Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 01-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #81
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcostenik View Post
AH... now I understand. Two video plug in two different tracks sums zoom parameter or what else. (may be not opacity)

The best would be if when the item in the tracks ends the video plugin was bypassed.

sorry for my english
Yeah, this actually should be handled at the preset level (it can detect if the track it is on contains no items, and if so just passthrough). I will update the default "track opacity/zoom/pan" preset to do this.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #82
BenK-msx
Human being with feelings

Think it would be good to have seperate / sub settings for item locking of video items.

for example in Justin's performance video you don't want to move anything left or right (normally) to keep time sync, but only move edges to cut as you wish, user can do this by bringing up lock settings and adjusting but thats global and affects audio, I couldn't seem to apply it to selected items.

A few changable defaults for locking of video items separate from audio would be all one needs.

Also the titling text really needs antialiaising as it renders as bad as it previews, I figured it would smooth up on render but alas.

And I can't record video into a track for some reason... Won't work... joking.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #83
dr_After

OK, I am seriously excited about new video options!

My God, it would be just GREAT to mix video tracks in the way that I can mix audio tracks in Reaper! And I just can see that I can drop video file on a track and it plays fine, I can put another and it plays fine too. My questions though:

1. Is it planned to enable crossfading video that same way as audio? Right now it does not work
EDIT: I found it in video processor > item fades in video. I understand that it will be implemented in better way in the future.

2. Is it planned to implement some video fx standard (if there is something like this) or implement own video fx with GUI?
3. Is it planned to give dual view (source monitor / final video monitor) like in other common Video software?
4. Are there plans to implement some third-party video plugins?
5. PS. I can see that some other things are awaited here too, so I can also add: tracking, masking (and rotoscoping), keying - the Holy Three of VFX. and of course - decent color grading, exporting and GPU support. Yes, it's a lot of work. But - is it worthy to go only a few steps of this path? Let's go all way long.

Yes, I know that Cockos does not like to talk about plans, but maybe some of these things were mentioned on the forum and I just missed them.

EDIT 2. I just made some splices and video remixing. THIS IS THE FUTURE OF DIGITAL CREATION, but we cannot stop here, go, Cockos, go!

Last edited by dr_After; 01-07-2015 at 11:40 AM.
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #84
Win Conway

And so it begins lol
Old 01-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #85
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
And so it begins lol
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #86
BenK-msx

Quote:
And so it begins lol
though i wager the 'BAM!' hit them with a numbered list approach just gets the 'glazed eyes' from well worn developers so noone is harmed really.

i prefer a more ninja-like approach, sneaking up just as they're dunking a biscuit in a coffee. although the end of my prev' post here was borderline outrageous 'request crowbarring'
Old 01-07-2015, 08:03 PM   #87
Win Conway

Even better, start a thread asking for features to be removed if they are abandoned "it will be better for the program" reverse psychology is always a winner haha
Old 01-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #88
Tomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_After View Post
My God, it would be just GREAT to mix video tracks in the way that I can mix audio tracks in Reaper! And I just can see that I can drop video file on a track and it plays fine, I can put another and it plays fine too.
Reaper: once built on the foundation of Vegas, now completely following the footsteps of Vegas.
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #89
dr_After

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
Reaper: once built on the foundation of Vegas, now completely following the footsteps of Vegas.
And I think it is the right direction. No more re-learning shortcuts, habits, etc. All-in-one solution would be just great.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #90
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_After View Post
And I think it is the right direction. No more re-learning shortcuts, habits, etc. All-in-one solution would be just great.
No it wouldn't, it is a dead end decision to support video editing

Realist - It is actually terrible for editing video and the effects are straight out the 80s
Fanyboy response - It does everything i need
Actuality - Please add this, please add that, please waste so much time on video features for the the next ten years so that it is on par with a $50 app from 2014

Seriously, do you guys not get this ?
It will get some love and then end up staying half cooked (Because it does what it needs to for Justin, this is his product after all) and then we have to put up with endless feature request asking for new features to the video support, those feature requests then turn to "Oh man the devs don't listen" haha
This should have been released as unsupported ala PIP

Let the geeks get on with it, if you want better video editing support than this, go use your mobile phones, there are apps that are more capable on those.
I really hope that Cockos don't put this on the webpage as some big feature of v5, they will leave a lot of people in absolute bemusement !!
Old 01-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #91
dr_After

Quote:
No it wouldn't, it is a dead end decision to support video editing
If it ends like you describe - yes, it's a waste of time. But I prefer to be optimistic. but, even being optimistic, there is no doubt that Cockos will need more manpower than today to manage audio-video editing software. If they decide just to play with some features and leave video as ever-unfinished bonus, it'll be a shame. Time will tell.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #92
heda

gpunk_w, don't worry Reaper is not going to be a full video editor. But some better video editing features don't hurt. It is going to have score editor, but I also think it can compete against high-end score editors because it is also very complex, as it is video. But having some notation editing or some better video editing doesn't hurt and I think it is a great thing to have.

I would prefer some other audio related features first. But who are we to say what or what not to do at Cockos?
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #93
Win Conway

We are not anybody to say anything, well unless this a public discussion forum Reaper, oh yeah it is hahaha
Cockos have been very clear that we get what they want to implement, not the other way round, this is fair and anybody having an issue with that is not going to change anything.

Score editor, will be a simple add on that works for a few people, it wont be powerful like a real scoring platform, no way they could achieve that.
Video editor, is and will be a simple add on that works for a few people, make a few geeks get excited and then is forgotten as some sub set feature that not many people actually use because like i said, phones do more already.

This list can go on and on, and often does with Reaper, the only truly developed stuff is the backend stuff like APIs and so on, the good thing about this is that it has spawned things like SWS, those are the real guys adding useful features to Reaper as a DAW, lets be completely fair here, if the backend stuff was non existent then the hardware controller support in Reaper would be totally disgusting, a joke in fact, however third parties have run with that (I think Cockos even funded some of these third parties)
So even though they are not for me directly, the only real features of v4 so far are the backend uninteresting features like API/SDK updates and built in LUA (Actually where the scoring has come from)
This video stuff is just a secondary nonsense that a few people are getting excited about because they have nothing else to get excited about in the v5 so far hahaha
Knock off a few long standing FRs and this video stuff would go unnoticed lol
Old 01-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #94
Lawrence

Try not to be so optimistic Gpunk, you'll end up getting hurt.

j/k

... and Heda? ...

Quote:
but I also think it can compete against high-end score editors because it is also very complex, as it is video
Now that's optimism. A feature nobody even has yet can compete against high end score editors? I personally think Schwa is an amazing talent but.. dunno about that (for the short term anyway)... that may be a rather large expectation.

So... the pessimists are like, super duper pessimistic and the optimists are like, super duper optimistic, and everybody else is in the middle.

Last edited by Lawrence; 01-08-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:10 PM   #95
Win Conway

There is a big difference between pessimism and realism

Realist = This feature is a waste of effort
Pessimist = This feature is not only a waste of time but will be the downfall of the developers and the app wont last very long commercially
Optimist = This feature is amazing, it has everything i have ever wanted, can you just add blahx1000
Old 01-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #96
BenK-msx

General point to noone in particular:
The tools these days outstrip pretty much everyones talent,

If you are slow on a tool we can practice and get faster or be cool with being slow.
If your music or video isn't very good, its a case of try harder not switch daw.

I am suck slow at renoise because i don't use it often enough, plus subconsciously I know how damm speedy I was with med/octamed and resent being shit on a similar but different system.
The fault lies squarely at my feet for not putting the yards in.

I had no way of whinging about med's peculiarities just got on with it.
I guess in those rose tinted days you got your software on a disc and there you have it, like or lump it. and you had like 1 choice!

Last edited by BenK-msx; 01-08-2015 at 04:15 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #97
Win Conway

Wow, if you think these video effects/tools outstrip everybodies talent, you should go watch pretty much any music video on You Tube haha
Old 01-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #98
musicbynumbers

The media industry is growing (especially in games) and for these people the video stuff is very very useful.

I'm sure there are features you would find really useful that potentially 70% of others wouldn't too.

As you've read. More good stuff is coming that should satisfy a least a bit of everyone's "needs"
Old 01-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #99
BenK-msx

i can't help thinking that Kubrick probably could have knocked up 2001: a space odyssey with reaper 5 since most of his footage involved big arse cameras pointing at exquisite sets, cut together with music, sound and dialogue. no star wipes needed.

and that point i stop worrying about features. or at least worry alot less.

(watched it in cinema few backs as was re released briefly, fakking awesome on the big screen btw)
Old 01-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #100
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
The media industry is growing (especially in games) and for these people the video stuff is very very useful.

I'm sure there are features you would find really useful that potentially 70% of others wouldn't too.

As you've read. More good stuff is coming that should satisfy a least a bit of everyone's "needs"
If you think anything that has been shown so far would be useful to anybody editing game media, you are sorely mistaken haha
And sorry, no, I haven't read that more good stuff is coming ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
i can't help thinking that Kubrick probably could have knocked up 2001: a space odyssey with reaper 5 since most of his footage involved big arse cameras pointing at exquisite sets, cut together with music, sound and dialogue. no star wipes needed.

and that point i stop worrying about features. or at least worry alot less.

(watched it in cinema few backs as was re released briefly, fakking awesome on the big screen btw)
You are kidding right, you do know how much physical and special FX work went in to 2001 right ?
Old 01-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #101
musicbynumbers

Quote:
If you think anything that has been shown so far would be useful to anybody editing game media, you are sorely mistaken haha
And sorry, no, I haven't read that more good stuff is coming ?
As someone who now co-runs a media company (most doing games) and begrudgingly uses other video editors to create mock ups of games on a day to day basis I disagree.

Even the basic features here like text are extremely useful for explaining event names/implementation notes for callouts in unity/cryengine etc.

Every game or advert we do I like to send out a lot of example vids to the directors to get them onboard/ get "buy in" faster than waiting for implementation to happen first and these features really help here.

I recently had to sell a fantastic idea for a music game for kids that I had to recreate from scratch using alpha channel images of the game assets and animate them in premiere that would have been so much easier to do alongside the actual audio assets/music in Reaper and all we need is a few more standard effects and support for alpha channel detection usage and I'd be very happy.

I've also been editing music vids/corporate stuff on the side for a while too now and for all but the more intricate stuff like masking, colour grading etc. I'd sooner take a hit on lack of CUDA core support in reaper, lack of preview images on items, etc etc but have reaper's editing tools than deal with the top 3 editors as I find them frustrating. That's my main reason to be happy for this stuff. Edit basics in reaper and export for the intricate stuff in other NLEs.

You seem to be "on one" today. I'd advise getting of that high horse and spending some time with the common people for a while

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 01-08-2015 at 06:22 PM.
musicbynumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #102
musicbynumbers

I almost forget to say, DEVS. Just tried out some basic video stuff and loving it so far! Done a great job of getting this stuff in and pretty stable.

Especially love being able to put effects and text on items (empty midi) and then have them come in and out with item fades and even have item volume do opacity (when the track has the right preset on it). This actually run quite well from some canon 5d footage which can normally eat CPU on crossfades without cuda core acceleration.

Awesome job!

Also, if we get the ability to write basic vector images that can be manipulated via reaper automation and sidechaining etc and overlay that I'd be very happy as I've been waiting for that ability for ages. To have it all in one place and do some very abstracting stuff with it
Old 01-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #103
Win Conway

Quote:
You seem to be "on one" today. I'd advise getting of that high horse and spending some time with the common people for a while
I would advise you not to make comments like that
Old 01-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #104
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I would advise you not to make comments like that
I'm not sure if taking your advice is good advice to be honest.

is that ironic?

Anyway. I'm not going to comment again. Hopefully some good will come of your constructive criticism so far be it from me to get involved further. Carry on!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:44 PM   #105
Lawrence

Quote:
Also, if we get the ability to write basic vector images that can be manipulated via reaper automation and sidechaining etc and overlay that I'd be very happy as I've been waiting for that ability for ages. To have it all in one place and do some very abstracting stuff with it
What was that song TLC made? Oh yeah...

"And I creep... "
Old 01-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #106
musicbynumbers

Devs

I just did a render test of some basic text, crossfades on some HD footage and was amazed at the render speeds! Super fast.

Also, I'm using the default reaper 5 FFMPEG (I think) for encoding and also VLC for decoding.

Is there any reason for me (performance wise) to install the standard full version of FFMPEG and switch playback to that instead of VLC?

Would that be better for these new effects or are they done before the video decoding in a sense?
Old 01-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #107
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

"And I creep... "
"don't go chasing waterfalls" comes to mind too! LOL ;')
Old 01-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #108
Win Conway

Quote:

"And I creep... "
Exactly
He went from
This is great
To
All i need is
To
Oh and

It would be nice to have been wrong, but even somebody who said i was wrong already proved i was right lol
Old 01-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #109
heda

Quote:
we need is a few more standard effects and support for alpha channel detection usage and I'd be very happy.

I've also been editing music vids/corporate stuff on the side for a while too now and for all but the more intricate stuff like masking, colour grading etc. I'd sooner take a hit on lack of CUDA core support in reaper, lack of preview images on items, etc etc but have reaper's editing tools than deal with the top 3 editors as I find them frustrating. That's my main reason to be happy for this stuff. Edit basics in reaper and export for the intricate stuff in other NLEs.
I understand you musicbynumbers, and usually agree on everything you say because I know exactly what we need and why you say it We should work together heh...
But I am not hoping REAPER to have all those elements for animation. Maybe to become a efficient and quick video editor yes, but to start entering in the compositing and animation fields maybe it is too much. At least for a start. We don't even have FX per track on video yet. Just a global FX.

Right now I would also like to have frame thumbnails on video items and some feedback in the video window about the frame I am getting dragging the in and out frames of the items, also in the trimmer window(media explorer in REAPER). To be able to see the video frame when dragging the start and end points would be good.

You are right. CUDA or OpenCL support. That would be a must for any application that wants realtime video editing. I hope they will look into it.

I was hoping that we could link audio signals to video fx parameters but Justin said no in the pre3 thread, because video and audio were in different signal paths. A bit sad, because the LFO actually works in sync with the project tempo. so for example we can link the zoom video parameter with the LFO and the video bounces in and out in sync with the song quite nicely. Having that link between audio tracks and video parameters would have been great and an advantage of REAPER over other video editors. I mean if we have the DAW and the Video in the same application, it should take advantage of that and link the most features of both worlds, making it a really unique product.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:53 PM   #110
Lawrence

Quote:
"don't go chasing waterfalls" comes to mind too! LOL ;')
That was just a friendly humorous elbow in the ribs, not a knock.

Let me get the heck out of the middle of you and GPunk's fight now.

Collateral damage.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:55 PM   #111
BenK-msx

Quote:

You are kidding right, you do know how much physical and special FX work went in to 2001 right ?
no, i have no idea how my favourite piece of cinema was made...

it was a wider point about the editing tool not being the key differentiator in the quality of a film project.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #112
Win Conway

No fight, he already proved my point entirely, then decided to attack personally, which was just daft.
I'm done with it now, just gonna leave em all to their dreamland FRs lol
Old 01-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #113
musicbynumbers

I know what you mean and I was hoping for Reaper to get anywhere near the features of most video editors. I'm under no delusion of all the features that would need to "creep" into Reaper to get anywhere near close and I don't want the devs to spend time on anything more than hopefully a few smallish things that have quite large benefits for apparent work load.

I would rather have amazing audio features take up months of dev time than video features. Just hoping for some small things if they are indeed small to implement

The whole GUI/LUA stuff was what made me think we could get access to public variables in LUA based video effects or GUI vector stuff that we could tie into automation for some interesting "visual expressions of music/synaesthesia" stuff but I missed Justin's post on the video being totally unlinkable and that is a big downer on this.

Oh well. Lots of other stuff to look forward too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I understand you musicbynumbers, and usually agree on everything you say because I know exactly what we need and why you say it We should work together heh...
But I am not hoping REAPER to have all those elements for animation. Maybe to become a efficient and quick video editor yes, but to start entering in the compositing and animation fields maybe it is too much. At least for a start. We don't even have FX per track on video yet. Just a global FX.

Right now I would also like to have frame thumbnails on video items and some feedback in the video window about the frame I am getting dragging the in and out frames of the items, also in the trimmer window(media explorer in REAPER). To be able to see the video frame when dragging the start and end points would be good.

You are right. CUDA or OpenCL support. That would be a must for any application that wants realtime video editing. I hope they will look into it.

I was hoping that we could link audio signals to video fx parameters but Justin said no in the pre3 thread, because video and audio were in different signal paths. A bit sad, because the LFO actually works in sync with the project tempo. so for example we can link the zoom video parameter with the LFO and the video bounces in and out in sync with the song quite nicely. Having that link between audio tracks and video parameters would have been great and an advantage of REAPER over other video editors. I mean if we have the DAW and the Video in the same application, it should take advantage of that and link the most features of both worlds, making it a really unique product.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #114
musicbynumbers

Quote:
That was just a friendly humorous elbow in the ribs, not a knock.

Let me get the heck out of the middle of you and GPunk's fight now.

Collateral damage.
My reply was meant to be humorous too! thought it was rather a clever yet warm reply myself

Also, Apart from finding Gpunk's posts a little "acidic" at times when he wants something doing "a certain way". if his "method" gets things done than fine by me

I have no internally built up belief system that makes me think things will go in or not just cos I've asked for them but have been around long enough to know if you don't ask they have a slightly lesser chance

I've asked for things sometimes though and had them put in next build because they were probably either going in anyway or easy to do. I still like to dream though!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #115
BenK-msx

Q for old muckers Lawrence and gpunk_w -

what bad things happen if there is a web page with too many FR's on it?

if it upsets the developers they can always issue warnings like
'quit with endless requests you ungrateful spongers.'

yes there are ways of improving your chances with FRs, which is a different topic, like being polite and not throwing too many at once, timing etc.

FRs in a prerelease forum during active development? who'd have thought.

maybe get another hobby besides popping up saying something pithy when you spot some requests.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #116
musicbynumbers

Quote:
No fight, he already proved my point entirely, then decided to attack personally, which was just daft.
I'm done with it now, just gonna leave em all to their dreamland FRs lol
Anyone who I'd respect here in this forum will read this reply and see straight away what it implies...

...Those people, I shall call my friends

I'm "out" to (although I never intended to be "in")

I hope you get what you want gpunk. I'm sure I'll benefit from it anyway so all good. I just don't have the time at the moment to be more constructive so I apologise for (place whatever reason you want here)
Old 01-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #117
musicbynumbers

Friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Q for old muckers Lawrence and gpunk_w -

what bad things happen if there is a web page with too many FR's on it?

if it upsets the developers they can always issue warnings like
'quit with endless requests you ungrateful spongers.'

certainly not up to any forum user to police requests, who makes them or what they relate to.

yes there are ways of improving your chances with FRs, which is a different topic, like being polite and not throwing too many at once, timing etc.

FRs in a prerelease forum during active development? who'd have thought.

maybe get another hobby besides popping up saying something pithy when you spot some requests.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #118
BenK-msx

blush.
downside of now having net access in my little studio -
get very little practice done due to distractions!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #119
Lawrence

My, my, some here are really touchy. Please point out anywhere I ever said or even implied there are too many FR's or that people should stop making FR's.

The inside joke there was a brief discussion MBN and I prviously had about the inevitability of "wanting more", that's all. i think he got it. It kinda plays into the regular fighting over "development resources".

Touchy.

That's what I meant about "Collateral Damage".

Now i have to go look up "mucker".
Old 01-08-2015, 07:38 PM   #120
musicbynumbers

I totally got it! hence the waterfalls reference which I thought was a great connection

It's all fine. It's good that we all have so much "passion" to get features we would actually use day to day into reaper. Shows that we are at the very least, still breathing!

It takes all types to make a forum constructive so all good.

Just to be clear. Nothing against anyone here, especially people who contribute a lot like everyone on this page, especially gpunk. I've only criticised gpunk once before in the alpha stage of reaper 4 for the same kind of (what I consider) quite harsh posts) but like this time, I regret saying those things because it's part of gpunk's personality and for all I know it is useful part of this forum for balancing out of my horrifically sickening smileys! (argh, I can't stop them!)

No one go changing, lets keep doing what we do!

Quote:
My, my, some here are really touchy. Please point out anywhere I ever said there are too many FR's or that people should stop making FR's.

The inside joke there was a brief discussion MBN and I prviously had about the inevitability of "wanting more", that's all. i think he got it. It kinda plays into the regular fighting over "development resources".

Touchy.

That's what I meant about "Collateral Damage".

Now i have to go look up "mucker".