forum is the best.
I added some stuff above that you may have missed
Old 08-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
novaburst

Quote:
I decided to upgrade my VSTi of Cakewalk Rapture to Rapture Pro while it was on sale. I always liked Cakewalk's plugin procedure. Just download, copy and paste in a serial number or two and done.

For what it's worth. . . It may be their version of DRM?

Update: does not work at all with Mac OS 10.10.

Some thing sounds amiss, a few hours !!!!!!

I have been distracted by these new synth from Cakewalk, when its up and running can you give me your take on it,

own rapture, and dimension pro is it worth the upgrade as these are very pleasing synths.
novaburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
blade_master777

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaburst View Post
own rapture, and dimension pro is it worth the upgrade as these are very pleasing synths.
For me it's easier to use, and I find I'm more creative with this version, sounds are same standard. I only upgraded because the price they offered the upgrade at. Would I pay full retail for it? No. But that's me.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #8
joelsampson

Thanks guys. I downloaded a second copy on another machine the "old" way and the command center worked and it was all fast. Maybe I was hitting the server on a bad day.

One last question, I have a serial number, but do I HAVE to use the command center to authorize the plugins? I hate to rely on the internet plus Cakewalk /Gibson still being in business. . . Gibson has a rich history of buying a music technology company and killing it.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:50 AM   #9
LightOfDay
Banned

not onla that.

Gibson has a rich history of selling snakeoil to the believers, like "directed cables" for guitars dlivering alternating current. :-( facepalm

maybe they get more and more influence on the Cakewalk programmes and force them to use "sound wood" for their plugins and drill resonance holes into it.

I trust nothing that has the label Gibson on it. not nowadays.
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:21 AM   #10
novaburst

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_master777 View Post
For me it's easier to use, and I find I'm more creative with this version, sounds are same standard. I only upgraded because the price they offered the upgrade at. Would I pay full retail for it? No. But that's me.
Thanks for the input, thought it it was a new synth with new sounds, think it smart to look for offers on this one
Old 08-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
blade_master777

Quote:
Thanks for the input, thought it it was a new synth with new sounds, think it smart to look for offers on this one
No worries. The good thing with every man and his dog offering their products at a discount with such regularity, you know it won't be long before it's on sale again.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:12 PM   #12
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
I own Rapture and have absolutely no intention of 'upgrading' to this 'Rature Pro', even if they paid me to take it. I read the threads carefully when the new version was released, and it did indeed sound much like the old Gibson snake oil mentioned above.

I'm plenty happy with Rapture the way it is -- as mainly a rompler-like affair with some modding and mixing capabilities. I've plenty of other synths for other duties. Rapture shines on what it does already without needing all this new nonsense.

Let's not forget that all the bright minds that designed Rapture, the other synths and even SONAR itself are all long gone, and no one currently at Cakewalk knows practically anything about the original source code. I'm sure some currently employed there do not even know what or where in the complete compiles many of the operations and functions are or what they do (bet they haven't gone through it all and may never).

I think this is the big reason why so much is going wrong over at Cakewalk lately, including issues with this synth and updated Dim Pro.

Instead, you have a Gibson stooge like Craig Anderton, really just a guitar mag writer/blogger/sometime guitarist, in there 'improving' the whole mess. Yeah, right. He knows programming, DSP? Not. Forget this mess; I expect Gibson will kill off this company about as fast and thoroughly as they have every other company they've ever scooped up. Go figure.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:09 PM   #13
novaburst

I have been checking it out and I like the idea of it having dimension and rapture and rapture pro all under one roof, plus they have given a ton of new sounds and items with it, not rushing in but sorting out this new account stuff get ready for a nice bargin , as it is the old rapture is OK and has some very nice sound design features too
Old 08-31-2015, 11:04 PM   #14
jinotsuh

Quote:
It does have new sounds, quite a few, and it is a new synth. It just has the ability to be backwards compatible with Rapture and Dimension Pro 'legacy' sounds.

Quote:
updated Dim Pro
I might be misunderstanding something here, but Dimension Pro, and Rapture for that matter haven't been or had an update in years. Any perceived update recently has been nothing more than an updated installer to bring them in to line with the new CCC released around 2 updates back.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:53 AM   #15
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinotsuh View Post
It does have new sounds, quite a few, and it is a new synth. It just has the ability to be backwards compatible with Rapture and Dimension Pro 'legacy' sounds.
I might be misunderstanding something here, but Dimension Pro, and Rapture for that matter haven't been or had an update in years. Any perceived update recently has been nothing more than an updated installer to bring them in to line with the new CCC released around 2 updates back.
Hi jinotsuh-

I was about to post the same on both counts.

Thanks-

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #16
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:

The "Update" IS the Rapture Pro! You need to look closer on what they have done here! It is NOT a new synth, just more abilities added. Sheesh!Also, I already have a zillion programs for Rapture, some I suspect I'll never get to -- must have some 4000 with all the free ones and the couple of packs I bought.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #17
jinotsuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
The "Update" IS the Rapture Pro! You need to look closer on what they have done here! It is NOT a new synth, just more abilities added. Sheesh!Also, I already have a zillion programs for Rapture, some I suspect I'll never get to -- must have some 4000 with all the free ones and the couple of packs I bought.
Essentially, you are wrong.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #18
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Essentially, you are wrong.
Bullshit -- it's just Rapture with added abilities (regardless of whatever snakeoil promo blurb that Cakewalk has to say to sell it.) Again, it's just Rapture with more stuff. I've played them both.

And for the record, I bought Rapture on sale for $20 -- they offered it at that price a couple of times. The upgrade price for Pro is ridiculous. Read what was said about all this over at KVR if you don't think it's an 'upgrade'.