Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
Sapphireboy
Human being with feelings

Default Sequencing/Burning an Audio CD

Hi,

I am new to reaper and to computer-based recording in general. I am moving from two diferent all-in-one boxes over to something more powerful (please, God!! ;-) )

I am in the process of RTFMing and going over forum posts and the videos to get an idea of what I will need to do to get a smooth recording flow.

One thing I keep hearing is that there is no wav editor or direct functionality to sequence and create finished (for the moment) tracks on a cd for the external world.

Am I misunderstanding clear techno gobbledy-squawk?

How does one get a finished mix (after bouncing to a two-track Left-Right mix) to CD using the Reaper work-flow paradigm?

I want to get this clear, as I will need to teach several other people how to do this.

By the way, thanks for making this program and forum available. This looks like one of the most generous acts I've seen in computerland.

John
Sapphireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Rann

Welcome to the forum!

As far as a wav editor, reaper does have one. Go to Options>Preferences>External Editors and point back to Reaper as your wav editor. Or another option you have is to go to the Audacity homepage http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ and download one for free.

As far as sequencing, there are several options. Piano Roll, virtual midi keyboard, the "F" keys, and the mouse (probably more that I'm not aware of also). I came from a notation background but I've learned enough on piano roll that I haven't been hindered.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer you about the bouncing tracks. But that should keep you busy while rtfm'n.

rann
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Alistair S

If you want a simple wav editor, there are many available (I would suggest looking at Wavosaur - free at http://www.wavosaur.com ) and setting it up as your editor in Options>Preferences?External Editors. To open it, just double click on a wav file in a track.

To create a completed "song" that includes all tracks that you have mixed, use Render in the File menu.

To create a file ready for a CD, it should be at 44.1KHz and 16 bit (see page 122 of the User Guide). You can then use any CD creator (such as Nero) to put it onto a CD.

There are also ways of setting up and creating a CD within Reaper itself - and one of the Render Output Formats is for a CD cue/bin file.

You can even set up an entire CD in Reaper, consisting of multiple songs and then burn it - but I will let someone else explain that if you think you need it - I find I am happy just to render wav files and then use another utility to burn the CD itself.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Rann

Alistair,
Good call on the wav editor! I wasn't aware of it when I posted so I tried it. Much better than audacity. Thanks.

r
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
Sapphireboy

Default Thanks!

Thanks, Alistair and Rann!!

That is more or less what I figured from lurking and reading through posts.

Thanks to both of you on the tips on the WAV editors. It may take me a bit to get used to the idea of division of labor across several programs, after the Roland and Korg systems.

Time to dive in and figure out what I'm doing....

John
Sapphireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
Art Evans
Mortal

The main alternative to Reaper's built-in CD burning from within the "Render" dialog is perhaps "ReaBurn" from http://www.inside-audio.nl/download_reaper_addons.html - it's a small download, have a look at the readme file, and if it looks handy, download the other little programs that it front-ends.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote