Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #41
Padre_PC
Human being with feelings

harry600: can you please try this: close Reaper, remove the .dll, start Reaper, close again, paste the .dll, start Reaper and Add the CSurf.

Between versions I've been changing the "config string" Reaper is using, maybe it's trying to force an old "config string" into a new version of the plugin.

merdave: thanks, I'll make the Nocturn mappings soon.

Last edited by Padre_PC; 09-25-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Padre_PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #42
harry600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre_PC View Post
harry600: can you please try this: close Reaper, remove the .dll, start Reaper, close again, paste the .dll, start Reaper and Add the CSurf.

Between versions I've been changing the "config string" Reaper is using, maybe it's trying to force an old "config string" into a new version of the plugin.

merdave: thanks, I'll make the Nocturn mappings soon.
Sorry this solution doesn´t work :-( Reaper crashes. I will send you the error log from Windows. Can you send me your PM?

Last edited by harry600; 09-26-2009 at 07:57 AM.
harry600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #43
Padre_PC

Great news: it's official I've now became a Reaper user. Thanks to Justin!!!

No donations needed, here's the real thing, with new features & unlimited tracks:

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csurf_automap.dll

I'm cleaning up + documenting source code to make it public ASAP.

Don't forget about the "Novation Automap: ..." actions: new stuff in here too.

New: a beta "Select FX" + "FX Param1" implementation for RemoteSL mappings. Can you people tell me how it works for you? The FX UI responds very slowly to "FX Param1" changes on my setup (I tried with Cockos VST & JS FXs). How about the Alphatrack CSurf, I know it has a similar 3-knob FX setting: does it interact with the UI that slowly too? I'd like to know if it comes from my plugin or if Reaper/FXs behaves this way with any CSurf. I've made VSTs with MIDI-In in the past for another DAW they were responding quite slowly too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry600 View Post
Sorry this solution doesn´t work :-( Reaper crashes. I will send you the error log from Windows. Can you send me your PM?
Can you please try the new version and give me your feedback? I've modified a few things to ensure memory-safe operations, maybe one of those was the culprit. I've played all day long with this version without any crash (the other ones never crashed on me either though).

Go to my profile -> contact info -> send PM.

Novation device? Reaper version? Windows version? Service pack? etc. Please give me as many details as you can.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #44
wellieman

Padre_PC,

Some more feedback. Firstly, the Alphatrack is working great. I personally prefer the original functionality of the third row (Track>/<, Loop and Flip), which you have now restored. And the rest of the buttons are now programmable x2. So thanks for that.

Secondly I've had a good play with the Automap iPhone mod. Basically the functions all work but there a few issues and strange behaviours of the display. Plus we only have partial two-way communication working. I've sent you a PM describing the issues in more detail.

To help you there are some screenshots attached below.

Now, this testing was done on the previous versions, before your most recent update. Great news about your becoming a licence holder. I appreciate trying to update the code to work with an iPhone is difficult without having one - perhaps you can strike a similar deal with Apple or Novation to give you one for testing....!

Best Regards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iPhone_Automap4.jpg (70.1 KB, 488 views)
wellieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #45
wellieman

Padre_PC: Further feedback on your latest mod - "the real thing". With my Remote 25SL everything looks good, all new functions are working well and it now picks up all tracks. Very nice indeed - already leaps and bounds ahead of the Partial HUI implementation we've had previously.

I find that the FX Param1 actually works very smoothly with nice, fine adjustment steps and the UI keeps up instantaneously. I don't appear to have any of the problems you have reacting slowly. In fact it is better than the Alphatrack which has coarser parameter control, albeit with instant reaction.

The only thing is that it is only 1-way comminication: any tweaks on FX Param1 in Reaper isn't reflected in the Remote SL display. Of course I appreciate this is work-in-progress, but looking very good so far....
Old 09-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #46
merdave

Possible bug report: Vista x64 Reaper 32 Nocturn

I loaded your new plugin, selected it in Surface Controls (BCF 2000 and HUI(partial) were already selected). I left the RemoteSI selection checked in the dialog. I do not have a RemoteSI but a noctrun is plugged in. Reaper crashed. Reaper never crashed using the demo version.

Possible solution: code a graceful exit if the selected Automap device is not plugged in or if a Automap device is plugged in and the wrong device is selected or if no Automap device is plugged in.

The Nocturn is greyed out so this may automatically be corrected when the mapping is completed?
merdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:28 AM   #47
jaimun

Default Nocturn

Congratulations for your license, you sure deserve it!
I am waiting for a Nocturn 25, as soon as it arrives I'll begin testing this lovely automap-reaper-addon.
jaimun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #48
Padre_PC

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Rev11 is out:

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu...omap_rev11.dll

I've started versioning (for obvious reasons). The first url will always be updated with the last revision, I'll edit post#1 accordingly.

I've made changes to the dialog box, some of which I hope were causing the crashes. harry600/merdave please let me know + if it still crashes can you try with the "global page(s)" option unchecked? I truly hope I'm not getting into 64-bit trouble. I'm using Windows XP by the way (32-bit).

I've also temporary removed Play/Stop/Fn1/Fn2 on Track Pages for the iPhone mappings: the current code cannot assign the same function to multiple Automap parameters properly.

wellieman: I'll check you PM after this post. About FX Param1 not reflecting in the Remote SL display, can you please try with a Cockos VST such as "ReaCompressor"? I suspect the function I'm using to update RemoteSL display is based on Cockos' VST extensions. Not 100% sure.

Current priorities:

- Solving crashes reported by harry600 & merdave
- Add Nocturn mapping

Last edited by Padre_PC; 09-27-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #49
harry600

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Rev11 is out:

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu...omap_rev11.dll

I've started versioning (for obvious reasons). The first url will always be updated with the last revision, I'll edit post#1 accordingly.

I've made changes to the dialog box, some of which I hope were causing the crashes. harry600/merdave please let me know + if it still crashes can you try with the "global page(s)" option unchecked? I truly hope I'm not getting into 64-bit trouble. I'm using Windows XP by the way (32-bit).

I've also temporary removed Play/Stop/Fn1/Fn2 on Track Pages for the iPhone mappings: the current code cannot assign the same function to multiple Automap parameters properly.

wellieman: I'll check you PM after this post. About FX Param1 not reflecting in the Remote SL display, can you please try with a Cockos VST such as "ReaCompressor"? I suspect the function I'm using to update RemoteSL display is based on Cockos' VST extensions. Not 100% sure.

Current priorities:

- Solving crashes reported by harry600 & merdave
- Add Nocturn mapping

Padre it seems that, from my side, the problem with crashing Reaper is solved. Currently i am using the version previous your last post (not the version with the versioning). I assume it is a problem with my current Reaper Song. When i load an empty song and add some VSTi´s Reaper doesnt crash. I play arround with the VSTi´s switch from the Global Menu to the Mixer View... No crashes.
Before using your tool i have used the HUI Mode from Reaper. Not shure whether this causes the crashes. From my side the problem is solved.

Btw i am using Windows XP (32bit) SP2.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #50
musicbynumbers

can't wait to try this out and the alphatrack one! might even make me use the novation more!

I actually use it just for automap mode and also the midimap function of automap to allow me to do things like zoom and scroll plus the metronome level and the solo in place level plus scrub. Works really well

I've always found the hui implement poo so this is great to have this in there!

still waiting for my graphics cards to arrive so still cant test yet!

Keep up the good work though!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #51
merdave

Using the new revision in a new project with only one track with no FX and the "Assign first pages(s) to global parameters" unchecked, no problems.

Doing the same with a complex project with folders and FX, Reaper hangs when "fading away" occurs.

Will investigate more today when I have time.

Good work so far! The Reaper community will benefit from your efforts.

When jaimun gets his new Nocturn and if he's running Vista x32, that will help with debugging.

Last edited by merdave; 09-27-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #52
jnastic

Thanks Padre.

This is a great project.

Until now, everything works just fine for me.

I can't wait to see what's next.

Reaper 3.11
Novation ReMote Zero SL
Windows XP (32-bit)
jnastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #53
merdave

Your revision seems to working just fine with Automapped FX in Nocturn. Pages 1, 2 and 3 are also working in the mixer except that T2, T3 and T4 are not labeled properly in all 3 pages.

I did encounter a strange bug when titling a Reaper track in 3.11. When I titled the track "KontaktPlayer2 with Automap" Reaper stopped working but when I tried again with "KontaktP with Automap" there was no problem. Seems to be a bug concerning the length of the title.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:51 AM   #54
Padre_PC

Quote:
Yep, looks like it:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=43330
Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #55
Padre_PC

Revision 13 is out...

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu...omap_rev13.dll

- Nocturn mappings! (hope I did this right)

- Good news: I think we're safe now! One function was not working the way I thought it would and it's likely to be the origin of crashes due to long filenames/tracknames (damn you sprintf_s(), you're not "_s" at all !)

- Small RemoteSL mapping bug corrected

- Better performance regarding endless encoders (track select, zoom, etc)

harry600/merdave you let me know ok?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #56
merdave

Here's what I've got for you.

1. Pages are in groups of 3. However, I have 16 tracks which would require 2 groups (6 pages) but 9 pages were presented. Decrementing your group counter by 1 should solve this.

2. Pans were on the buttons rather than the knobs (page 1).

3. Everything else looks good.

4. It does respond to changes made with BCF2000.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:57 AM   #57
Document02

Default Great!

A few suggestions for those who want to use a ReMote both in Cockos Reaper & in Propellerhead Reason. (Don't know for Nocturn)

Automap 3.2 has the ReMote deals with Reason only through Automap. The Reason ReMote does not work anymore.
Solution is to install Automap 3.1, which has Reason ReMote support (template 37 on a ReMote Zero SL), then install Automap 3.2.

You can then switch from Reaper to Reason by going through templates 37 & 38. Additionally Reason automation will run much better, smoother, faster when in ReMote mode than through Automap.

Last edited by Document02; 09-29-2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: typo
Document02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #58
Padre_PC

Rev 16 is out!

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu...omap_rev16.dll

Bug fixes:

- Nocturn mapping
- Faulty pan labels since last rev ("xxR" instead of "xx%R" and "xx" instead of "xx%L"
- Bugs on track select encoder when mouse-selecting non-mixer track in mixer view mode (what kind of a maniac would do that? )

Current priorities:

- Play/Loop/Rec/etc display bug on iPhone mappings
- Heavy beta-testing before opening source code

Has anyone experienced crashes or anything nasty since last rev? (except for faulty Nocturn mappings)
Old 09-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #59
merdave

Here are the first 5 pages from rev 16.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg page1.jpg (35.5 KB, 481 views)
File Type: jpg page2.jpg (45.7 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg page3.jpg (43.8 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg page4.jpg (37.0 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg page5.jpg (44.5 KB, 419 views)
Old 09-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #60
Padre_PC

Gloups... sorry merdave I think/hope I got the Nocturn mappings right yesterday but forgot to commit these changes to Rev16 (did I say I need some sleep? )

Rev17 is for today then, thanks for your patience
Old 09-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #61
harry600

Padre minutes ago i tested Rev. 16 and i have to say it works. Yeah, yeah, yeah it works. No crashes anymore. And the icing on the cake...all the transport controls on my Remote Zero SL works now also...brilliant.
All my thumbs up for Padre. Thank you very much.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #62
Padre_PC

Thanks harry, glad to hear it's now working for you!

Rev17 is out:

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu...omap_rev17.dll

Bug fixes:

- Nocturn mapping (merdave?)
- Corrected FX Select (was buggy since Rev16)
- iPhone Start/Stop/Rec display bugs (wellieman?)

Is anyone still experiencing crashes, incorrect mappings, etc. ? (except for FX Select/Param1 which are still beta)

Next:

- Open source code if Rev17 is stable (+upload doxygen documentation)
- Implement new design for "easy mapping" and multi-parameters controls (e.g. global controls on track pages)
Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #63
musicbynumbers

That easy mapping sounds amazing! Still unable to test as waiting for graphics cards still
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #64
recccp

Hi Padre!
Thx for this! Its way better than HUI. Works fine with my ReMOTE 37SL & Automap 3.2

I changed the Control Map as I like it for the first 32 tracks and set as default, but when I hit the rec arm button on the screen or on the SL its always reload your default Control Map. All other buttons/sliders/knobs/encoders works fine.

Last edited by recccp; 02-20-2012 at 11:12 AM.
recccp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #65
Padre_PC

recccp: mapping is dynamic, you cannot change that. It will automatically change/reset on track add/delete/title change, project load, etc.

musicbynumbers: "easy mapping" is actually for people using the source code, not just the dll. New features started to make the previous design (Rev17) too complicated, I had to change it.

Rev25 is out:

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu...omap_rev25.dll

Mapping code partly rewritten.
Advantages of new design: per-Track Page Play/Stop/Rec buttons are back on the iPhone mapping. Possibility to duplicate global controls such as zoom/track select/etc on RemoteSL Track Pages while keeping everything in sync display-wise.

If mappings are correct and plugin stable for everybody I'll be ready to open source code.

Last edited by Padre_PC; 09-30-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #66
wellieman

Hi Padre, looks like you've been very busy with all this coding.!

Anyway, a report back on how the iPhone works with rev25.

The Master vol/pan/mute/solo control Reaper fine but two-way communication is lost so any changes to these in Reaper are not picked up on iPhone display.

Now the good news, the individual tracks' volume/pan/solo/mute/arm are now working correctly with two-way communication. Very nice indeed.

Regarding the button behaviour pretty much unchanged. That is when button 5 is pressed (stop on main page and play on tracks' page) buttons 4 and 6 black out. They still work correctly but just toggle between black and grey.

But overall a definite step in the right direction, just a few minor tweaks remaining until we reach perfection.

Just to reiterate: great work, very much appreciated indeed.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #67
bluzkat

@Padre PC,

I've been trying to follow this thread. I've got a Nocturn that I use with Automap 3 pro, what will this .dll do for me? Sorry I'm being so thick, but I'm interested in what this will accomplish. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #68
merdave

Hate to be a pain but the pan is still on the buttons, not knobs (page 1).

Also, the Nocturn no longer echoes any changes made through BFC2000.

Isn't debugging fun!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #69
Guod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
@Padre PC,

I've been trying to follow this thread. I've got a Nocturn that I use with Automap 3 pro, what will this .dll do for me? Sorry I'm being so thick, but I'm interested in what this will accomplish. Thanks.
Ive just bought a SL mkII and have thus suddenly become intensely interested Automap.
I was wondering the same thing?

Are there any resources to help provide background (I suppose the Automap pdf manual is a good start)?
Guod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #70
Padre_PC

@bluzkat, Guod3: see post#1. The .dll is a Control Surface plugin: once it's installed in Reaper and the "Automap" template selected on your Novation device, a new "Mixer" preset should appear in the Automap server. This preset gives you control of various things under Reaper, such as Play/Stop/Rec/Ffw/Rwd, Volume/Pan/Mute controls on every track etc.

Have a look a "Plugin Automap" examples in Novation manuals, this should give you a good idea.

@everyone reading this thread: the plugin is still under beta-testing, your feedback is most welcome. I only have a RemoteSL at home, if you have another device I need your help to make it work.

@merdave: Damn! Debugging IS fun! (grrr...) Are Nocturn mappings wrong with both 'global pages' settings? (checked and unchecked)

@wellieman: Master vol/pan/etc. communication should be solved easily I think, look out for next Rev. "Play" should disable "Stop" and "Rec", "Rec" should disable "Stop" and enable "Play", etc. Does it look like this on the iPhone? I thought enable/disable would look red/grey on the iPhone, if disabled buttons are completely blacked out and you can't read the function's name anymore it's just useless: in that case I'll revert back to grey-only buttons.

Last edited by Padre_PC; 09-30-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #71
Padre_PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdave View Post
Also, the Nocturn no longer echoes any changes made through BFC2000.
With Rev25?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:24 PM   #72
Padre_PC

@merdave: I don't understand, I've run Rev25 with Nocturn mappings using both global page(s) options and compared to the ParamIdTool screenshots you sent me they look good (???)

Can you please create/open a project with at least 12 tracks and send me screenshots of the 3 first Automap server pages?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #73
Padre_PC

@wellieman: nevermind, I've found a culprit. Global controllers within track pages are not refreshed properly. Next Rev I hope they will.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:53 AM   #74
merdave

I forgot to go back and select Nocturn instead of RemoteSL in the Dialog! Sorry!

Attached pics below; global unchecked.

BCF2000 is responding to the Nocturn input.

1. there are 5 pages for the 16 tracks in the project so disregard my suggestion to decrement the group counter.

Again, I am so sorry for my stupid mistake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg page1.jpg (46.3 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg page2.jpg (46.7 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg page3.jpg (48.1 KB, 372 views)
Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #75
Padre_PC

Ok then Nocturn mapping is right this time, good news!

Rev26 is out!

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csurf_automa.dll
http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu...omap_rev26.dll

- Bug fixes
- Selected Track Vol/Pan/etc + FX control on global page for RemoteSL
- Clean source code, should make it easy to change mappings

I'm in love with the RemoteSL mapping now: really very nice!

Any crash?
Any bug?
Anything?
iPhone, Nocturn, MKII, RemoteSL, WinXP, Vista, Win7, 32-bit, 64-bit, etc. please report!

Next:
- Track Send controls on RemoteSL ("FX Select"-like)
- Thinking about a dedicated FX Automap preset for the "Inst" and "FX" pages. Similar to Novation's plugin wrapper but without needing the "<name> (automap).dll" duplicates.

Cockos:
I may have found a bug, see you in dev forum

Last edited by Padre_PC; 10-01-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #76
Padre_PC

@wellieman: are those iPhone Play/Stop buttons working now?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #77
jnastic

Padre, are both files the same ? Do I need both or just the Revised version will work fine ?

Thanks. And don't stop the good work. I'll it out tonight.
jnastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #78
sfb

Wow, I just came across this thread and have been putting up with the HUI interface for far too long. Thanks for creating this plugin!

Is there any way to toggle the FX bypass of a track or a particular FX?

Also, when I try to record arm a track, Automap completely crashes.

Novation ReMOTE SL
Windows XP SP3
Reaper 3.11

Thanks!

- sfb
sfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:07 AM   #79
kelldammit

now that you seem to have most of this stuff sorted out, may i be so bold as to ask for some love for us remote sl compact users?
a couple of minor issues to report:
when starting reaper, automap does indeed start, but for whatever reason goes only to the hui control template. you have to go to reaper prefs, and edit the controller (you just open the edit window, and close it again, that seems to be enough) for it to start working again.
there are some other things with various parts of the interface and buttons that can be weird too. your attention would be GREATLY appreciated!

k

-OR-

feed the children. preferably to starving wild animals.
kelldammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:08 AM   #80
Padre_PC

@jnastic: Yes, they are the same. "_rev" naming is used for backup and beta-testing, while "reaper_csurf_automap.dll" is always updated with the last revision.

@sfb: Automap is crashing, not Reaper? Are you sure you don't get caught in a MIDI feedback loop when recarming? Try this: disable all RemoteSL MIDI in/out in Reaper and try again. Reminder: only "SL Port1" is used for MIDI data, Port2/3 are used for Automap (cf RemoteSL manual). Please let me know, you are the last crash report.

Rev30 is out!

http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu...omap_rev30.dll

New RemoteSL mappings:
- FX Bypass
- "Arrow" encoder
- Track Send / Hardware Send control

Last edited by Padre_PC; 10-02-2009 at 08:00 AM.