Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Misterbg3
Human being with feelings

Default How to align pre-made tempo envelope with new loaded midi without dragging?

Hello,

I have a tempo envelope with pre-set points and I need to load a midi into
reaper but have the tempo envelope immediately align with the midi.
When I drag the midi to the tempo envelopes length, all the tempos become
completely wrong.
How could I open a midi into the new tempo envelope and still reserve all the tempos
in the envelope without manually stretching?

Thank you!

Last edited by Misterbg3; 05-30-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Misterbg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
SonicAxiom

Maybe try importing the MIDI after changing the options in PREFERENCES -> MEDIA -> MIDI.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Misterbg3

The preferences don't appear to have any options related to what I need. What change are you recommending?
Thanks
Old 07-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
SonicAxiom

In particular, I'm referring to the option "Always prompt to import tempo from MIDI files with simple tempo maps". This option may have an influence on how the imported MIDI behaves with regard to your existing tempo map. But I'm only guessing. Or maybe I'm misunderstandig your whole issue

Old 07-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
Misterbg3

Changing that option didn't have an effect. Ill try to be more descriptive.
I have two midiss - one with a tempo map, one without.
I need to take the tempo from the one that has it, and align it precisely, from beginning to end, with the midi that has no tempo map. (I make sure to delete its tempo map.)
I tried two things:
Loading the midi that has the tempo map that I need, deleting the midi item (Leaving the tempo map in place) and loading the midi track that I need to align to it. This midi happens to be shorter than the time envelope/map so they do not align from beginning to end. I tried dragging the item to make it longer and align it with the tempo map, but this causes the item's tempos to change.

the second thing I tried was copying all the points on the tempo envelope, deleting the entire file, loading the new midi, and posting the copied points on it. This results in the same issue - misalignment as the tempo envelope may be 3 minutes long, while the new midi is 2 minutes long.

Thanks for your time
Old 07-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
SonicAxiom

- is the project timebase (or track time-base) set to "time" or "beats"? When set to beats, a MIDI item should stretch accoring to the respective tempo changes.

- is the MIDI item shorter only because the tempo-map hasn't yet been applied to it? Should it then fit the entire time? For instance, do both MIDI items have the same length of XX measures?

Old 07-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
Misterbg3

When I changed the project time-base to 'beats only', It loaded the midi file
almost in sync with the tempo map (A small success!) but still a bit off for some reason.
Both files have an equal number of measures and same time signatures.
Basically, the midis both contain the same music, but one has all the tempo changes that I need. So one of them is shorter than the other (As it doesn't contain the
ritardandos and such). The tempo map is applied, but since they are not aligned, wrong tempo changes happen at the wrong times.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
SonicAxiom

basically, I imagined that you will get both files in sync that way. If there's a small offset (which is strange), it may work to disable snapping and then slightly nudge the MIDI item until its starting point (the first MIDI notes) is correct. All the rest should then stay in sync by automatically stretching appropriately. You may then re-enable snapping and cut off the excess part of the item exactly at the start of the first measure.

Is the tempo map itself exactly on the beats?

Old 07-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
Misterbg3

Upon investigating, I put both files on the track and discovered that in fact, the measures were incorrect - one file had more measures (Sorry about that). I corrected this, and the midis aligned almost perfectly! Now, instead, it cuts off a small portion of the new midi.
I have attached a picture of this. As you can see, everything is now perfectly aligned except it cuts off about one or more seconds of the ending.

There are many such items that i need to process similarly so I'm hoping we can find a solution that would work in bulk processing.

Last edited by Misterbg3; 05-30-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
SonicAxiom

If one item is cut off maybe the original MIDI item has been created with the wrong length already. Maybe the end of the time selection had been set too early. Or the exporting process has not been done/configured properly. Hard to say what went wrong. Have the MIDI items been created in Reaper via its project MIDI export function?

Looking at you last screenshot (not very large ), I see that only the last notes have been cut off. You could easily lengthen them to solve the issue. The question is if this happens with all items you try to tempo-map. Did you try another one yet?

regarding batch processing, I don't have any idea so far ...

Old 07-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #11
Misterbg3

Sonic, that was the final piece of the puzzle. it appears all loads correctly! I created them using two notation softwares; Sibelius and MuseScore2. Each one exports a midi with its own strengths and weaknesses. The last note on both files had a fermata. Once I removed it, everything imported correctly (No idea why) Im gonna celebrate now with hopes that that solves it for the rest of the files!
Thanks alot for your help!

ps: Wish i could upload larger pics, reaper really limited the pixel # and size.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #12
SonicAxiom

Glad it works now! Hope you manage to batch-process all the other files successfully!

Good luck!

PS: no problem regarding the screenshots. For convenient screen capturing, I'm using good old FastStone Capture 5.3 (last free version).