Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 02-14-2019, 05:26 AM   #1
dub3000
Human being with feelings

Default *NEW* remaincalm_org divide-down polyphonic pad/string synth and ensemble effect

Hi, I'd like to share some plugins I've been working on:

* A divide-down string synth, and
* An ensemble effect
(both roughly modeled on units within real instruments)

These are *beta*. Feedback is appreciated.

Instructions:
TLDR: insert the synth and ensemble, select "Premium 1978" preset in the synth, tweak from there.

Demo 1:
https://soundcloud.com/remaincalm/di...enture-excerpt

Demo 2:
https://soundcloud.com/remaincalm/sy...s-string-synth

DOWNLOAD LINK, extract to the usual place (includes presets):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12Q...0Y0vYEOdXlEPdt

---

The synth has two variable-waveshape, phase-locked oscillators w/ a blend function and per-note envelope, a single paraphonic resonant LPF filter, a single filter envelope.

Using the second oscillator, high polyphony, and some waveshape positions may cause high CPU usage. If you get crackles, reduce polyphony or drop the octave blend to 0.

Detailed instructions:
* The "waveshape" control sweeps from "filtered saw/pulse", to "saw", to "quantized saw", to "PW-variable square". Each of these correspond to methodologies used in real hardware (e.g. some synths used 2 or 3 additive squares to form a crude sawtooth - you can get that here with waveshape = 0.46 and tone above 0.8).
* "Octave blend" mixes root and root+12 oscillators (each can have a different waveshape)
* "Tone" sweeps a LPF from 35Hz to 12kHz
* "Tone amount" adds some of the envelope to the filter control
* "Attack", "Release" and "Sustain mode" control envelope behavior

Mod wheel controls a fixed vibrato.

There is noise and jitter and you can't turn it off. That's on purpose.

---

The ensemble is in its own plugin, and controls are simpler - mix, modulation amount, and model.
I'd recommend leaving mix and modulation at 100% and only messing with the model control.
Each model has a different delay-line configuration, EQ and overall sound.
Some of the models are totally invented, others ~match actual circuits.
There is a LOT of hiss, distortion, bass-cut and hum here. Most of the real units are much worse.

----

Known issues:

* Envelope code is srate-dependent and also a bit dodgy. Sorry. Just use 44kHz.
* Vibrato can get janky on some waveshapes. Can't fix it without burning even more CPU, and it's really hungry already (particularly the quanitzed saw).

----

Thanks and gratitude to Tale for his great reference code, Acreil (maybe not on this forum?) for excellent material on exotic synth internals, Justin for hints and an excellent prototyping environment.

Last edited by dub3000; 02-14-2019 at 06:34 AM.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #2
sai'ke

Lovely sounding demos. Look forward to taking this one for a spin.

Thanks a lot for this!

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-14-2019 at 08:40 AM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #3
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I'm definitely going to check this out. I'm a huge fan of string machines. My favourite is the Roland RS202.
I recently added these to my keyboard rig. Both have gorgeous string machines built in.

Yamaha D85 Electone.

Elka Artist 606 (Jean-Michel Jarre used the 707 which has the same string section and ensemble)
Old 02-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
dub3000

Oh, those are really lovely! I wish I had the space for some of those larger ones.

I have a couple of nice units here. There's a RS-505, a JVC KB-700, and I had a Yamaha SK10 for a while. The Roland ends up on almost every recording I make, such a great synth.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #5
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Elka Artist 606 (Jean-Michel Jarre used the 707 which has the same string section and ensemble)
Was just skimming the schematic for the Elka 707. Really interesting! There's a 2 BBD chorus and the brass filter looks like a Moog-style ladder filter (?).

Might model the chorus in SPICE and see what the waveforms and filters etc are. Videos of it sound really nice.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:27 AM   #6
Vagelis

It sounds sooooo good!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:36 AM   #7
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
It sounds sooooo good!
Thanks!!
Old 02-15-2019, 02:42 AM   #8
egoplasma

Default Cool!

Wow! Cool! Thanks so much...Greetings from Hildesheim!
egoplasma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
dub3000

So, I'm a big fan of keeping controls simple where I can, and I'm interested if people have thoughts on whether I should expand this at all.

Specifically, does it need any of:
* Waveshape LFO
* Filter LFO
* Filter Env also goes negative
* Osc mix envelope

Also curious if the preset filter resonance and cutoff tuning is ok? I wanted it to have a characteristic sound more than ultimate flexibility.

Cheers!

Last edited by dub3000; 02-15-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #10
Tobbe

Sounds fantastic. Thumbs up!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #11
TonE

Thanks for sharing, yes, second example gets closer. The bass notes sound, do not know how to describe, rounder? Could airwindows plugs behind it help here? Just for testing, if airwindows can help getting closer? It could be used as workaround until then.

Did you create also other synths/tools? Could you share a few more examples, of first, RS505, mainly its input midi and audio out, then we could experiment here as well, current + airwindows, trying to get closer? Only if you want.

divide_down_synth and behind it filther, hmm

EDIT: just played a bit, a few observations.
-liked: root waveshape = 1 = max
-octave waveshape = very slowly modulating
-playing long 4 bar chord notes
-tone seems to be the filter cutoff, could be replaced by filther, set to 0.6
-sustain mode: pizzicato, wow, sounds great, can be used if you use shorter notes
-octave blend: could be slowly modulated between 0.2 .. 0.4 (more not necessary somehow), at least with my current chord
-did not check any other parameters yet

Last edited by TonE; 02-20-2019 at 11:36 AM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:29 AM   #12
dub3000

Hey, thanks. Some of my other JS plugins ship with reaper - Floaty, Avocado, Paranoia are the main ones, I think. They're ageing pretty badly but might still be useful.

This one is a bit of a prototype for a proper optimised VST I am thinking of building, but the JS environment is great for tuning sounds.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:35 AM   #13
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
Was just skimming the schematic for the Elka 707. Really interesting! There's a 2 BBD chorus and the brass filter looks like a Moog-style ladder filter (?).

Might model the chorus in SPICE and see what the waveforms and filters etc are. Videos of it sound really nice.
Yeah. The Moog ladder filter in these is pretty cool. I'm planning to add some extra hardware features to these (the 606 & D85) and at the top of my mod list is to add controls to fine tune the ensemble sections.
I'm also planning to add extra audio patch points to include inputs and outputs directly between the Leslie speaker amps, the various tone generator stages and the ensemble i/o. I have two other Hammond organs here with Leslie speakers and am planning to link the speed controls of all four Leslies together and run short delays between the cabinets to create a 3D Leslie speaker that I'll mic up and record in Ambisonics.

I still haven't had a chance to test your plugin yet though. I'm in the process of renovating my studio so haven't had time in front of REAPER yet to experiment. I'll get to it shortly though.