Old 05-19-2022, 09:34 PM   #1
Kray
Human being with feelings

Default Game changer - Midi mixer mapping request

Let me first state what I would like Reaper to do in simple terms, perhaps some good soul has an explanation that I am just overlooking. With my midi mixer (Akai Midimix) I have 8 faders. The first fader channel is set up (via LBXSmartKnobs/FaderBox/Realearn) to control the SELECTED TRACK VOLUME. In addition, the corresponding mute, solo and rec buttons are mapped to the selected track also with feedback to control the LEDs. This works wonderful and does exactly what I need. However, I would really like to be able to have the 2nd fader control either the next adjacent track OR the 2nd selected track. Either or these options will due.

What I DO NOT want to do is specifically map them to a fixed track (I already have another midi fader that does that). I'm thinking that maybe there is a script somewhere that I could incorporate into a custom action.

Any help or ideas on this is much appreciated!

- Kray
Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:53 PM   #2
airon

You could give CSI a go, creating a two-track setup.

However I do not know what the other solutions can achieve.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:28 PM   #3
Kray

I looked at CSI earlier today and didn't where it would achieve my desired goal. I may be wrong but I didn't want to spend hours figuring out the configuration if it wasn't natively possible. I certainly can take a 2nd look at CSI. I have a feeling though that even if I created a custom .mst file that the mapping would still just be sequential...track 1 - fader 1, track 2 - fader 2, etc. However, if the automapping would reset to last selected track as its starting point then it may work. Anyone know if that's possible?
Old 05-20-2022, 11:23 AM   #4
foxAsteria

ReaLearn can do all that by itself. Don't need faderbox. You didn't happen to set that all up based on a very old YT video, did you? It's a convoluted, obsolete approach and the authors were going to remove it, since it was only spreading confusion. At the time it was a workaround and none of those tools were developed to work in tandem.

But yea, ReaLearn can control banks of faders and provide controller feedback. Make sure you've updated it to v2 because it's been vastly improved of late.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:02 PM   #5
Kray

...but can ReaLearn assign faders dynamically based off selected tracks?

2 examples:
Lets say that I have a 300 track project and I select track #120. I want to control track volume with 120-127 with my 8 midi faders. Then I select track #200 and want to do likewise and so on and so forth.

...or let's say that I select 8 non adjacent tracks...#90,100,110,112,130,133,145 & 150. I want to control track volume independently with my 8 faders. After I am done mixing I select 8 more tracks and do likewse.

This doesn't work if faders are assigned to specific tracks. Can ReaLearn do this or anyone doing this already?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2022, 12:05 PM   #6
Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
ReaLearn can do all that by itself. Don't need faderbox. You didn't happen to set that all up based on a very old YT video, did you? It's a convoluted, obsolete approach and the authors were going to remove it, since it was only spreading confusion. At the time it was a workaround and none of those tools were developed to work in tandem.

But yea, ReaLearn can control banks of faders and provide controller feedback. Make sure you've updated it to v2 because it's been vastly improved of late.
Just to be clear, that video is down. You were a big reason why it got taken down in the first place probably a year ago at this point.

I could have potentially just used Realearn, yes. I also could have used Smart Knobs by itself had I known what I know now.

Also Is there really something in Realearn that can control the track next to the selected track? If so can you mention how that might get done? It’s not just simply a daw preset as that would act different.

Last edited by Puck; 05-20-2022 at 12:12 PM.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:07 PM   #7
Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
...but can ReaLearn assign faders dynamically based off selected tracks?

2 examples:
Lets say that I have a 300 track project and I select track #120. I want to control track volume with 120-127 with my 8 midi faders. Then I select track #200 and want to do likewise and so on and so forth.

...or let's say that I select 8 non adjacent tracks...#90,100,110,112,130,133,145 & 150. I want to control track volume independently with my 8 faders. After I am done mixing I select 8 more tracks and do likewse.

This doesn't work if faders are assigned to specific tracks. Can ReaLearn do this or anyone doing this already?

Thanks
I don’t know for sure so id wait for someone who actually knows to reply. What sounds like maybe a better option is to select those tracks and then hide the rest of them with some track visibility settings. That way, you could use a normal daw controller like solution as long as it follows Reapers visibility settings. CSI and I’m assuming Realearn both do this.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:43 PM   #8
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Also Is there really something in Realearn that can control the track next to the selected track?
Aye.

There might be other ways, but this works. First track is just <selected>, while tracks after it use <dynamic> with the appropriate number.

And sorry I keep bashing your vid, I know you were trying your best. Thanks for removing it.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:58 PM   #9
Kray

Yes! My most sincere thanks! Turns out I had to uninstall ReaLearn and re-install the latest version. It works perfect now. Thanks for the pic of what it should look like. Under "Type" is shows "Real" - mine was showing "Reaper" as the type with no way to change it. This is why is love the Reaper community. I can't say it enough, you all Rock!
Old 06-02-2022, 05:34 AM   #10
airon

I can tell you how my setup works. My "console" is a 16-fader controller, but in fact, I could tell CSI to just use two and use the rest for other stuff.

Your MST file just defines what the hardware can do. The Zone files actually do stuff with it.

It's all in the Zone files.
It starts when you add a Midi Surface in CSI.

After creating a "Page" on the left panel of CSIs preferences, you add surfaces to it on the right side. After clicking on "Add Midi" you're presented with this:

Here you set how many tracks you want to control at once.

You can always control different ones by banking to the next or previous set of tracks via CSI commands. Also, selecting a track outside that first set in Reaper with your mouse or other means will have CSI switch to the next set of tracks.

In the surface entry you say how many tracks you can and/or want to control with CSI. The unused resources can be used for other things.

You could use one zone for controlling just two tracks. Maybe that's your default. Then you use buttons on the controller to switch to another zone that perhaps controls as much as eight tracks with the midi faders.

On my controller I use all 16 faders, but I also have zones for controlling sends on selected tracks, send 1 on all tracks(banking to other sends as necessary) and even a zone to control all the receives of the selected track. And FX zones for focused FX. Or other great stuff.

You can check out my Faderport16 stuff beneath if you want to know how to use CSI 1.1 to a decent degree.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote