Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-23-2022, 12:02 PM   #1
clepsydrae
Human being with feelings

Default Couple things about very loud 32bit FP items and normalization

Not sure which of these are real bugs, but I will list them as such...

Bug #1: probably unrelated to the item, but:

- in Linux, latest pre but presumably unrelated to pre's
- select item, hit F2, go to the volume/pan line to manually enter a dB value
- enter value <144dB (e.g. "-145"), hit enter
- it shows as "-inf dB"
- enter another value <144 dB, say "-145", hit enter
- this time it leaves the text as "-145" until reaper loses focus, at which point it changes to "-inf dB"

Bug #2: that dialog seems to be processing the "enter" keystroke twice: it enters the dB value into the field, but also triggers the "Apply" button via the same keystroke.

Bug #3: when the dialog is focused, the "Take media source" field says "2ch 0:03.936 : test3.wav". When reaper loses focus, the field changes to "1ch : test3.wav" (and yeah, if media items are not offlined via pref setting, this does not happen, so presumably it's just a bug in the string generation).

Question/FR: why are there no "calculate loudness of selected items" or "calculate loudness of selected items including take FX" actions? IOW, why is it mandatory to include the track FX/settings and use a dry-run render in that calculation? For me, 90% of the time I run an action like that on an item, I just want the item information, and not to include the track or even item FX.

Suggestion: this item peaks at 200 dBFS (I was testing an ffmpeg bug unrelated to reaper). When it's normalized in the arrange view, it shows as "-inf" and in the item properties as -inf. This is obviously a rarely-happens-in-real-life case, but it would be nice if at least the media item properties didn't do the "everything <144 is shown as -inf" thing. I.e. show the real value. I'd actually appreciate that in the arrange view as well, but presumably you have reasons for "-inf" or you wouldn't have implemented it. :-)
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote