Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 02-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #41
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
I was confused by the fact that karbo said "Time selection..." but then seemed to have meant "...selected item" and then when I tried to clear up the disconnect between him and other posters, he came back as though he had always been talking about "...selected items" even though he specifically said "time selection..."

For the record, I have no real problem with Reaper's take system. It took me a couple minutes to adjust from the way Sonar did things, but that was kind of wonky to begin with. Sometimes having a bunch of splits in the middle of items can be a little annoying, but that really only happens when I'm not careful/thoughtful about in/out points, and can generally be cleaned up pretty easily.

Edit - Also I completely agree that this thread is totally fucked from the beginning. The OP still has given us any clue about what they don't like or what they want to change. I have no interest in doing independent research to try to figure out what they think they're talking about.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #42
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I took me a few minutes but I figured it out.

Selection Sets!!! (Screensets and Layouts)

Are you familiar? I've actually never made a video on them because I haven't found a use for them. Until now…
Damn you! I am familiar and I have never used selection sets but I'll give that a whirl next time around. Thanks mang!
Old 02-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #43
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I was confused by the fact that karbo said "Time selection..." but then seemed to have meant "...selected item"
Yes, I see it was a typo of mine in first sentence of post 30 but everywhere else I reference item selection correctly. Apologies! Especially after I was trying to be careful not to do that very thing.

Quote:
For the record, I have no real problem with Reaper's take system.
Me either, I feel I know it pretty darn well, including doing punch ins/dubs/and multiple takes with more complex things like bands and drum kits. I was just adding a small "If there were an FR I would add, this little addition would be helpful; and I would do a proper FR instead of venting session minus specifics".
Old 02-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #44
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Damn you! I am familiar and I have never used selection sets but I'll give that a whirl next time around. Thanks mang!
Yeah. It seems to work really well.

I even added an action to my custom action to switch to this recording mode when it's triggered.

Good luck.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #45
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
No, it's a matter of communicating with your audience. You're writing in a Reaper forum. It's reasonable to assume that we know a bit about Reaper but not the detail of every other DAW that's ever been made.

So if the only description you're willing to give is "Like XXX does" you should realise that a high percentage of the people reading may have no idea what XXX does. So you're not communicating. You're saying "I know this other DAW but I'm not going to explain it to you. If you want to know what I'm talking about you'll have to go off and learn all about it yourself". It's no wonder people resist that invitation.

Steve
(who has never used Studio One and probably never will)
No, I wasn't referring to ONLY using "like XXX does" as description, but how some are a tad too sensitive to the name of another DAW being used among the descriptions.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #46
karbomusic

Quote:
Yeah. It seems to work really well.

I even added an action to my custom action to switch to this recording mode when it's triggered.

Good luck.
Cool nice.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #47
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
No, I wasn't referring to ONLY using "like XXX does" as description, but how some are a tad too sensitive to the name of another DAW being used among the descriptions.
This is what the OP wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johnson III View Post
Make the default simple and intuitive (or just steal it from Studio One…)
Had he left off the "Studio One" part it would have said:

Quote:
Make the default simple and intuitive
Do you find those words useful in a FR thread?

So if you ignore the words that are NOT useful you are left with:

Quote:
Steal it from Studio One…)
Me thinks you're a bit too sensitive when people don't want to simply rip off other software.

I'm not going to debate this with you any further ( it's a waste of both of our times) but the conclusion of this discussion is that if someone doesn't want to get the response you take issue with, they can take the time to explain what they actually want using a bit of specific detail.

We both know that if this was a detailed post with a "mention" of S1 then there would have been no backlash.

But this sensitivity only shows up when the OP says something silly like "Why can't REAPER be more professional like Pro Tools" or something backhanded like "When is REAPER going to grow up and be a REAL DAW?".

Either these (yes. I said "these" because this happens once a week) OPs are just looking for an argument or they have no clue what they want.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #48
vdubreeze

Quote:
The "Take" system works fine.

What people are asking for is a "Playlist" feature.

The OP doesn't seem to be asking for a feature but wants to complain about the Takes system.
What I can't figure out is an elegant way to switch grouping of takes during a multi tracked project. Don't need playlists per se, but how can I make the toggling of take sets faster and easier to change groups of? Say I record five takes of a song and want to work on comping. It's not that I can't listen to drums take 5 and bass take 1 while guitars are take 3 and we start to do vocal takes on this combo. But if someone asks to switch to take 5 of everything while we toggle back and forth on all guitar takes to compare I don't know how to do it as fast as I can do it using PT and DP playlists by a long shot. How can this be done, meaning I want takes to move in sets, hopefully one one move but two or three is ok, but also want to be able to quickly create new sets.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #49
Robert Johnson III

@ Kenny
“The "Take" system works fine.”

This forum is littered with complaints and questions about the take system… One thread is still going strong for about six years. From another point of view this could be seen as not that fine… and maybe going for excellent would be a more ambitious endeavour.

“The OP doesn't seem to be asking for a feature but wants to complain about the Takes system”.

If you have read my other comments I have no clue how you managed to jump to that conclusion (and how do you know so sure what my intentions are anyway, have we met in a previous life?) I just gave an example that is easily verified online (rather than reinventing the wheel and posting all that here… and yes, it is not conform the rules and regulations on how one should supposed to go about stuff like this around here).

@chip mcdonald

“Looking at Studio One's "way", it is just obfuscated ways of doing what Reaper does. “

I have no idea where you goy that idea? It is a very clean, straight to the point, intuitive way of doing takes (default) With swipe comping as a pretty big bonus.

@ashcat_lt

“The OP still has given us any clue about what they don't like or what they want to change. I have no interest in doing independent research to try to figure out what they think they're talking about.”

That is not my problem….

And then we get into a whole discussion about “selection sets”…. Solutions for a problem that should not exist in the first place.

https://soundcloud.com/mytopia

Last edited by Robert Johnson III; 02-19-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Robert Johnson III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #50
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
What I can't figure out is an elegant way to switch grouping of takes during a multi tracked project. Don't need playlists per se, but how can I make the toggling of take sets faster and easier to change groups of? Say I record five takes of a song and want to work on comping. It's not that I can't listen to drums take 5 and bass take 1 while guitars are take 3 and we start to do vocal takes on this combo. But if someone asks to switch to take 5 of everything while we toggle back and forth on all guitar takes to compare I don't know how to do it as fast as I can do it using PT and DP playlists by a long shot. How can this be done, meaning I want takes to move in sets, hopefully one one move but two or three is ok, but also want to be able to quickly create new sets.

Thanks
Item Grouping?

Video
Old 02-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #51
karbomusic

Quote:
That is not my problem
Why did you even start the thread? I didn't start the thread because it truly isn't my problem. Still no FR and no details, just arguing minutia and complaining.

And again as promised, check this out... http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=38883
Old 02-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #52
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
Why did you even start the thread? I didn't start the thread because it truly isn't my problem. Still no FR and no details, just arguing minutia and complaining.

And again as promised, check this out... http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=38883
I just gave an example that is easily verified online (rather than reinventing the wheel and posting all that here… and yes, it is not conform the rules and regulations on how one should supposed to go about stuff like this around here).

Old 02-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #53
karbomusic

Quote:
I just gave an example that is easily verified online (rather than reinventing the wheel and posting all that here… and yes, it is not conform the rules and regulations on how one should supposed to go about stuff like this around here).
That isn't an FR, if you want things changed more than complaining then create a well-thought out FR with proper details, minus the emotion so the devs have something to chew on. This game of "it's all over the forum, you do the foot work" is pure laziness for something YOU need.

Instructions here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=38883
Old 02-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #54
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
@ Kenny
“The "Take" system works fine.”

This forum is littered with complaints and questions about the take system… One thread is still going strong for about six years. From another point of view this could be seen as not that fine… and maybe going for excellent would be a more ambitious endeavour.

“The OP doesn't seem to be asking for a feature but wants to complain about the Takes system”.

If you have read my other comments I have no clue how you managed to jump to that conclusion (and how do you know so sure what my intentions are anyway, have we met in a past life?) I just gave an example that is easily verified online (rather than reinventing the wheel and posting all that here… and yes, it is not conform the rules and regulations on how one should supposed to go about stuff like this around here).
I appreciate that you were able to read the first and third lines in my post. But you should really read my second line before responding.

Quote:

The OP doesn't seem to be asking for a feature but wants to complain about the Takes system.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #55
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
I appreciate that you were able to read the first and third lines in my post. But you should really read my second line before responding.
What people are asking for is (also) a "Playlist" feature. Do I really have to post all the forum links quotes etc... ? Reaper is not a religion folks.... It is just a DAW

Old 02-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #56
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

That is not my problem….
Good point. It's NOT your problem. It's the problem of the person looking for a solution or trying to get their Feature Request considered. Which obviously doesn't apply to you.

Quote:
And then we get into a whole discussion about “selection sets”…. Solutions for a problem that should not exist in the first place.
That was a solution to a completely different problem. We got bored trying to figure out what you were on about so we starting discussing other things.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #57
karbomusic

Quote:
What people are asking for is a (also) "Playlist" feature. Do I really have to post all the forum links quotes etc... ? Reaper is not a religion folks.... It is just a DAW
Nope just create the FR starting for Playlists specifically (or something else as specific) instead of generalizations and the poll that goes with it. Or if there is one already, vote for it and reply to it for visibility.

You could potentially link in that nice FR, some supporting links though.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #58
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
Good point. It's NOT your problem. It's the problem of the person looking for a solution or trying to get their Feature Request considered. Which obviously doesn't apply to you.

That was a solution to a completely different problem. We got bored trying to figure out what you were on about so we starting discussing other things.
I'm not your monkey dude.... And you don't provide any arguments other than "things are fine".

Last edited by Robert Johnson III; 02-15-2017 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #59
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
What people are asking for is (also) a "Playlist" feature. Do I really have to post all the forum links quotes etc... ? Reaper is not a religion folks.... It is just a DAW
I have yet to see anyone's issue with the "Takes" system that couldn't be solved with a "Playlist" function.

No. You don't have to post links or quotes to anything. We're good.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #60
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
I'm not your monkey dude.... And you don't provide any arguments other that thinks are fine.
Not sure what any of this means but if you check my post history you'd see that I have yet to even request a monkey.

Although, if I did. I would be much more specific and detailed in that request.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #61
vdubreeze

Quote:
Item Grouping?

Video
Maybe, but that hasn't worked for me because I don't want them grouped in any way other than to be pulled out as takes together. I don't want them to have any other links to each other, just, boom, they appear as a working set of disparate takes that I can return to. I thought maybe using item grouping with vol, muting, etc. down the line unchecked in the matrix might be it, but doesn't seem to be what I'm after. Again, not taking about playlists necessarily, just how to change the takes of many tracks in a large project in an elegant way in different combinations, without those items/tracks being grouped in any other way.

Even though this is veering out of FR territory, it's still my wondering if a feature I can't find does exist hidden somewhere, in a thread about takes features, but I'll be happy to continue elsewhere.

Last edited by vdubreeze; 02-15-2017 at 02:19 PM.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #62
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Maybe, but that hasn't worked for me because I don't want them grouped in any way other than to be pulled out as takes together. I don't want them to have any other links to each other, just, boom, they appear as a working set of disparate takes that I can return to. I thought maybe using item grouping with vol, muting, etc. down the line unchecked in the matrix might be it, but doesn't seem to be what I'm after.
Just turn Item Grouping OFF when you don't want them to behave that way.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #63
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
Not sure what any of this means but if you check my post history you'd see that I have yet to even request a monkey.

Although, if I did. I would be much more specific and detailed in that request.
That is stating the obvious in a attempt at being the clever and funny one here without providing any arguments. What that means goes beyond this forum…

Old 02-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #64
DrFrankencopter

Quote:

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "playlist" feature? Would it make comping easier?

My own request(s) for the 'takes' system would be
1) To have an option when loop record is on to automatically delete any take that isn't a full loop in length. Whenever I do loop record I always end up with a little bit of an extra take that I need to delete.
2) Add a record mode "auto-punch to punch markers", and allow me to define via markers a punch in/punch out point (or multiples). This way I can have time, loop, and item selections that are independent of my punch points.
3) Make the active take more easy to identify visually (maybe a border around it)...I find it can get confusing in a hurry, especially if the takes are in different color schemes.
4) Easy default mouse action to select active take. There's probably already a mouse modifier, or action for this, but just mentioning that it's a little frustrating out of the 'box'.

Cheers

Kris
Old 02-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #65
DrFrankencopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankencopter View Post
My own request(s) for the 'takes' system would be
1) To have an option when loop record is on to automatically delete any take that isn't a full loop in length. Whenever I do loop record I always end up with a little bit of an extra take that I need to delete.
It seems this feature already exists....hurrah! Apparently I need to RTFM more....

Cheers

Kris
Old 02-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #66
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
That is stating the obvious in a attempt at being the clever and funny one here without providing any arguments.
And that's because I have no interest in aguing with you or anyone on this topic.

I'm simply pointing out that you're not going to get any FR considered using your current methods.

If you disagree, keep making them. Just don't do it in that last bedroom at the end of the hall. That's where my monkey is sleeping and I fear you're going to wake him while you keep banging your head against the wall.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #67
Robert Johnson III

“And that's because I have no interest in aguing with you or anyone on this topic.”

Then please don’t….

“Just don't do it in that last bedroom at the end of the hall. That's where my monkey is sleeping and I fear you're going to wake him while you keep banging your head against the wall.”

There you go again…

Old 02-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #68
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "playlist" feature? Would it make comping easier?

Kris
It might. A Playlist would simply be the option of multiple playlists on each track.

Takes are based on Items. And because of that, they're limited to the size of each item. And whwn you split them, you create new items for each take. That's why it gets messy for most people. They don't want to deal with all of the Items and splits and extra pieces at the end.

Playlists would be completely separate from Items. One Playlist could have 1 Item while another has 500. They have no relationship to each other besides being on the same track.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #69
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Yes, I see it was a typo of mine in first sentence of post 30 but everywhere else I reference item selection correctly. Apologies! Especially after I was trying to be careful not to do that very thing.
No prob. I was just trying to help clear up the confusion.

Quote:
Me either, I feel I know it pretty darn well, including doing punch ins/dubs/and multiple takes with more complex things like bands and drum kits. I was just adding a small "If there were an FR I would add, this little addition would be helpful; and I would do a proper FR instead of venting session minus specifics".
But it seems to me like bFooz's suggestion does pretty much what you need, unless you're trying to use the time selection for something else. (???) If that is the case, I wonder if the whole thing about unlinking time selection from loop selection could help. (???) I just recently found out that something like Ctl+doubleclick on an item does the "set selection to item" so it's not really even any more moves than the way you describe. Probably I'm missing something important. Like I said, I don't generally use the autopunch functions at all.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #70
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
But it seems to me like bFooz's suggestion does pretty much what you need, unless you're trying to use the time selection for something else. (???) If that is the case, I wonder if the whole thing about unlinking time selection from loop selection could help. (???) I just recently found out that something like Ctl+doubleclick on an item does the "set selection to item" so it's not really even any more moves than the way you describe. Probably I'm missing something important. Like I said, I don't generally use the autopunch functions at all.
Good ideas... I happen to be familiar with them and do/will use for various reasons at various times. It was just the attraction of having the item(s) as the sole target without disconnecting loop/time selection etc or anything.

I should be clear, I don't feel broken.... it was just something I think would be cool so I could use that particular punch feature more but it's no deal breaker for me at all. I normally just 'go at it' (and don't really use punch) and clean up right after I'm done as part of my take evaluation workflow. I still need to try Kenny's new find as well but even then, it's not anything I'd ever lose sleep over.

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-15-2017 at 03:51 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #71
karbomusic

Quote:
It seems this feature already exists....hurrah! Apparently I need to RTFM more....

Cheers

Kris
I think that is fairly recent (well I've been here since 2009 recent) but I swear I just noticed that in the last insert_recent_period_here. It's a fantastic addition.

I can potentially give you methods/solutions to achieve much of 1-4 but won't be until later before I can, all may not be suitable but they might!

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-15-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #72
Lawrence

Holy crap, this went straight down the toilet.

I thought after he replied to my post about details that would end that part of it. Here's what he said below way back in post 20, sort of an admission of regret (?) but people still continually argue what happened before that, continually telling him to do what he already previously said he will do...

Quote:
I will be more thorough when posting requests like these
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #73
vdubreeze

Quote:
Just turn Item Grouping OFF when you don't want them to behave that way.

Kenny, maybe there's something that's hitting my intellectual blind spot, but that doesn't work because I do want item grouping (and track grouping) enabled during the time in question. Turning it off to avoid being linked aside from as takes isn't practical, as far as I can figure, in my own workflow.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #74
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Kenny, maybe there's something that's hitting my intellectual blind spot, but that doesn't work because I do want item grouping (and track grouping) enabled during the time in question. Turning it off to avoid being linked aside from as takes isn't practical, as far as I can figure, in my own workflow.
What is the other parameter you want to adjust that's part of Item Grouping that is separate from changing takes?

Quote:
I still need to try Kenny's new find as well but even then, it's not anything I'd ever lose sleep over.
Definitely check it out. It seems to do exactly what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Holy crap, this went straight down the toilet.
Well…

This thread started in the toilet and has roamed around the house getting a few other things done so…

What was the original question?

How do you properly create a feature request? I think Karbo explained it quite well.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #75
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
Well…

This thread started in the toilet and has roamed around the house getting a few other things done so…

What was the original question?

How do you properly create a feature request? I think Karbo explained it quite well.
I really thought we where done here… I’m afraid that on this subject you are responsible for the toilet part Kenny and by acting like this you are confirming the point Lawrence is making. To get so hung up on (my) blunt semantics that content has no meaning anymore and you are just acting up on what you think I’m supposed to do… (what was already previously discussed) Really??? This is getting weird dude….

Old 02-16-2017, 01:14 AM   #76
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Really??? This is getting weird dude….
What's weird is that you and Lawrence don't know how to let things go.

You said it was done. I was discussing other things and you guys still want to discuss the wrongness in "I don't even know what".

Write up a decent FR and we can stop discussing the fact that you created this thread without purpose.

Or not. Nobody really cares. I'm pretty sure we already have about 500 other feature requests asking for the same thing in a more constructive way.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #77
bFooz

Quote:
Selection sets...
There is also a time selection locking mode "Locking: Set time selection locking mode"
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:41 AM   #78
karbomusic

Quote:
what else do you want? FFS.
An FR.

That isn't OPs fault alone, part of it is me... I've reached the end of my rope of seeing these threads (in the FR forum) with zero useful info often NEVER followed up by the promised FR which means no DEV could ever do anything about it. If they want to say "but it's in the threads go find it yourself!" Which really means a bunch of nonsense like this one, no dev in his right mind is going to waste time trying to decode such messes. So blame me instead of kenny for that because from now on, someone bitches about takes, I'm going to challenge them to be specific then do this every single time...

As well as include my 2nd sentence in post #10 since details seem to be the plague around here.

You guys get used to it.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:42 AM   #79
bFooz

A feature from some other DAWS I find useful is the ability to expand takes to "take tracks", create a comp in a parent track by selecting parts of takes in those sub-tracks and then collapse them back.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #80
karbomusic

Quote:
I know. But people kept harping on his original mistake after he'd already kinda admitted it, way back. Like vultures.

That happens because the original post auto-engages "the defense gene", so they reply without bothering to read the thread first to see if that's already been corrected or settled. After he said ... "Thanks for the advice, I'll do better next time." ... the friendly thing to do is to maybe just say...

"Cool, thanks. You might want to edit the original post or make a new FR with more detail. "
If look back, yes and no, if we remove the expected 'only read the first post drive-by' posts, we moved on to other things a time or two - all those posts about selected item punch was my own side discussion that has nothing to do with the OP - the OP would occasionally reenter and post similarly as he did in the beginning which then causes a flurry of responses to what sounds like no desire whatsoever to actually make that proverbial FR.

Obligatory instructions so no one has to go looking.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=38883

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-16-2017 at 08:00 AM.