Old 03-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
Tiggerdyret
Human being with feelings

Default I can't record my mod wheel. Any help?

I'm messing with some synths and the mod wheel works perfectly fine, when I turn it. But it doesn't record the CC info. It simple does nothing. I can draw in the wheel in the midi editor or change the sound with the wheel itself, but not record it from my midi controller. How do I fix this?
It's sending from this channel: Channel: 1, Number: 1 (Modulation Wheel (coarse)), Value: 0.
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:16 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Automation gets written as opposed to recorded. You only need to turn on automation writing for the project or track, hit play and mess with your wheel. I assume you're trying to hit record instead? Because that won't work.

There's global automation on the transport bar. Latch is the mode that works best for me and I generally do my automation while looping.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:23 AM   #3
Tiggerdyret

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Automation gets written as opposed to recorded. You only need to turn on automation writing for the project or track, hit play and mess with your wheel. I assume you're trying to hit record instead? Because that won't work.

There's global automation on the transport bar. Latch is the mode that works best for me and I generally do my automation while looping.
That doesn't seem to work either. How do you setup up the automation to be controlled by the wheel? I'm not writing automation though. I'm writing midi CC notes, so it should just add it to the midi item, when I've enabled overdub mode. It worked perfectly fine on my last project, so I most have changed something without knowing.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:30 AM   #4
Stella645

Yep....Mod wheel is sending midi cc, not automation data and of course you can record it just by hitting record.

If you set up a new track and try to record both notes and mod wheel at once does it record? Maybe the error is something in the overdub/take settings.

If I record here I get first take notes and mod wheel....2nd take mod wheel only appears as a second lane.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:49 AM   #5
foxAsteria

Erp. Sorry for wrong info. Dunno what I was thinking about... Well maybe your controller is outputting wrong cc number and perhaps you can edit it back to cc #1 in the controller?
Old 03-28-2018, 03:52 AM   #6
DarkStar

Have a look at the attached project. It demonstrates both methods of control

>>> https://i.imgur.com/3Yn7zPc.png

Track 1 has MIDI Logger and ReaSynth on it; the Detune control on ReaSynth is "MIDI Linked" to the Mod Wheel. To receive ModWheel messages from your keyboard, the track needs to be RecArmed.

Track 2 (currently Muted) has ReaSynth on it; the Detune control on ReaSynth is "MIDI Learned" to the Mod Wheel. To be controlled by the ModWheel, the Preferences for the keyboard device need to be set to Input+Control.

I have already recorded some automation onto the Detune envelope (set the track Automation mode to "Write", click Play and move the ModWheel). The track is now set to "Read" so on playback the recorded automation will be used to change the parameter.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MW_Control_01.zip (2.3 KB, 96 views)
Old 03-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #7
Tiggerdyret

@Stella - Thanks, that was it. I just had to hit the keyboard once and then delete that note afterwards.

@Fox - NP, you were just trying to help

@Dark - Stella's tip fixed it, so I'm going with the simplest solution, but I might take a look at your pic for future reference. Thanks anyway