Old 01-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
stephen
Human being with feelings

Default bidule rewire and reaper

hi

i just bought reaper and i want to thank the developer for his generous work.

my problem is that i am using reaper (as well as ableton live and max/msp) rewired to plogue bidule. when reaper is not rewired i can smoothly tab from application page to application page. this works well. when i add reaper or simply rewire reaper alone, i get a gui freeze and bidule will not display it's gui for 10 or more seconds...sometimes not at all (also there can be audible clicks). i'm using a pentium m laptop with 1 gig of ram, windows xp sp2. i've dropped this message here, because i have not had a gui problem with bidule until i attempted to rewire reaper, though i will also forward this message to the bidule forum.

thanks for your help
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
stephen

just to add a bit more...

i'm using a presonus firebox. when i set the latency to 25 ms, the audio clicking stops, but again bidule will not open it's gui without several attempts being made. back down to 10-12 ms and the audio clicking starts again. if i take reaper out of the equation everything works fine, audio and gui aspects, with any combination of bidule, max/msp, live, and several various vst effects. i should also mention that i am using a new empty reaper project while making the switch from one window to the next.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
stephen

simialr gui/audio clicks when i use ableton live as master instead of bidule, though any combination without reaper works perfectly.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
malcolmj

Hi Stephen,

Which version of Bidule are you using?

Have you made any changes to the default Preference settings of REAPER?

What do you have selected as the Audio Device in REAPER Preferences?

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
stephen

hi

i've tried bidule .9305 and .9306

no changes inside reaper with the exception of switching to the asio presonus driver (of course, this setting not available when in rewire slave mode, but this is the driver i use whether bidule or live are master). i've tried different buffer sizes within the presonus control panel, but no real luck fixing gui issue and audio crackling is pretty consistant. i'd blame it on not having a dedicated gpu, but it doesn't seem to happen even with complex combinations that don't involve reaper.

i just tried ableton rewired to bidule alone again. i can flip back and forth between bidule and live as fast as i can hit alt-tab, back and forth with no gui or audio glitch. as soon as i add an empty reaper project the trouble starts.

Last edited by stephen; 01-17-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:29 AM   #6
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
i've tried bidule .9305 and .9306
OK,

I tried the x64 version, but it didn't work on my x64 system (which is my main computer). It failed to detect any of my ReWire devices, so I installed the XP version on another machine.

I confirm the GUI problem that you are experiencing with the XP version.

Would it be possible to post a small Bidule Project file (using the default modules) that I can use to test audio?

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
stephen

thanks for looking into this.

here is an example patch for audio testing. a simple sound generator with arp. just double click on the bidule mixer to raise the master volume...
Attached Files
File Type: zip synth.zip (4.4 KB, 332 views)
Old 01-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
here is an example patch for audio testing. a simple sound generator with arp. just double click on the bidule mixer to raise the master volume...
Thanks Stephen.

I confirm the audio dropouts you're experiencing with REAPER enabled as a ReWire device, and the fact that it doesn't happen with FL Studio. I'd suggest raising a new post in the Bug Reports section with a link back to this thread.

Justin/Christophe:

This one is easy to repro -

1. Open the sample Project in Bidule XP (available from http://www.plogue.com/index.php?opti...electcat&cat=1)
2. Load REAPER as a ReWire plugin (right-click on the main Bidule window and select ReWire devices > REAPER).
3. Tab to REAPER and zoom in/out Vertically. The audio from Bidule (which starts playing automatically when you launch the Project) will drop out when zooming. Note that this only happens on vertical zoom. Horizontal zoom is fine.
4. Remove REAPER and add FL Studio.
5. Zoom vertically in FL Studio - audio from Bidule keeps playing without dropouts.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:14 AM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj View Post
Thanks Stephen.

I confirm the audio dropouts you're experiencing with REAPER enabled as a ReWire device, and the fact that it doesn't happen with FL Studio. I'd suggest raising a new post in the Bug Reports section with a link back to this thread.

Justin/Christophe:

This one is easy to repro -

1. Open the sample Project in Bidule XP (available from http://www.plogue.com/index.php?opti...electcat&cat=1)
2. Load REAPER as a ReWire plugin (right-click on the main Bidule window and select ReWire devices > REAPER).
3. Tab to REAPER and zoom in/out Vertically. The audio from Bidule (which starts playing automatically when you launch the Project) will drop out when zooming. Note that this only happens on vertical zoom. Horizontal zoom is fine.
4. Remove REAPER and add FL Studio.
5. Zoom vertically in FL Studio - audio from Bidule keeps playing without dropouts.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Hmm for me other hosts don't host REAPER too well as a slave (likely because REAPER is using the inter-process API that comes with ReWire, rather than just loading into the host's process as FL studio does).. but REAPER can host the others and itself very well...

Does anybody have a problem hosting bidule in REAPER?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:22 AM   #10
Justin
Administrator

hmm actually if you turn off renderahead in reaper then it's slow hosting itself too...

if we enable one frame of latency (i.e. you send a midi event and get it back the next block) for reaper slave, we could get it going a lot faster I'd imagine...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #11
stephen

hello justin

just checked the site and noticed an update concerning the rewire slave mode. i'll give it a shot tonight...thanks for your efforts!

stephen
Old 01-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #12
stephen

thanks so much for the quick fix, justin.

rewire slave mode is working really well now.

stephen
Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 AM   #13
HighVoltage

how do i slave REAPER to cubase?
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:08 AM   #14
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post